Author Topic: MacBook (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2006) gets stuck on Wallpaper when trying to update  (Read 914 times)

Thanks for all your help here guys, I got to mess with the MacBook a little but it needs factory reset, I can only do that with a disc though, so an adventure to the Apple Store on Sunday!

Unless any of you know how to factory reset it without the disc, anyone?

(I'm so sorry you can't see my username or anything, appearently there is a way to find out usernames if someone wants to prove that.)
Also perfect that this landed in page 2, it's like I just got into a new section of this!

Unfortunately, it is impossible to factory reset a Mac running 10.6 (unless you do that little trick to create a new admin account so you could possibly get it up to 10.6.8 and up to 10.7, you can ask me if you need an explanation) without the disc.

Also, I wouldn't really bet on upgrading it; Macs don't work very well with upgraded hardware (at least the older ones, I think from my research), but if you need some info on this kind of Mac, look here.

EDIT: I forgot to look at one of the posts, mentioning it was already upgraded. stuff.

Been using Macs since 2005 here.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:38:56 PM by Ahead »

just fyi the disk doesn't cost that much really

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

$20
I'm aware of that, that's why my dad and I are adventuring out to the Apple Store on Sunday.

As long as it's a Mac Pro 1,1 or later and you are ok with going through a grueling, hacky process to get it installed, then yes.

But let's just say there's a reason my Mac Pro 1,1 still only has 10.7 on it. :/

Somehow misread Macbook as Mac Pro... -_____-
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 04:30:45 AM by BluetoothBoy »

I found a way to put Yosemite on unsupported Macs, should I dual boot this with Snow Leopard?
Tutorial: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-yosemite-on-unsupported-macs-guide.1761432/

Honestly idk if you'd wanna do that, usually higher level OS's require more processing power to run.

Honestly idk if you'd wanna do that, usually higher level OS's require more processing power to run.
does anything still support 10.6?

Okay, so I got to reinstall the whole entire Laptop to remove previous private info, NOW it's all mine :D

Unfortunately the disc has 10.6.3 with it and I have to update to latest version. So I just update it from software update and when I click restart when it prompts me, it acts like it's shutting down, with the blue, but then shows nothing but my wallpaper.. and stays like that. I have tried twice now but it is the same cause. Anyone know how to fix this issue?