blocklands vignette discovery

Author Topic: blocklands vignette discovery  (Read 3866 times)

Right now blockland only has one two blending options. Normal and multiply.

For instance, here is what they look like

Normal

Multiply

multiply is actually seems to be a combination of vignette and a blank screen. the vignette uses the multiply blending and the blank screen uses another type of blending called overlay. heres a screenshot (no vignette) that i made in photoshop to replicate the effect in blockland

Multiply vignette with overlay screen (created in photoshop)

heres what they look like

Multiply (vignette)

Overlay (screen)

id say im right about this but this is just a little discovery that i noticed. it would be cool if we had more blending options and we can come up with combinations.

also, vignette really does bring out some beauty in the game.

well so just basically talk about how you use vignette or something

holy crap that really looks nice

I made some skyboxes a while back that make use of the overlay
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=272840.0

Can we make the vignette as dark as possible so we can enforce the level of darkness I'm trying to enforce with the lack of shaders?

Can we make the vignette as dark as possible so we can enforce the level of darkness I'm trying to enforce with the lack of shaders?
It won't work like that unless you just turn everyone's screen black

It won't work like that unless you just turn everyone's screen black

Let's do it.

Let's do it.
Just have a one-sided black plane placed in front of the player's face as to avoid needing a client mod

I used this to make everything look dustier on CTF_Canyon.

I quickly wrote this Vignette Multiply client which allows for greater server control over the vignette multiply functionality.

Usage: commandToClient(%client, 'setVignette', 0, %vignette, %multiply);

If %multiply has an alpha of 0, then it will be additive; if it has an alpha of 1, it will be subtractive. So "1 0 0 0" makes everything appear redder, "1 0 0 1" makes everything but red appear black.  If %multiply is missing, it will fall back to the default functionality.

wait so is this server or client sided?

wait so is this server or client sided?
Server, it is an environment setting.

ooh snap dude gotta check this out

Xalos' thing is client sided.
The default vignette is client sided, but the server can tell the client what to set their vignette to(it'd be easy to make a client sided script to ignore what the server tells you to set your vignette to).