Author Topic: Am I able to handle a new graphics card?  (Read 1583 times)

I'm looking for a new GPU since my GeForce GT 625 really isn't delivering what I want. I'm trying to play games like Overwatch and struggling with a good framerate.

Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 625
1920 x 1080 res
Model M51AC

If I'm missing any necessary info, let me know.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:32:47 PM by Akio- »

All of that is good. What's your power supply specs? that's where the real issues might come into play, because if you don't have the power capabilities than you'll also need a new PSU.

why'd you get a 625 with that cpu anyways? you can definitely handle a beefy gpu as long as you've got the wattage for it

All of that is good. What's your power supply specs? that's where the real issues might come into play, because if you don't have the power capabilities than you'll also need a new PSU.
I don't know where to find that. :S
why'd you get a 625 with that cpu anyways? you can definitely handle a beefy gpu as long as you've got the wattage for it
Bought it all together @ Bestbuy a few years ago.

There are a ton of different cards you can get. I would keep with Nvidia since it seems to be good with gaming and a lot of games like it.

One famous card is the GTX 970. It's around $300 and will allow you to play about any AAA games at 1080p on some of the highest settings. It's about the best consumer grade card for 1080p gaming.

If you're looking to max out any game and play above 4k, you can look towards the GTX 980 TI, which is overkill for most of anything. They go for about $600. (not that you're looking for that)

There are many cards in between that you could look for though. The GTX 750 ti with your processor will offer about the same power as a PS4 or xBox One, and it costs around $100 - $150.

Just browse Nvidia's site for their GTX cards.

look inside the case, there should be a box in either the top or bottom with a bunch of wires going to it that has a wattage sticker on it.

There are a ton of different cards you can get. I would keep with Nvidia since it seems to be good with gaming and a lot of games like it.
amd is fully capable of gaming lol

One famous card is the GTX 970
I'm interesting in buying the GTX 970; not interested in spending more for a power supply.

Yeah, the GTX 970 is a great card, but beefier cards require more power. Look around your power supply for a wattage sticker, if you can't find that, find the model number and look it up online. If you don't have enough power for the GTX 970, you might have to upgrade the power supply or look for a slightly less beefier card.

I doubt you'll have a problem with power though.

There's no sticker w/ wattage anywhere on my computer :(

Lookng up the model #, it says this.
ASUS Power Pack — a removable UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that can also be used as a portable battery1
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:30:54 PM by Akio- »

if your hands arent broken or gone, you should handle it fine XD

But seriously you should be good to go

According to that site, your computer would either have
350 W Peak
300 W Peak
500 W Peak

The GTX 970 will work optimally at 500W, so if you don't have that I don't think it will really work.

i dont care if you want a gtx 970 get rid of that stuffty power supply in that star fish tower. i dont trust any oem power supply.
edit: i meant asus
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:56:16 PM by Willco2 »

i dont care if you want a gtx 970 get rid of that stuffty power supply in that star fish tower. i dont trust any oem power supply.

yeah seriously this

I don't get how the OEM power supply is so bad.

If the power supply has enough power to supply the GTX 970 and the rest of the computer and has a good enough rating, it should do fine. While it may be worth while for Akio to invest into a better power supply I don't think it's worth it. I don't know your budget either Akio.