Author Topic: I think I might have Asperger's?  (Read 2440 times)

Apologies if I don't really make sense in this post, since I tend to just ramble off on semi-random tangents that don't really make sense as a whole. I'd also appreciate if this topic was taken seriously, even given the nature of this forum. Even if it's just to tell me I'm being stupid - I'd appreciate that, actually.

To start off, I was never really officially diagnosed with anything, mostly because my mom was and still is pretty laid-back when it comes to health and all that, so we never really bothered checking, since it never seemed like an issue. I just act weirdly sometimes, and we pretty much left it at that.

Even then - and I guess this is one of the bigger questions with me making this topic - is Asperger's something that can just be missed or overlooked in that case? Similarly to a lot of other mental disorders that often get grazed over? If so, is it worth testing for it, or if possible, looking for treatment, when I'm 20 years old now? I've only heard and read about it in relevance to kids in highschool or younger. I'm far from being an actual adult, but still.

I tested 'likely' here. I haven't just interpreted the result as fact because I'm not that stupid, and I'm positive the test is trash anyway. But I've looked more and more into it and thought more about myself and how I tend to operate, and I'm just really overly curious now, confirmation bias aside. I know it's probably not that big of a deal if I just happen to qualify as a person that just happens to fall under the umbrella of people who have Asperger's, but if I do, it feels really, really wrong to just leave that notion alone.

What should I do?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:31:36 PM by Kingdaro »

welcome to the crew

kick back and relax like me dude aint nothing wrong with a little spectrum

Were you vaccinated? If so, you do.

bah, anyone who ever had even a glimpse at these forums obtained autism

Were you vaccinated? If so, you do.

wait are you joking or am i handicapped

kick back and relax like me dude aint nothing wrong with a little spectrum

But I've looked more and more into it and thought more about myself and how I tend to operate, and I'm just really overly curious now, confirmation bias aside.
depends on what kind of "traits" you have and whether they're genuine autism or just a human trait

probably joking

Of course I'm joking. As someone studying medicine, I'd love to whack the anti-vaccines morons with my notebook and textbooks.

depends on what kind of "traits" you have and whether they're genuine autism or just a human trait
I have to agree with this. What behaviors do you exhibit that cause you to think this way?

That's good to point out. I'll list some of the correlations that lead me here, from this page. Unsure of the page's credibility.

1. A significant, ongoing impairment in social interactions with others, as demonstrated by at least two of the following symptoms:

Significant difficulty in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as the lack of eye contact, few facial expressions, awkward or clumsy body postures and gestures
Yes.

Failure to develop friendships with other children of the same age
Not really? Though I always ask the question of whether or not my friends are actually 'friends'. Every other conversation I have with peers and coworkers outside of a select few always feel super formal. Plus, of course, my 'friends' during childhood were just pricks that made fun of me half of the time. So maybe yes.

Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
Yes, one hundred percent. Though I'm unsure if being able to be happy for others' achievements is just a part of growing up or not.

Failure to express appropriate and corresponding social or emotional reactions, such as when conversing or playing with others. For example, a child who shows little or no reaction, feelings or empathy to another child talking with them.
Yes, but again, unsure if heavy lack of empathy is part of growing up.

2. Restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as shown by at least one of the following symptoms:

A significant and encompassing preoccupation or obsession with one or two restricted topics, that is abnormal either in intensity, subject or focus (such as baseball statistics or the weather)
Possibly. I'm certain programming doesn't count as an 'abnormal activity', but pretty much anything I'm interested in, I'll go deep into it until I'm satisfied, which is rarely, even forgetting to eat a lot of the time.

Seemingly inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals that serve little purpose
Possibly. I don't take showers as often as I probably should, but I just don't like showering. Most other things I don't do that I should, I just... don't. Even simple things.

Repetitive motor mannerisms. For example, hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements.
Random finger tapping on counters? That's probably more of a result of playing rhythm games than anything else. I couldn't think of anything else for this one.

A persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
Have no idea what the forget this is.

3. The set of symptoms causes significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
Social? Yeah, I'm pretty much the textbook definition of socially inept. Always miss meanings and others often misinterpret what I want to say.

4. There is no significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2, communicative phrases used by age 3).
Not sure about this one, but it's a fair bet I've picked up language without an issue.

5. There is no significant delay in cognitive development (such as reading or math skills) or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, behavior, and curiosity about the environment in childhood.
My math and reading skills were next level, according to my teachers when I was younger. Not even bragging, I was always talked about like I was hot stuff as a kid. Honestly, it was kind of annoying. Not nearly so much in high school, though. There it sort of just stagnated. Suddenly I was just really bad at picking up new math concepts, and my reading skills are and have been awful since like middle school.

I considered editing the title to focus more specifically on Asperger's than Autism Spectrum Diseases, since the former seems like a lesser and more focused subset of the other. Otherwise I'd probably know for sure.

Unless behaviors are cause significant difficulty in your life, there's no need to seek "treatment"

What kind of "treatment" ?

Unless behaviors are cause significant difficulty in your life, there's no need to seek "treatment"
There's something wrong with me and I want to know what it is. The closer I am to knowing the closer I am to getting rid of it and not having to randomly feel like stuff at 3AM in the morning because of something stupid that happened in relation to who I am.

What kind of "treatment" ?
I don't know. I'm unsure if that's even a thing.

Some of the treatment might include staying off the BLF

ya know, to get the Autism levels down