Author Topic: Material Design Colorset  (Read 3318 times)

It's a colorset that's supposed to have a lot of uses, because, why not?

Link to download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vo7i1jf4wj02d3i/Colorset_MaterialDesign.zip?dl=0

Link to preview with three builds: http://goo.gl/2kzpRs

Link to colorset preview: http://goo.gl/mVCxgn

Source for colors: https://goo.gl/XoRtb0

Credits: Google for the first three columns, and grayscale, credit to me for the browns and transparents.

Note: I have changed the browns and transparents on 4/8/16

I changed the download link to the direct Dropbox link instead of using a URL shortener on 4/9/16 because a download link violates the Google URL shortener terms of policy
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:54:50 PM by theviacom »

pics (of the color grid) please

browns aren't great and the light browns are way too light, along with the dark browns being way too dark

one thing ive noticed on a lot of colorsets are a full color scale, and then duplicates of said color scale in different tints/saturations/etc

honestly, such duplicates are rarely useful. if you try to build with them you'll notice you'll default to one row when it comes to  using primaries. softs are an exception (lightly saturated) but you rarely need similar softs (see the third last and second last color in the first row)

the best colorsets tend to come after weeks of testing through building with it. you'll find you'll want certain colors depending on the situation, and sequentially adding these special colors develops your colorset fairly well. Trueno's colorset specials are a good example, while emil's colorset and architectural revised are basically 70-80% specially chosen colors.

Wow, holy crap, I was inactive for a while.  Here's some question answering.

one thing ive noticed on a lot of colorsets are a full color scale, and then duplicates of said color scale in different tints/saturations/etc

honestly, such duplicates are rarely useful. if you try to build with them you'll notice you'll default to one row when it comes to  using primaries. softs are an exception (lightly saturated) but you rarely need similar softs (see the third last and second last color in the first row)

the best colorsets tend to come after weeks of testing through building with it. you'll find you'll want certain colors depending on the situation, and sequentially adding these special colors develops your colorset fairly well. Trueno's colorset specials are a good example, while emil's colorset and architectural revised are basically 70-80% specially chosen colors.

I suppose I sort of screwed up in trying to make this general purpose.  Not really great with anything, not terrible either.

browns aren't great and the light browns are way too light, along with the dark browns being way too dark

Got it.  Will fix soon.

this
also did you test this?

Yeah, I tested it before. 

pics (of the color grid) please
-snip-

Thanks.  Here's the new, obligatory preview.

This is not the fixed version preview, but I suppose I should have given a preview some time or another.  I was being a really stuffty content creator and Blocklander in not responding to you people.  I will edit the original post to provide the new file, and I will give a new preview as well as download links.

First off, don't be too hard on yourself. It's a colorset, not an essential addon that could hinder people's gameplay if you don't update it.

Your colors are okay but not optimal. As the creator of a popular colorset myself, here's my feedback:

• You have way too many colors that are too similar to be useful (e.g all the yellows, pinks/purples) Distinguish your yellows and oranges a bit more to make it look both more appealing and to provide a better selection of colors.
  • You also have 2 useful greens and 2 neon greens. Fix that by replacing the many purples with different greens. (Not a TON of people use more than 2-3 purple-ish colors in their builds. Try and come up with a perfect purple color and a perfect pink color that suits needs, if you have space after that, THEN add more purples/pinks if necessary.
  • Most of your darks aren't dark enough. On the other hand, your pastel colors need to be a tad bit softer. They're borderline neon colors.
  • Smooth out the transitioning of colors in your greys/browns. There aren't enough tans and greys.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:54:51 PM by Khaz »

First off, don't be too hard on yourself. It's a colorset, not an essential addon that could hinder people's gameplay if you don't update it.

Your colors are okay but not optimal. As the creator of a popular colorset myself, here's my feedback:

• You have way too many colors that are too similar to be useful (e.g all the yellows, pinks/purples) Distinguish your yellows and oranges a bit more to make it look both more appealing and to provide a better selection of colors.
  • You also have 2 useful greens and 2 neon greens. Fix that by replacing the many purples with different greens. (Not a TON of people use more than 2-3 purple-ish colors in their builds. Try and come up with a perfect purple color and a perfect pink color that suits needs, if you have space after that, THEN add more purples/pinks if necessary.
  • Most of your darks aren't dark enough. On the other hand, your pastel colors need to be a tad bit softer. They're borderline neon colors.
  • Smooth out the transitioning of colors in your greys/browns. There aren't enough tans and greys.

Alright.  Part of the whole thing here is that the colorset is, as suggested, based off of Google's material design colors, and I really had no idea what else I should work on. 
I am about to release a new file that will be listed in the original post and going to add a preview.

The browns/greys looks much cleaner.

Download link seems to not be working...