Nvidia GTX 1080, apparently "twice as fast" as GTX 980 and Titan X

Author Topic: Nvidia GTX 1080, apparently "twice as fast" as GTX 980 and Titan X  (Read 7780 times)

GENERATION 10|80 POWER IDENTIFIER
GENERATION    9|80 POWER IDENTIFIER

Intel and AMD do the same thing, but they both used 4 numbers to identify their components. Intel also a number of modifiers, such as "M" for "Mobile", "Q" for "Quad", "K" for "Unlocked" and so on, while NVIDIA use the "GT", "GTS" and "GTX" signifier and "M" modifier.

i wonder what GT and GTS meant then

GENERATION 10|80 POWER IDENTIFIER
GENERATION    9|80 POWER IDENTIFIER

Intel and AMD do the same thing, but they both used 4 numbers to identify their components. Intel also a number of modifiers, such as "M" for "Mobile", "Q" for "Quad", "K" for "Unlocked" and so on, while NVIDIA use the "GT", "GTS" and "GTX" signifiers and "M" modifier.[/size]
Oh wow I never knew about this, this is some good info

i wonder what GT and GTS meant then
There's actually heaps more, such as GS, GSO, ZT, XT etc. And Quadro uses an entirely different naming scheme.

The important thing to recognise is that GTX cards are your High-Level Consumer Market cards.

There's actually heaps more, such as GS, GSO, ZT, XT etc. And Quadro uses an entirely different naming scheme.

The important thing to recognise is that GTX cards are your High-Level Consumer Market cards.

p cool

where they used in the old days or something?

p cool

where they used in the old days or something?
Not all of them. G, GT and GTS are still used for Low and Medium equipment. These are generally sold directly to OEM/Prebuilders like Dell or ASUS who want to build cheap low-spec machines for businesses (my gaming college use GTS cards).

Most people who are building their own custom systems will want the high-end stuff, hence why you tend to only see GTX cards on the market.

if the 1080 works in the alienware graphics amplifier I'm totally getting both
I think doing that would be better than trying to get the 1080m in my laptop if one comes out for that, since for mobile things my 980m is already good enough and doesn't kill the battery too quickly, while the 1080 might

Not all of them. G, GT and GTS are still used for Low and Medium equipment. These are generally sold directly to OEM/Prebuilders like Dell or ASUS who want to build cheap low-spec machines for businesses (my gaming college use GTS cards).
Yeah my computer has a GeForce GT 745m

Most people who are building their own custom systems will want the high-end stuff, hence why you tend to only see GTX cards on the market.

if that's the case then i wonder if they can be made for schools too

my computers at my high school use dell stuff but i can't really tell what's inside them

lol what the forget i just bought a freesync monitor for my R9 390X

I have an EVGA GTX 970 in a different computer that I'll probably use to step up to the GTX 1080... but now I'm gonna have to return the freesync monitor and get a gsync model

that's all assuming that the claims are true and the GTX 1080 doesn't perform just slightly above a GTX 980 Ti in practice (just like with the GTX 980 and GTX 780 Ti)

Intel also a number of modifiers, such as "M" for "Mobile", "Q" for "Quad", "K" for "Unlocked" and so on
what about "H"

what about "H"
On Intel devices:

K: Unlocked
H: Hyper-Threading + Turbo-Boost
Q: Quad-Core
T: Low Performance/Low Power Draw
U: Ultra Low Performance/Ultra Low Power Draw

There are other ones.

BTW, for those unaware:

Hyper-Threading basically works by splitting your physical cores (Most computers these days are Duo (2) or Quad (4) core) into double the amount as "Logical Cores" (so 2 becomes 4, 4 becomes 8 etc). This works by performing specific instructions super quick, assuming that certain programs have been optimised for Hyper-Threading.

Turbo-Boost means your CPU runs at a lower, cooler clock rate (that GHz number is your Clock Rate, which represents how many "CPU cycles" or instructions can be carried out in a second) until the Operating System demands more power, at which point it "boosts" up to its' full rate. It's designed to improve the life cycle of your CPU.

On Intel devices:

K: Unlocked
H: Hyper-Threading + Turbo-Boost
Q: Quad-Core
T: Low Performance/Low Power Draw
U: Ultra Low Performance/Ultra Low Power Draw

There are other ones.
ah okay. i have an i7-4710HQ so i was kind of wondering what it meant

lol what the forget i just bought a freesync monitor for my R9 390X

I have an EVGA GTX 970 in a different computer that I'll probably use to step up to the GTX 1080... but now I'm gonna have to return the freesync monitor and get a gsync model

that's all assuming that the claims are true and the GTX 1080 doesn't perform just slightly above a GTX 980 Ti in practice (just like with the GTX 980 and GTX 780 Ti)
tbh what is the difference between G-Sync and Free-sync? Like, would a Free-sync monitor work just as well as a G-Sync one? Because I was going to get a BenQ XL2730Z for my 1070 build.

ah okay. i have an i7-4710HQ so i was kind of wondering what it meant
BTW, for Intel i3/i5/i7 series CPUs:

GENERATION 4|790 SKU NUMBER

EDIT: Intel is loving weird.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:49:33 AM by McJob »