Poll

The bears

Bearenstein
30 (61.2%)
Bearenstain
19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Doesn't space seem a little too "odd" to you.  (Read 8246 times)

This is the weirdest thread I've seen in a while
it only gets weirder man

lets start talking about reverse half-loop mobius temporal entropy-less multiversal timelines

For example what is Dark Matter, why does it make up 90% of our universe and seemingly not exist?

How can our universe keep expanding?

How does the universe just suddenly appear from nothing?

Why is it that every time we try exploring space to discover the truth the universe keeps getting bigger.

What's up with the giant space roar?

What the forget is pulling our entire milky way galaxy, something is dragging our galaxy in like a tractor beam.

Alright, let me go through and answer one by one.

1. What is Dark Matter, why does it make up 90% of our universe and seemingly not exist?

It doesn't. Dark Matter occupies 26.8% of our observable universe, and it doesn't "seemingly not exist." It has observable effects on the rest of the universe. Since it has mass, it pulls on other matter around it via gravity. To answer the first part, it is matter that doesn't react with electromagnetic radiation. In case you didn't pay attention in physics in high school, electromagnetic radiation is basically every form of energy besides force. It's light, microwaves, heat, x-rays, etc, etc. Basically, all the tools we have to observe things aside from sound.

2. How can our universe keep expanding?

This one has two answers. First off, imagine an explosion. Now imagine an explosion with no gravity, and no air resistance. In theory, the particulate matter would keep moving away from the origin point of the explosion forever, correct? Well, according to the big bang theory, that's exactly what happened with the universe. For point two, there's something called dark energy. It is observable that the universe is expanding more and more rapidly. Based basic logic, for something to gain speed energy (force) needs to be applied to it. Thus, there needs to be some kind of force being applied to the universe away from the center of the universe: dark energy.

3. How does the universe just suddenly appear from nothing?

Well, this one is tough to say. Imagine you've got a really cool play-doh structure, then you smash it up into a ball and die. Someone else comes around and picks up the same ball, and builds something cool with it. An admirer passes by and says "That's cool! What did you build before that?"

"Well, this is the first thing I built with it. When I found it it was just a ball."

It's the same kind of deal with the universe: we can't tell what it was before we "found" it, and we "found" it during the big bang. You can theorize all day, but when you trace it back as far as you can, you end up with a super-dense ball full of energy. It's really impossible to tell how it got there.

4. Why is it that every time we try exploring space to discover the truth the universe keeps getting bigger.

It doesn't. Imagine you're in a foggy, unfamiliar city. You can only see about one block in each direction. You walk down one street for an hour, and you see nothing but more buildings. Is the city expanding? No, you're just exploring more of it and discovering more. It's the same way with the universe, as we explore further into it we see more stuff. The stuff was there before we saw it, we just didn't know it was there 'cause we hadn't seen it yet. You can still only see one block in each direction, but the only stuff you know is there is the stuff you've already seen.

5. What's up with the giant space roar?

You could be talking about a couple of things.

The first is the "space roar" detected by NASA in 2009. This is a radio signal detected from space. To begin with, it's totally possible that the equipment was faulty and caused this. But, regardless, even if it's not, we know what radio galaxies are and the space roar is essentially just saying that they are emitting more radiation than previously thought. Not too sure what the confusion is on this first one.

The second is the "Wow! signal" which put simply was a very strong radio signal detected from the Sagittarius constellation of unknown origin. It hasn't been detected again, so all we really have is a record of something happening. There's an infinite number of possible causes, and it's probably not worth looking into much unless you're fantasizing about aliens broadcasting a signal.

The third thing I think you might be talking about is "cosmic background radiation" which is just radiation of ambiguous sources we observe via the sky. To be honest, it's just kind of to be expected. Almost everything out there radiates some kind of electromagnetic radiation, so it makes sense that some of it hits the earth.

The fourth (or maybe third and a half) thing I think you might be talking about is "cosmic microwave background radiation. This one is kind of hard to put in layman's terms, but basically it is the oldest light in the universe. It was created shortly after the big bang, and is caused by recombination which is even harder to put in laymans terms, but basically the big bang created a TON of energy, and because we know that mass is just another form of energy (e=mc^2) that energy eventually formed subatomic particles (read: electronics and protons) which eventually combined to form the simplest atom: hydrogen. Prior to this formation, the photons (read: light) created by the big bang would collide with the evenly distributed protons and electrons before it could get very far, so none of that was able to escape. However, once these protons and electrons started to form atoms, more space was available between them for light to escape. Plus, this combination itself emitted energy. So, since this energy comes from the first things that happened in the universe, it is the oldest energy in the universe.

6. What the forget is pulling our entire milky way galaxy, something is dragging our galaxy in like a tractor beam.

At first, I wasn't quite sure what you meant by this, and I was going to say something generic about how of course the galaxy is expanding because everything is expanding and of course it is being pulled on because everything is attracted to everything because of gravity. However, I did a quick google search to see if you might be talking about something more specific, and now I think you're speaking of either the great attractor (which isn't even really that much of a mystery) which is just the center point of the nearby galaxies, so it'd be the point at which all things in our local galaxy cluster are being pulled towards, or you may be speaking of the shapley supercluster which is the largest collection of galaxies that are close to us, which we are being pulled towards because larger things have more gravity and thus pull with more force.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:17:18 PM by $trinick »

That's 1 big ass cloud, 10,000 galaxies are missing from it.

If you were looking at a crowd of people from far away when a car moves in front of you, would you then think that the crowd of people suddenly disappeared?

Why are you so existential?

of course, that's why it's so interesting.

All life on Earth has only ever had to worry about life on Earth. All the physical laws any living being here has ever had to worry about before humans are the ones that directly apply to them.
The fact that we have not experienced all there is to experience means that some things aren't going to make sense to us immediately. Sure you can find a bunch of sensationalist forgetwit science journalists who only get paid of they make out every new discovery to be the death knell of our understanding of reality but really none of the things you've asked about are particularly deep or disturbing insights or queries about the nature of the universe. It is best to leave questions of science to people who have studied it.

it only gets weirder man

lets start talking about reverse half-loop mobius temporal entropy-less multiversal timelines
Is killing myself possible in one of those timelines

Is killing myself possible in one of those timelines
only if you believe

Does it scare anybody that it could be possible that something completely random could just wipe us out in an instant? Like, nothing conspiracy-like, I'm not actively warning against it or anything, but y'gotta imagine it'd be possible. I don't even know what it would be. Massive beam of somethingorother?

Does it scare anybody that it could be possible that something completely random could just wipe us out in an instant? Like, nothing conspiracy-like, I'm not actively warning against it or anything, but y'gotta imagine it'd be possible. I don't even know what it would be. Massive beam of somethingorother?
or rather, the collapse of the universe. if everything was suddenly wiped out, you wouldn't even know it.

It doesn't scare me because it's entirely out of my control.

some eldritch monster will be moving about and would accidentally step on earth like accientally stepping on an ant

it actually fascinates me, not scares me