HTC Vive Topic (ITS ALIVE!)

Author Topic: HTC Vive Topic (ITS ALIVE!)  (Read 3232 times)

It's working! The fix was surprisingly simple--it has to be plugged into the same GPU as my dominant monitor. This wasn't stated anywhere, but a kind soul on Reddit informed me of it. It's working great even in my small space, and I'm super excited!

I just ordered the HTC vive for $894. Hope it's worth it. The $94 was for $30 in shipping and almost $70 in taxes, which was really strange. I'm guessing they must be manufactured in some other country or something for the tax to be that high.

This is the Vive:

For those curious, I paid $494 of it, and I got both of my parents to pay $200 as a birthday present. I placed the order a few minutes ago, and it's expected to arrive in early June. I'll update this thread to talk about it once it arrives.

On the Oculus Rift:

For those curious, I also ordered the Oculus Rift, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone:
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=249170.0

The major issue with the Oculus is that you'll never be particularly immersed for a few reasons. For one, you're always sitting with your hands on the keyboard. This means you don't feel like you are really in that place, it just looks like you are. But even when looking around, you can tell it's fake because the games that came with it didn't have very good graphics, and also, the resolution was very low. For another, 2-3 cords trail behind you at all times, making it easy to get wrapped up. It's an amazing product, but not worth $300 (and now its $700).

For those looking for a VR experience, I'd recommend the Google Cardboard. It's only $15, you won't get wrapped up in cords, and your phone has a MUCH higher resolution than the Oculus. The only problem is that you can't really play games with it, since there are no controls. If you really love that and want more, invest and go for the Vive.

The only game I preferred with the Oculus was Minecraft, which felt like it was supposed to have the Oculus with it from the beggining.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:32:10 PM by McZealot »

can i give you $200 for your oculus

I plan on ordering myself one sometime soon. I'm super hyped and I haven't even ordered it yet lol

can i give you $200 for your oculus
I'd actually sell my Oculus for $60. It's a bit beaten up (the box is missing a hinge) and it's the old dev kit that doesn't have location tracking. The lenses are a bit scratched (not noticeable when worn though). It's been used for 200+ hours of games and then 5000+ hours as a footrest so it's naturally a bit worn.

someone actually took me up on this offer :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:58:31 PM by McZealot »

i'm only slightly jealous.

slightly.

I want one
but I'm 15 so not happening unless I get myself a job.

I'm guessing they must be manufactured in some other country or something for the tax to be that high.
dog, almost everything you buy is manufactured in another country. especially electronics

Someone at my studio brought in their Vive and showed it off. I don't even work in the Broadcasting area but I left class and ran over to check it out. I only tried it for 3-4 minutes but it was really impressive. Will list my pros and cons.

-- First thing I noticed was that you get bad tunnel vision when you first put it on. It seems like you are wearing a mask and the corner of your eyes are just black. This is ESPECIALLY noticeable when looking at bright images. Once you start looking around casually, it becomes pretty unnoticeable.

-- Next thing I noticed was that you can see the pixels by their slight RGB distortion when you first put on the helmet. Once I let my eyes relax and focus on the "distance" they became totally invisible.

-+ Looking around visually seemed pretty standard. The quality was a little better than the Oculus Rift, and on-par with Google Cardboard.

++ The first thing I noticed once I adjusted to the visuals was how real the controllers looked. The framerate was so high, I was genuinely confused, and sat there mesmerized for a moment, just twirling them about. It was a little creepy, feeling almost as though your arms had disappeared.

++ My next action was bending down and touching the floor, and I almost gasped. It was really there. Or at least, the real floor was. But stroking the VR floor felt real, and it was extremely unnerving. I reached out and grabbed a VR handrail, and almost fell over. I gasped as my hand just slid through this thing that should be real. It was insane.

++ Next, I walked over to the edge of a balcony, and felt dizzy. I inadvertently stepped back, and it seemed as though I might trip and fall. The visuals were impressive, but once you approached a drop, it just felt... real. Like you were worried you'd fall into this pit that doesn't exist. I wasn't brave enough to step a foot out off the cliff.

i want this really badly because it looks so cool to use

Aw man that sounds like it'd be so much fun. I would love to have an experience like that although it would be trippy as hell it still seems fun

Did you ever try the Rift CV1 or simply just DK versions so far?
You're aware that the CV1 is also stand-up compatible and controllers are planned to be released soon?

I also don't want to argue on the "Facebook" rant, I just wanna know if the Rift might be comparable to the Vive once those controllers will be released

Did you ever try the Rift CV1 or simply just DK versions so far?
You're aware that the CV1 is also stand-up compatible and controllers are planned to be released soon?

I also don't want to argue on the "Facebook" rant, I just wanna know if the Rift might be comparable to the Vive once those controllers will be released
I used the first DK version released. However, the CV1 is barely different. Higher resolution, tilt and lean comparability. My main complaints stay the same. Definitely not worth an additional $400.

I used the first DK version released. However, the CV1 is barely different. Higher resolution, tilt and lean comparability. My main complaints stay the same. Definitely not worth an additional $400.

What are your main complaints?

What are your main complaints?
The major issue with the Oculus is that you'll never be particularly immersed for a few reasons. For one, you're always sitting with your hands on the keyboard. This means you don't feel like you are really in that place, it just looks like you are. But even when looking around, you can tell it's fake because the games that came with it didn't have very good graphics, and also, the resolution was very low. For another, 2-3 cords trail behind you at all times, making it easy to get wrapped up.
You could stand up on any version of the Oculus Rift, but you won't be able to move.

You could stand up on any version of the Oculus Rift, but you won't be able to move.

That's what those "Touch" controllers will be made for, room-scale VR.
But for sure, you wont be able to move more than the Vive, probably because of accuracy of cameras. Moving around is still possible with the Rift, and will be fully functional with those future controllers.
Then for the price, I'm pretty sure the actual price of those controllers + Rift will meet the final price of Vive.

To be honest right now, the best VR experience is the Vive, mostly because of number of games available on Steam VR, but especially since it was made for room-scale VR.
I ordered the Rift mostly because I couldn't afford the Vive (high bull stuff europe prices), and I don't have much room for room-scale VR. Currently waiting for June delivery.