Author Topic: Monitor is doing nothing  (Read 1912 times)

ya'll making jokes are asshats, the guy just wants help

strangely when I made help topics I didn't get jokes, whats the deal

the guy needs help not bad jokes

Monitors aren't my strong suit, but let's try some basic things and see where we get.

So, quick questions:

• Is the problem that the Monitor doesn't turn on, or that it doesn't display the PC's screen?
  • What's the normal cord your monitor is connected to your GPU? Component, VGA, Digital or HDMI?
  • Does your computer have two sets of graphic inputs (usually there's some inputs higher up, these connect to the motherboard directly)? Have you tried the other ones?
  • Have you changed any Windows display settings recently?
  • Have you tested with another monitor/TV screen?

Hopefully we can get to the root of this ASAP. I know how loving annoying it can be, and hopefully it'll be something simple.

then how are you reading this????? 😒😐 gtfo

unless the cables are visibly broken or extremely old I doubt new cables will fix your issue

cant help beyond that but don't waste money on new cables you might not need
as far as i can remember, pretty sure both cables i just used are rather old
Monitors aren't my strong suit, but let's try some basic things and see where we get.

So, quick questions:

• Is the problem that the Monitor doesn't turn on, or that it doesn't display the PC's screen?
  • What's the normal cord your monitor is connected to your GPU? Component, VGA, Digital or HDMI?
  • Does your computer have two sets of graphic inputs (usually there's some inputs higher up, these connect to the motherboard directly)? Have you tried the other ones?
  • Have you changed any Windows display settings recently?
  • Have you tested with another monitor/TV screen?

Hopefully we can get to the root of this ASAP. I know how loving annoying it can be, and hopefully it'll be something simple.
Doesnt display anything from my pc
VGA, HDMI and DVID are whats on the back of my monitor, but my card doesnt have a VGA but has another that looks like a DVID, dont remember the name of it though
Using my motherboard didnt work
No new settings, both cases this happened randomly, first was downloading music after playing darksouls for like 2 hours, second was after playing doom for probably 5
Currently no way for me to test my cables

then how are you reading this????? 😒😐 gtfo
kys

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again?

well went out and bought a new HDMI, its currently working but guess I'll see in like another day or so

well went out and bought a new HDMI, its currently working but guess I'll see in like another day or so
im glad to hear its out and being productive! employment is a good way to stay busy and keep your mind occupied :-)

Oh...glad to hear that worked, sorry you had to buy a new cord. Hopefully it does stick, though.

nope, literally just starting doing it again, dont understand. Switching back between the cables doesnt work. Literally the only thing in common between every time its cut out is that its after Im done playing a game, I think?

Mmm, it doesn't sound like a hardware fault, but more like a software-related issue. Specifically, it sounds like Windows is switching focus back to a monitor that doesn't exist or something to that effect?

Next time you can see the screen, could you find out what monitors are listed in these three places:
  • The Resolution Screen (right-click Desktop, click "Display Resolution" or "Display Settings")
  • Your GPU's software page (For example, with NVIDIA you open the NVIDIA Control Panel and then go to "Set up multiple displays" and/or "Change resolution")
  • Device Manager (Look under the "Monitors" tab)

Again, not an expert, but I'm thinking about what could be causing this problem.

okay Im not understanding anything anymore, tried a different monitor, didnt work either
what would have been the signs of my video card failing?

using my motherboard for video worked, guess my card died

false alarm everybody, apparently it was just a speck of dust in a socket somewhere
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:53:24 PM by Spartan923 »