Author Topic: Linux is absolute trash, and the community is made up of entitled liars.  (Read 502 times)

i have deeply invested myself into windows, macos and several linux distributions and i like them all for what they are. elitists that constantly have to flex about how their operating system is "superior" to what everyone else uses can be damned

also, regarding drivers: amd and intel drivers are fine on linux. in my experience nvidia drivers are where you get assforgeted because nvidia is a dumb and their drivers are proprietary - you have to either use the nouveau drivers which have crappy performance and are missing features or their proprietary drivers which have a tendency to break with things like system upgrades, don't support wayland, have lagging and stuttering on the various desktop environments ive tried, etc
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 06:52:41 PM by Mr Queeba »

I've had my Linux break a lot back when I used Fedora, Ubuntu and Arch.
Mint on the other hand is pretty stable and I would suggest it to all beginners
BTW did you dual boot Xubuntu with Windows? if so that could be the problem too, I've had windows forget my linux partitions over and over.

No, I had a seperate computer set aside. And Xubuntu was installed AFTER the OS was installed. And this particular example is in Pop!_OS.

Prior to Pop!_OS I was using Manjaro, but I also had issues with Manjaro. Similar Issues, so creating a whole section in the thread above would have been redundant.

No, I had a seperate computer set aside. And Xubuntu was installed AFTER the OS was installed. And this particular example is in Pop!_OS.

Prior to Pop!_OS I was using Manjaro, but I also had issues with Manjaro. Similar Issues, so creating a whole section in the thread above would have been redundant.
What exactly kind of hardware is the machine you were trying?

What exactly kind of hardware is the machine you were trying?
Forgive me on the specs being a bit vague, it's been a while

128gb SSD
r7 260x Radeon GPU
AMD Athlon CPU of some sort
16 GB DDr3 Ram

it's always amused me that installing headless ubuntu has a large purple gui to walk through it
absurdly easy to install, but i wouldn't use it as a main computer

Forgive me on the specs being a bit vague, it's been a while

128gb SSD
r7 260x Radeon GPU
AMD Athlon CPU of some sort
16 GB DDr3 Ram
I've had issues with older Athlon systems (on both Linux and Windows). Typically the issues ends up being compatibility of newer software with older motherboards and chipsets.
Not to say it's impossible to make them work. The SSH gateway to my entire network is an old, low-power Athlon x2 system. I got it to run Debian, but it's still stubborn at the best of times (On top of that, it's running SELinux, but that's not something for most people to worry about).
I also had an FX-8350 system that, to this day, has been rock-solid. The quality of boards from those generations, in my experience, is just somewhat hit-or-miss.

Most likely it's just something going wrong with the boot process though. The files are most likely still there.
Does it reach the GRUB menu before it freezes, or does it freeze straight out of the BIOS? And did Manjaro act the same, or was the issue different?

it's always amused me that installing headless ubuntu has a large purple gui to walk through it
absurdly easy to install, but i wouldn't use it as a main computer
Fun thing about that GUI. It's entirely drawn in a terminal window. It's a pretty neat trick dating all the way back to the days of DOS.
But no, I wouldn't try to use a headless system for everyday use.
You can. The tools exist.
But I can't think of any good reason to try.

I've had issues with older Athlon systems (on both Linux and Windows). Typically the issues ends up being compatibility of newer software with older motherboards and chipsets.
Not to say it's impossible to make them work. The SSH gateway to my entire network is an old, low-power Athlon x2 system. I got it to run Debian, but it's still stubborn at the best of times (On top of that, it's running SELinux, but that's not something for most people to worry about).
I also had an FX-8350 system that, to this day, has been rock-solid. The quality of boards from those generations, in my experience, is just somewhat hit-or-miss.

Most likely it's just something going wrong with the boot process though. The files are most likely still there.
Does it reach the GRUB menu before it freezes, or does it freeze straight out of the BIOS? And did Manjaro act the same, or was the issue different?
Fun thing about that GUI. It's entirely drawn in a terminal window. It's a pretty neat trick dating all the way back to the days of DOS.
But no, I wouldn't try to use a headless system for everyday use.
You can. The tools exist.
But I can't think of any good reason to try.

Both would reach the black screen with cursor, they never reached a gui after the issues started occurring.

Both would reach the black screen with cursor, they never reached a gui after the issues started occurring.
I'm assuming that by it never reaching a GUI, you mean that it POSTs, passes GRUB, but then never (visibly) starts X/Wayland.
I'm also assuming, in your original post, that when you said a "hit a specific set of keys", you mean the Ctrl+Alt+F2,F3,etc. to switch the virtual terminal window.
It's either that, or it landed you in GRUB, but GRUB was unable to locate the file necessary to continue the boot process, and the terminal you ended up at was the GRUB terminal.

If it's the former you should be able to log in and view your logs to see what's actually happening.
You can also hit escape after GRUB to watch the system's boot progress.
If it's the latter, well... that's a different process as your system hasn't actually booted...
There are things you can do about it though.

You were following a guide online correct?
If the guide failed, it's possible it was making the wrong assumptions of what was wrong.
It could very well be something simple, just obfuscated by the fact that you can't reach the desktop. That tends to make things difficult.

OP unironically put more time into making this thread and formatting it instead of figuring out how to install linux