Author Topic: How the hell do I color the SFM Blockheads in Source Filmmaker?  (Read 1898 times)

So I've been loving around in SFM with the SFM Blockheads and I've had something like this so far before stuff started breaking, which was colored with Doc's Color Script

For some reason recently the colors haven't been saving properly for some reason, resulting in most of it turning white once I load the session again. Only random parts of the Blockheads actually seem to have the color saved.

Any reason why Doc's color script doesn't save the colors properly? I've already tried leaving a comment on the workshop page for Doc's color script AND I've already tried the "General Problems and Issues" discussion on the workshop page too, but Doc has been dead on Steam for almost a full month. Is there also any way to color the Blockheads WITHOUT Doc's broken script?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:18:26 AM by tber123 »

how do you do anything with them

Right click a model in the animation set editor, click 'Add Override Materials', right click the model's animation set, go to 'Show in Element Viewer', and select Model, scroll down and click the (+) next to 'materials', right click the name of the material you want to color, go to 'Add Attribute', click 'color', then name the attribute $color2, then click the (+) next to that material, and if you click the black bar to the right of the $color2 attribute, you can then change the color to whatever you want

how do you do anything with them
You basically have to spawn the torso, which i think is what i chose as the base of the Blockhead, then spawn the other body parts and attach them to the torso by dragging their animation sets onto the torso's animation set, then select the animation sets for the body parts and apply the 'One' preset to them in the Motion Editor to attach them to the actual model

I'm able to save, close, and re-open the SFM and my save file with a blockhead using Doc's script for the arms, hands, feet and pants, but i had to use the element viewer to color the head and torso so the decals remained un-colored

Make sure that your models don't have any of their transform locked to the transforms of any other model and that you select the rig 'setup_modelcoloring_theta_pys ide' and that the coloring is set to 'Color 2'
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:06:48 AM by Masterlegodude »

i might try sfm for once today

Right click a model in the animation set editor, click 'Add Override Materials', right click the model's animation set, go to 'Show in Element Viewer', and select Model, scroll down and click the (+) next to 'materials', right click the name of the material you want to color, go to 'Add Attribute', click 'color', then name the attribute $color2, then click the (+) next to that material, and if you click the black bar to the right of the $color2 attribute, you can then change the color to whatever you want
You basically have to spawn the torso, which i think is what i chose as the base of the Blockhead, then spawn the other body parts and attach them to the torso by dragging their animation sets onto the torso's animation set, then select the animation sets for the body parts and apply the 'One' preset to them in the Motion Editor to attach them to the actual model

I'm able to save, close, and re-open the SFM and my save file with a blockhead using Doc's script for the arms, hands, feet and pants, but i had to use the element viewer to color the head and torso so the decals remained un-colored

Make sure that your models don't have any of their transform locked to the transforms of any other model and that you select the rig 'setup_modelcoloring_theta_pys ide' and that the coloring is set to 'Color 2'

Setting the coloring to "Color 2" works inconsistently. The Blockhead on the right will now have all of his body save properly, but setting the coloring to "Color 2" for the rest of the Blockheads still results in most of their parts turning white. Transform locks are only to the Torso for that Blockhead, and noone else (Ex. Head4 locked to Torso 4 and only Torso 4).

This is also what I get when I try to color with the element viewer. Trying to add the "color" attribute to any of them will crash SFM.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:40:13 AM by tber123 »

This is also what I get when I try to color with the element viewer. Trying to add the "color" attribute to any of them will crash SFM.
This leads me to believe something is wrong with your SFM, either something broke or you downloaded some kind of script that at some point broke the element viewer

If you use Doc's coloring script or you use 'Add Override Materials' to create the materials in the element viewer, they should say the names of the materials and not <null>, and despite how often the SFM crashes from the most minor things, adding a color attribute should definitely not be one of those things

All i did was copy and paste the models, posed them a bit, removed all transform locks and only locked the fourth model's transforms to it's torso model, but there's still color when i re-load the SFM and the save file
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:57:28 PM by Masterlegodude »

despite how often the SFM crashes from the most minor things
;-;

The only other SFM Script I have is Doc's puppet one. Doc's color script is still broken even when I try building a Blockhead from scratch rather than copy/pasting an existing one.

Also this is what the materials for the head look like, before and after Doc's script kick in. Maybe Doc's script removing the "Blank", "Eyesmouth", and "White" materials is a problem? Then again, the Blockheads with the colors that actually save also have the "Proxy Material" too, but that one never changes to "Null" after loading for them.

Manually editing it with "Add Override Materials", "$Color2", and messing with the slider seems to work reliably(Although I've only tested it on the head and torso of one Blockhead so far), but I'd kinda prefer being able to use Doc's.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:57:36 PM by tber123 »

psh, you young'uns use scripts and commands for everything... back in MY day we had to lock items MANUALLY and had to use VMT EDITING for everything...

screw around with making sure color2 works on most models at least

Also this is what the materials for the head look like, before and after Doc's script kick in. Maybe Doc's script removing the "Blank", "Eyesmouth", and "White" materials is a problem? Then again, the Blockheads with the colors that actually save also have the "Proxy Material" too, but that one never changes to "Null" after loading for them.

You probably shouldn't use override materials AND Doc's script on the same model, that may cause issues, only do one or the other

Or rather, ONLY do override materials on the head and torso so you don't change the colors of the decals, and use Doc's script on everything else

Arm colored with Doc's script

Head colored with override materials

Nevermind the extra materials, i updated the model (not publicaly) so that the other eye textures are bodygrouped while the face decals are skins

Even when using only Doc's script on the same model(And still picking the "Color2" option) the result is still the same. Not sure why Doc's script seems to be working fine for everyone else. Override Materials is the only non-broken option I have for coloring the Blockheads, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:10:15 PM by tber123 »