Author Topic: Ideas to make bullets scary, and suppression important  (Read 2829 times)

-snip-

I have maps with very large open areas, this does work to an extent. Ill see if i maybe widen out the maps i have a little more.

As for the jump delay, i do have plans to put in one, not a super long one. But one long enough to prevent players from using MODter slopes as speed ramps.

make the projectile shake violently (through animation) like the karbinis alt fire

make the projectile shake violently (through animation) like the karbinis alt fire
The projectile shake through animation? im not sure what you mean.

projectiles can have animation. how else would the rocket launcher projectile spin?

projectiles can have animation. how else would the rocket launcher projectile spin?
But how would projectile animation make bullets more feared? is what im wondering

if you remember bushidos original rpg item that was single use, the rpg projectile looked pretty damn legit waving around like a drunken rocket. Bullets that move around a bit draw attention better and can look more intimidating than straight shots

if you remember bushidos original rpg item that was single use, the rpg projectile looked pretty damn legit waving around like a drunken rocket. Bullets that move around a bit draw attention better and can look more intimidating than straight shots

Ok, now that i understand, this isnt a bad idea. It wont shake as violently as the Karbini or the RPG from Bushido, but it will shake a bit. But do realize in my TDM, bullets are really loving hard to see.

yea no lol. I could put a jump delay though, now that i think of it.

Don't let them crouch while in the air?
And add sprinting while not being able to fire, so they can run from cover to cover.

And add sprinting while not being able to fire, so they can run from cover to cover.

Im not sure what id bind sprinting to. RMB is for aiming, Brick cancel is for fire selectors and deploying bipods.

loud noises are obnoxious and id probably mute the sound
i recommend removing crouch jumping
shaking the display is a good idea but if there's a way to have the player's aim actually move from bullets hitting near them that would work

What you might go for is to make damage seem like it's worse than it actually is. Not sure how it'd actually play out in practice, but consider this: A player has 50 points of health, and a 25 health regenerating shield. Doesn't actually have to be a real energy shield or behave any different than normal health, it just has the mechanics of one. So if depleted, you take health damage from subsequent attacks, by avoiding damage for a time, it recharges, but the other 50 health does not regenerate. Second, when the "shield" is first depleted, the player takes heavily reduced damage for a few seconds, to actually make escaping or taking cover viable. Lastly, during this time, make the damage flash appear as though you're still taking full damage, maybe even more than you really are, to encourage running away.

You'd have to tweak the numbers, add special cases for different types of damage, and it could probably be used to the advantage of anyone who knows the system, but the general idea is that whenever someone is taking fire, it feels like they've taken a lot of damage when they get hit. Their health is low enough that remaining under fire will kill them, but it's still possible to duck in to cover. If they remain out in the open and return fire, they'll be at a disadvantage because the other player shot first, and the other player still has their "shield" and couple seconds of safety to get through.

If you want to shut down crouch jumping (more than the default increased damage), you could utilize weapons that have higher accuracy when stationary, and tune them to suffer significant penalties when airborne. This would also encourage fighting from stationary cover rather than dodging.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:54:10 AM by -Jetz- »

-Snip-

If you want to shut down crouch jumping (more than the default increased damage), you could utilize weapons that have higher accuracy when stationary, and tune them to suffer significant penalties when airborne. This would also encourage fighting from stationary cover rather than dodging.

I already have accuracy bonuses for staying out. For example i have the snipers and DMRs to where you cant fire accuractly unless your completely still, that and when you aim down sights for them, you suffer a movement penalty.

As far as the damage "Shield" i could work out maybe a body armor feature that only certain classes like the Machine gunner or the standard assault classes get. kind of like in Battlefield 2. Thanks for the suggestion that really got my gears going lol.