what have i missed

Author Topic: what have i missed  (Read 2932 times)

Maps are gone
RTB is toast
did badspot ever give a reason for why maps got nuked? i can guess it would be about exercising the creativity of players through building stuff and not through making maps

and why did RTB die

did badspot ever give a reason for why maps got nuked? i can guess it would be about exercising the creativity of players through building stuff and not through making maps

and why did RTB die
shaders/shadows are incompatible with maps, ephialtes was sick of bl and quit

Quote from: Kompressor (topic locked)
[Maps] complicate Blockland’s code tremendously. That means we can’t add game features very quickly. They still have bugs in them (after years of work). They are slow, too - bricks are about 90% of their speed and can do a LOT more (explosions, events, in-game editing).
Topic link
Quote from: Badspot (topic locked)
maps have been gone for nearly 2 years.  At the time they were removed, over 80% of servers used some form of slate.  Got that?  80% of servers did not use maps at all.  Most of the remaining 20% just used bedroom because it was first on the list. 

The natural course of a game is for the userbase to grow to a peak and then decrease over time.  If you want to keep the active user count up, you have to attract new users.  And guess what?  New users aren't going to play a game that looks like it's from 2001.  They're not even going to try it.  They're going to look at the screenshots and leave.

2 years.  The maps were removed 2 years ago.  The userbase did not implode.  In fact, it didn't decrease at all.  Not even a blip.  It's pretty much held steady, fighting the natural life-cycle of a game. 

In my expert opinion, if maps had not been removed in favor of improved graphics, the game would already be dead. 
Post link

and why did RTB die
Quote from: Ephialtes (topic locked)
RTB's always been about furthering my own skills and knowledge and featured prominently on my resume when I applied for my first job (and it's probably why I got it). It got to the point a while ago that RTB no longer did that for me but I continued because I enjoyed the game/community and it provided a lot of useful services that were clearly needed - plus I saw an opportunity to have my work exposed to a much larger userbase via Steam.

However in my opinion the Steam launch was underwhelming, badly co-ordinated and still has a number of non-trivial problems that haven't been resolved a month and a half or so later. Honestly I expected game development to be taken a bit more seriously given the potential for a much wider audience but it's just not materialised and I got bored of putting more effort into the game than the guys who make it. I offered to develop community features and services for free as an official part of Blockland but there wasn't much interest or follow-up on that.

So with my free time running out due to a recent job promotion I'm having to pick what I want to spend it on more carefully and I really can't justify spending any more of it on modding Blockland. I'll continue to play and moderate because it's a great game but I'm done developing.
Post link

Filipe made a SuperKart gamemode(TRAILER), which is like the default SpeedKart gamemode (which was also his doing), except there's more vehicles, more tracks, laps, and an announcer (voiced by Swholli)

I'm still here, although I wasn't really involved in clans or drama back then, so I may have gone under your radar at the time.

I'm still here, although I wasn't really involved in clans or drama back then, so I may have gone under your radar at the time.
i only remember you from your avatar, but it's nice to recognize all the people from the past