Poll

What switch types do you prefer?

Linear
Tactile
Clicky
Other

Author Topic: Mechanical Keyboards Thread No. 2 <New Poll>  (Read 6091 times)

[img width=1000 ]http://i.imgur.com/7yMKSpz.jpg[/img]

My keyboard, the CM Storm XT Quickfire. Terrible name, but great keyboard. Cherry MX Red, I would have preferred brown but these are still quite nice. Love typing with them.
How much does that keyboard cost / does it have ghosting to prevent key interferrance when gaming? That thing looks amazing

just gonna requote incase someone didnt see it

It has 20-key rollover in USB and n-key rollover in ps2, and it costed me around $90 at a local retail store.

just gonna requote incase someone didnt see it
It has 20-key rollover in USB and n-key rollover in ps2, and it costed me around $90 at a local retail store.
damn, sounds like a pretty good deal

my favorite thing back when i got my new keyboard was that i could press more than 2 to 3 keys at once lol. my ancient compaq couldn't handle it

damn, sounds like a pretty good deal

my favorite thing back when i got my new keyboard was that i could press more than 2 to 3 keys at once lol. my ancient compaq couldn't handle it

My Model M can't handle more than 2 keys being pressed at once, kinda annoying during gaming.

My Model M can't handle more than 2 keys being pressed at once, kinda annoying during gaming.
bump
it's also because the model m is a buckling switch type (meaning it's a mechanical and membrane keyboard basically rolled into one). with that, the membrane switches can't necessarily handle n-key rollover so your stuck with 5 (?) key rollover (those being the alt/ctrl keys, etc)

ordered these 2 days ago and they're getting here today
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E8U8HKW
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABUJ0FY

i'll give you guys a mini review on the outemu blue switches and how nice these keyboards are when they arrive today

bump
it's also because the model m is a buckling switch type (meaning it's a mechanical and membrane keyboard basically rolled into one). with that, the membrane switches can't necessarily handle n-key rollover so your stuck with 5 (?) key rollover (those being the alt/ctrl keys, etc)
buckling switches aren't necesarrily mechanical + membrane rolled into one because there are capacitive buckling switches as well but you're right in this case
and i don't believe it's the membranes' fault with not supporting n-key rollover but rather the fault of the pcb and/or controller

buckling switches aren't necesarrily mechanical + membrane rolled into one because there are capacitive buckling switches as well but you're right in this case
and i don't believe it's the membranes' fault with not supporting n-key rollover but rather the fault of the pcb and/or controller
well wait what about topre switches tho
they're basically the same principle as the model m (albeit without a spring actuating it)

well wait what about topre switches tho
they're basically the same principle as the model m (albeit without a spring actuating it)
The switch consists of a slider in a housing over a rubber dome over a conical coiled spring over a printed circuit board. Switches are discrete components, but built as sheets.
When the conical spring is compressed, a capacitive sensing mechanism on the PCB senses the keypress mid-actuation. Circuitry on the PCB collects sensing data from smaller key groups and feeds it to the controller.
topre switches are spring over membrane kind of like the model m's buckling springs but they don't buckle and are capacitive

i had to look to deskthority because i didn't know jack stuff about topre switches
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:59:43 AM by Daswiruch »

ordered these 2 days ago and they're getting here today
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E8U8HKW
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABUJ0FY

i'll give you guys a mini review on the outemu blue switches and how nice these keyboards are when they arrive today
THIS KEYBOARD IS TINY HOLY richard I LOVE IT
outemu blue switches are pretty much mx blue switches but sound a little different
also the keypad is nice i like it

I'm looking for a keyboard to replace my Logitech G105. Can anybody reccomend anything? Here's a list of details:

• Thinking about MX Browns or Clears, but open to suggestions.
  • Must not be clicky. I wear open-back headphones and that stuff will probably get annoying
  • Cannot be over 80$
  • Should be good for competitive gaming (Again, if a different switch is better for this, tell me)
  • Blue lighting (or rgb)
  • Can use 1 or 2 custom keycaps
  • Decent build quality
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:28:46 AM by Dragonslayer182 »

what a bump
i just ordered some mint keycaps and a v60 blue gateron from massdrop
cant wait

I have one I got a year or two ago at Savers that I haven't been able to use yet because apparently oldschool mouse/keyboard connectors aren't what the kids are into these days. I'm hoping to be able to use it when I get my rig together. It fits perfectly with my '99 theme. The keyboard is made by Mouse Systems which is a kind of obscure company that was bought by a bigger company and hasn't really done much since. I got the keyboard because it looks comfy as forget and I had been hearing good things about mechanicals. I took off all the keycaps to clean it and haven't finished putting them back on since, so it got crud back in between the keys, oh well.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:09:32 AM by Willymcmilly »

Dude, totally clean that up and check for some key caps somewhere on the internet. That'd make a dope as forget keyboard