Author Topic: Well-respected member (and a friend) in the HAWKEN community drowns  (Read 1134 times)

This sucks. Young guy, full of life and full of love for others, drowned while swimming across a river during a camping trip. I wasn't super close with him but he was still my friend in the HAWKEN gaming community, and was well-loved by everyone. Sucks his time was so short. RIP bkcat. :(

OP on the HAWKEN forum.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but how do you drown in horizontally-moving water? Isn't it the same as swimming in regular water?

I don't mean to be insensitive, but how do you drown in horizontally-moving water? Isn't it the same as swimming in regular water?

I think in rivers that there are certain areas where the water starts pulling downwards because of the river-floor and the current, but that may not be related.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:46:03 AM by Willymcmilly »

As someone who has gone on several week long camping trips downriver, I can assure you that some rivers can get pretty nasty at some points. But any number of accidents could also have happened, anything from getting stuck on the riverbed between rocks or inhaling too much water.

I think in rivers that there are certain areas where the water starts pulling downwards because of the river-floor and the current, but that may not be related.
That's an eddy but they're usually pretty small.

p sure they're called sinkholes

undertow

this is always hard to see

undertow

undertow has to do with the conveyer belt roller-like movement of waves

usually waves aren't the predominant force in streams

undertow has to do with the conveyer belt roller-like movement of waves

usually waves aren't the predominant force in streams
i must have the wrong term, but iirc there's some force in a fast current that can pull you downwards

i must have the wrong term, but iirc there's some force in a fast current that can pull you downwards

there are very uneven currents within streams

often times what causes people to get sucked in isn't a downward force but two or more different currents that, while going in the same direction, are going at very different speeds

upper current looks safe, so mr X goes in for a dip

turns out lower current's super strong, and it knocks him off his feet

the two currents struggle against eachother and are very uneven as a result, so mr X has difficulty adjusting or escaping

All talk about the way rivers work aside, I'm sorry your friend lost his life

dammit why do good people die painful deaths but horrible Self Delete bombers get an instant freedom
not fair/10

I never really played HAWKEN but this sounds really unfortunate and unexpected. Condolences to the deceased's family. They must be going through a lot rn.