Author Topic: Zealot & Maxx Derail a Steam Thread (Read pages 4-8! Juicy!)  (Read 11417 times)

i submitted a ticket because i had a program for debugging open a while ago and it somehow picked it up
like just today i submitted it today so i expect several days worth of delay in response

My point being is that a lot of steam support people get really roostery when it comes to VAC bans and their usual canned response is "You're a cheater so we're not going to work with you on this"
Even an starfish is better than a robot. One dude on Reddit got VAC banned for cheating in singleplayer and he sent a message to Support, who proceeded to send him multiple "We have a zero-tolerance policy on cheating." messages without reading his post.

i submitted a ticket because i had a program for debugging open a while ago and it somehow picked it up
like just today i submitted it today so i expect several days worth of delay in response
I mean the system doesn't seem that bad, since it only bans you from that dev's game and seems to work. But the yellow bade of shame stuck to your profile is awful.

-snip-

isn't a VAC ban permanent? I know they'll remove the ban if you were just running hardware that wasn't supported yet or something but if you had actual, legit cheating software running in the background, i doubt that they'll remove it. i also doubt you have any evidence to back up your claim of not actually using it in the game (it was 4 years ago) so maybe just put a disclaimer on your profile as to why you have a VAC ban on record?

legit cheating software running in the background
I don't think Cheat Engine is "legit, cheating software". As far as I know it identifies and changes variables in your game files, so that you could say, give yourself infinite gold in Skyrim. It's not like it would hack into a multiplayer server.

accounts can be unbanned.

there is a list of unbanned accounts available for you to view, it's not impossible
everyone knows accounts are unbanned for false positives, dont know about any other cases though

As far as I know it identifies and changes variables in your game files, so that you could say, give yourself infinite gold in Skyrim.

not trying to be a cunt but what you just described is literally what cheating is

cheating:
act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

also unbans usually only happen if it's just a mistake by the system (say, if you're running new hardware steam doesn't recognize), you can get unbanned by other means but usually you need some sort of evidence

not trying to be a cunt but what you just described is literally what cheating is

cheating:
act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

also unbans usually only happen if it's just a mistake by the system (say, if you're running new hardware steam doesn't recognize), you can get unbanned by other means but usually you need some sort of evidence
Cheating in a singleplayer game isn't against Steams ToS, though. Which is all CE can do. If it was, dev consoles would be banned.

Also, I'm wondering if I was banned validly now. I know you can't have a manipulation program tied to the VAC-enabled game, but it wasn't connected to Chivalry at all.

Cheating in a singleplayer game isn't against Steams ToS, though. Which is all CE can do.

Also, I'm wondering if I was banned validly now. I know you can't have a manipulation program tied to the VAC-enabled game, but it wasn't connected to Chivalry at all.

cheat engine can actually change like, credits and such in multiplayer games where that data is stored locally. a good example are the borderlands games, where everything in the player inventory is just saved to a locally stored file that cheat engine can actual change. not saying that this applies to your case, but there are a ton of multiplayer games that can be changed pretty massively using CE and im guessing valve doesn't have time to check which games can actually be manipulated so they just auto ban on every game

cheat engine can actually change like, credits and such in multiplayer games where that data is stored locally. a good example are the borderlands games, where everything in the player inventory is just saved to a locally stored file that cheat engine can actual change. not saying that this applies to your case, but there are a ton of multiplayer games that can be changed pretty massively using CE and im guessing valve doesn't have time to check which games can actually be manipulated so they just auto ban on every game
Wait wait--I thought Borderlands was a singleplayer game? I've only played BL2.

Also, Chivalry isn't an mmo, so it's not like there are any credits or anything for me to change. I guess I could move my health, but I'm pretty sure that is stored on the server since there are a lot of cool game-changing mod servers.

It does have co-op with matchmaking

stufflord stuffs up another thread

VAC bans for cheat engine are stupid. If a game is properly designed, it should be impossible to use cheat engine to do anything malicious.

coop =/= multiplayer by gaming definition

Also, if vital plaintext variables that affect a multiplayer game are stored locally--couldn't you just hack with Notepad then? I don't think they sweep the PC for that.

coop =/= multiplayer by gaming definition
Chivalry isn't co-op, it's multiplayer (with co-op).