Author Topic: ideas on how to gain more players  (Read 13505 times)

We need Builders Club for 24.99 a month. If you don't have it, you can't download music/sounds/textures and you are only allowed 5 bricks in your tray at a time. You are also only allowed 15 addons without BC. Turbo Builders Club for 34.99 a month would allow access to passworded servers and unlimited admin password guesses. Ultra Turbo Builders Club for 44.99 a month would give automatic admin on all servers and the ability to use every mod you download, even private ones. This would completely revitalize the community.

We need Builders Club for 24.99 a month. If you don't have it, you can't download music/sounds/textures and you are only allowed 5 bricks in your tray at a time. You are also only allowed 15 addons without BC. Turbo Builders Club for 34.99 a month would allow access to passworded servers and unlimited admin password guesses. Ultra Turbo Builders Club for 44.99 a month would give automatic admin on all servers and the ability to use every mod you download, even private ones. This would completely revitalize the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMPvJAVxfAw

or instead of trying to go further in the game.....perhaps this game should traceback to its roots a little? Ever since maps were removed the game has been very stuffty. i mean there has been great servers that are like medieval rpgs with gigantic custom maps, but that's about it. it's all just generic city rpgs, prison escapes now. Back then it was really fun to develop massive servers in a house or something. I know the reason they gave up the maps was for shaders, but it's 2016, not everyone has a potato for a computer. the maps should be compatible with shaders by now, stuff even then it should've. I felt taking out maps for shaders was a sense of laziness and a gimmick for da grafiks. either or, game is dead. Unless a miracle happens. 

taking out maps for shaders probably isnt laziness, but it definitely upped how much effort people have to put in to have fun now

And then brag about how creativity is our main focus, and brag about how our game is free. How could this possibly go wrong!

That's a nice joke tbh.

What could help is VR support.
The list of VR games on Steam is relatively small, so it would increase the visibility of Blockland tenfold.
Maybe even so much it grabs the attention of some Youtubers as tons of them upload VR videos.

But we somehow have to circumvent the engines limitation to allow sideways rotation movement...

Only ideas I got is more RPGs, TDM servers, and maybe mystery servers (like Mafia Madness). Maybe some Siege servers that aren't "oh if we charge long enough maybe we'll get the flag" and more stealth-themed sieges.

What could help is VR support.
The list of VR games on Steam is relatively small, so it would increase the visibility of Blockland tenfold.
Maybe even so much it grabs the attention of some Youtubers as tons of them upload VR videos.

But we somehow have to circumvent the engines limitation to allow sideways rotation movement...
The newer version of Torque3D uses VR support.

Sweet if we get VR I can finally achieve my dream of seeing block richards and hunky meme faces in virtual reality!

Sweet if we get VR I can finally achieve my dream of seeing block richards and hunky meme faces in virtual reality!
"Dreams do come true!"

The creativeness of the community is completely hindered by the engine Blockland is running on. The Torque engine Blockland uses is basically on its last legs at this point. It's outdated and clunky, thus making creating content a complete nightmare. The only way I can see Blockland gaining more players is for a direct upgrade. And by that, I mean a new engine. Which would NEVER happen.

The creativeness of the community is completely hindered by the engine Blockland is running on. The Torque engine Blockland uses is basically on its last legs at this point. It's outdated and clunky, thus making creating content a complete nightmare. The only way I can see Blockland gaining more players is for a direct upgrade. And by that, I mean a new engine. Which would NEVER happen.
do you even make mods

blockland is like the best game to mod for hands down cause the engine and the way the code's set up is basically built for modding.

maybe in terms of building, but if you want more creative control you might as well just go and write your own game, cause i can't think of anything you can do in another game that is impossible in blockland besides better vehicle physics

it is however admittedly old and clunky and could have better optimization but its been stated multiple times the engine isn't really "torque" anymore since its been heavily modded to do what blockland needs it to do. switching to torque3d or anything wont really fix it - you'd probably have to basically rewrite the engine even given one that's similar to what you'd need.

Most of the things that are 'impossible' aren't actually impossible, they'd just require Badspot to fix them. The impossible part is convincing Badspot to fix the problems.

i can't think of anything you can do in another game that is impossible in blockland besides better vehicle physics

Someone improved vehicle physics a while back using a modified DLL. It had a tenancy to crash people though. And he also never finished it so it died.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:29:32 PM by Rally »

Blockland is the most easiest game that I have ever had the pleasure of modding and experimenting with.
If Blockland never existed I don't think I would have even bothered to try out programming yet alone modeling, GMod has been an alternative but I never really "got into it" as much as I have with Blockland.

Someone improved vehicle physics a while back using a modified DLL. It had a tenancy to crash people though.

I believe that was Chrisbot6's, I don't think it was ever finished/released.
There was also an addon by someone which reduced the chances of vehicles just driving through a brick as if it didn't exist.