4 (40%)
Yes, and I would be willing to finish it
1 (10%)
No
1 (10%)
No, but I like the concept anyway
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: SpeedRings Single-player Gamemode Concept  (Read 823 times)

A while ago I began working on a single-player gamemode which would be very similar to those Mario Kart DS challenges where you had to race through rings in order within a certain amount of time. SpeedKart can be fun and challenging when you play with others, but I doubt you would play SpeedKart alone unless you are really bored without an Internet connection or you're trying to get a Steam achievement. Single-player challenges such as the ones in Mario Kart DS might be fun on SpeedKart tracks, so I put together some rings/arches and used Zone Events to make a workable "SpeedRings." (I thought of using the concept in Blockland, yet my friend Blue Ocean made the connotation to the Mario Kart DS challenges, hence the above explanation and WIP title.)

Today I was able to make a psuedo-gamemode in a Custom server on the Sierra Island track, yet BL crashed on me and I didn't autosave at all. I guess I wouldn't have time to record the track anyway within the 30 second limit on free Fraps (lol). Here's a simple preview:

This topic inspired me to continue and share my progress on the forums so that I might be able to receive feedback and help if I choose to finish the gamemode. My main question then is, would this be a worthwhile and enjoyable gamemode? I realized that the gamemode could also be used as a "SpeedKart practice" sort of thing if the rings are placed and shaped in such a way that guides players on the fastest path for each track. Would it be more worthwhile then? Should the gamemode be multiplayer so that the challenge is more competitive? I'm considering whether I should just ask someone else to finish the gamemode, too.

This could be a neat challenge mode for Superkart.

This could be a neat challenge mode for Superkart.
it'd probably work on SuperKart better than on SpeedKart since the tracks are wider and in laps

i think that it would not be played very often unless it was also adaptable to be multiplayer

because everyone wants friends

i think that it would not be played very often unless it was also adaptable to be multiplayer

because everyone wants friends

I don't think it could be played easily in a multiplayer server unless each player goes one at a time, though. maybe the challenge becomes more intense when you have to dodge opponents who try to run into you lol