No Man's Sky Official Megathread

Author Topic: No Man's Sky Official Megathread  (Read 102827 times)

spore space stage > no man's sky

Y'know... I feel like games like NMS are cursed to be under the expectation of players. Take for example Freelancer, the practical father of NMS...

Freelancer is a space trading and combat simulation video game developed by Digital Anvil and published by Microsoft Game Studios. It is a chronological sequel to Digital Anvil's Starlancer, a combat flight simulator released in 2000. The game was initially announced by Chris Roberts in 1999, and following many production schedule mishaps and a buyout of Digital Anvil by Microsoft, it was eventually released in March 2003.

In the game, players take on the roles of spacecraft pilots. These characters fly single-seater ships, exploring the planets and space stations of 48 known star systems. They also engage in dogfights with other pilots (player- and computer-controlled) to protect traders or engage in piracy themselves. Other player activities include bounty-hunting and commodity trading. The single-player mode puts the player in the role of Edison Trent, who goes through a series of missions to save the Sirius sector from a mysterious alien force. In multiplayer mode, players are free to take on any role and to explore anywhere from the start.

Originally, Roberts promised features such as automated flight maneuvers, dynamic economies, and a multiplayer mode that could host thousands of players, but diminished versions of these features were implemented in the final release. The game's initial technical demos impressed reviewers, but after the Microsoft buyout and Roberts' departure from Digital Anvil, critics had doubts about the game. Reviewers judged the final product technically good but failing to fulfill their initial expectations.

Freelancer was an extremely ambitious game similar to NMS and came out in 2000. It was made out to have all of these ground-breaking features, but in the end it fell short of fulfilling those.

It just seems like you'll never get what you expect out of this genre.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:21:23 PM by Kochieboy »

Fallout 4 came out unfinished then announced a season pass, Day 1.
Fallout 4 actually had a designed world with interesting locations and encounters built into it, as opposed to relying on an algorithm which seems to be wildly varying between bland and interesting, but tending towards the former.

It just seems like you'll never get what you expect out of this genre.
Then maybe developers should stop investing so much time and money in this genre.

Fallout 4 actually had a designed world with interesting locations and encounters built into it, as opposed to relying on an algorithm which seems to be wildly varying between bland and interesting, but tending towards the former.

Do you know for an absolute fact that there is or isn't a planet in No Man's Sky that was hand crafted by the developer and is an actual city?

You loving don't so don't assume.

For a generated system this stuff is impressive.

I haven't seen stuff this impressive before.

Itt: tony being stupid once again

Itt: tony being stupid once again

How so?

The game can get updated, there hasn't even been the first patch yet.

Hey bro they can make one little update and BOOM instant hand crafted planet for all to join in.
Hey bro, if you read the article you'll understand why they're not going to do that.

No Man's Sky was created for the science of it, and while Murray did want to showcase his experiences of growing up in the Australian Outback, those design motivations took a back seat to the technicality and system design. As a technological marvel it's pretty cool, but as a game it's just bland trash with some pretty christmas lights.

Maybe some people will get a kick out of flying and mining (with some combat and dialogue thrown into the mix every once in a while) on a bunch of randomised planets, but just looking at all the current available footage, it seems like most of the players are encountering worlds that are so devoid of content, and I just think this one of those "you must make your own fun" simulations that I heavily dislike on the principle.

And developers say lots of stuff they won't do and then they do it.

And developers say lots of stuff they won't do and then they do it.
I don't believe you. Prove it.

i don't know what's more cringeworthy, the fact that he's horrible at trolling, or the fact that you keep responding to him at this point

Uncharted 4 said they won't add ranks.

They added ranks.

Bethesda didn't add hardcore more.

They loving added it.