No Man's Sky Official Megathread

Author Topic: No Man's Sky Official Megathread  (Read 102843 times)

forget THIS, RIGHT HERE.

I loving hate people like you who say

Maybe if you saw PewDiePie playing NMS you would find it funny and buy it day 1.

Because you people can't form your own opinions so you listen to some youtube personality.

Hey man if you don't like the game then don't respond in this thread.

I just wanted to have real discussions about it with people who actually want to play it.

who the forget made you the one to tell people what to do if their opinion differs from yours?

this is a game discussion thread, that means pointing out its flaws and setbacks, and also people who wanted the game before its release and their opinions post-release.

This argument is literally a role-reversal of the fallout 4 thread now that I think about it

Hey Tony, now you know what people felt like when you were posting in that thread! I bet you sure are mad and angry that somebody can be this flippant and dismissive of such a great game, right?? How could they possibly be so stubborn. Sure wish they would just stop posting huh?????

Because you people can't form your own opinions so you listen to some youtube personality.
I didn't say that I watched LPs with commentary. I just said I watched gameplay videos (commonly referred to as "Let's Plays").

I am known for having very strong opinions about games and game design which go against the grain, and I've shared some of them in this thread. Yet in a previous post, you said:

I don't think so, it's a great game and I'll defend it from un-opinionated people.

So what the forget do you want from me? Do you want me to have an opinion or do you want me to be unopinionated? Your troll story can't even loving keep it consistent any more.

Well then wait till it's on sale. There end of discussion.

So how does this game stack up to Star Citizen? It may not be a fair comparison considering Star Citizen isn't out to disappoint everyone yet but I'm curious what other people think.

okay so im kind of sick of all the arguing and bickering between the people who dislike no man's sky and people who do like no man's sky, plus all the circlejerks of "no multiplayer" or "sean lied". im gonna try and write something unbiased (as much as i can), but keep in mind i haven't played the game so i don't know every single specific detail.

people disliking the game isn't unwarranted. the game was always going to be very divisive, and this was even said so in a blog post by sean murray. the game is nowhere near perfect, like most other games on launch there's still issues. there's a ton of interruptions to gameplay, such as energy running out and the achievements that pop up. the gameplay at the start can be slow and monotonous for some due to lack of inventory space, but i've been told that it steadily improves as you progress.

as far as content goes, at the core of the game is exploration. the developers never promised more than that. there are survival aspects, some of which can be annoying and some can be badly designed (such as the constant warnings of life support levels and all that), but most of the time they're good. the exploration is well done, especially for a team of 15 or so people trying to make a gigantic universe. trading is well done if you really look at it, and the game never promised to be a hardcore dogfighting game, so for the arcade-style combat it's got, it's good.

what people have done is, due to the hype and lack of information released previously, built up an image in their head of what no man's sky would be, making it to be a fantastic survival/space fighting/other game, when it is an exploration game. exploring is what you do. anyone expecting more probably shouldn't buy the game because they won't find it fun.

and then after those two people tried to meet up but couldn't see each other, the circlejerk of "sean lied" or "there is no multiplayer" began. just because two people couldn't see each other, doesn't mean that they pulled multiplayer all together. the matter of the sticker on limited edition copies of the game just shows that they printed those before the regular game, which has more suitable labels. the game has multiplayer, but it makes more sense to label it as a singleplayer game because of how large the universe is. they had no reason to expect people would find each other within a few days of the game being launched.

the fact that the two players couldnt meet up is probably because of the stress the server was under. yes, those tweets from sean were vague, but the most likely interpretation of them was that there were server issues due to more people playing than anticipated, and so what most likely the server (or server team) were prioritising allowing discoveries to be uploaded instead of allowing people to meet, because no man's sky is a singleplayer experience. not multiplayer. also, don't forget that in the pre-launch update they added something to make it more likely that players would find each other. that wouldn't be included if a game had scrapped multiplayer.

i, personally, am excited for the game, but not so excited that i can't see it's flaws. every game has flaws, and most games on launch have issues. but to be honest, for a game made by a small indie studio who never anticipated that their game would get such an audience, it's done well. plus any reading into the dev team shows that they're trying their best to make it a good experience for everyone. but the game isn't for everyone, and that's fine.

just please stop all the bickering and stuff. simply saying people's opinions are wrong or invalid because of their experience with the game (or lack of experience) is so loving idiotic, and it's happening on both sides. quit comparing the game to spore, because the core concept of the two games are different.

if you look at the game for face value and it doesn't appeal to you, then that's fine. just don't try and stuff on people enjoying the game.

if you look at the game for face value and it does appeal to you, then that's fine. just enjoy the game instead of adding fuel to the fire.

Music is pretty good though. Gonna buy the soundtrack and maybe get some screenshots for my desktop since the art is really nice.

agreed, the music is sweet. if you like i can post a bunch of pretty screenshots after i've played the game when it comes out.

So how does this game stack up to Star Citizen? It may not be a fair comparison considering Star Citizen isn't out to disappoint everyone yet but I'm curious what other people think.

fundamentally, i think, the two games are so different it's not fair to compare the two. star citizen seems (i haven't played it) like a very hardcore game, and no man's sky is a pretty chill and casual game. the gameplay of the two are very different.

fundamentally, i think, the two games are so different it's not fair to compare the two. star citizen seems (i haven't played it) like a very hardcore game, and no man's sky is a pretty chill and casual game. the gameplay of the two are very different.
Actually I'd say they're fundamentally similar if not the same. The difference is really in the depth that either goes to make an exploration game. A fair comparison wouldn't exactly be saying which is better rather than detailing what either game does different imo.

but I agree  for the most part.

Actually I'd say they're fundamentally similar if not the same. The difference is really in the depth that either goes to make an exploration game. A fair comparison wouldn't exactly be saying which is better rather than detailing what either game does different imo.

but I agree  for the most part.

you know what, yeah. what i said was dumb. the games are very similar, but the player base for them would be very different, imo. one's for hardcore, one for casual.

EA hyped spore to be a realistic simulator when the actual developer only tried to gear it as a casual game.
hey ok i loved spore, and i always knew it was going to be a casual game. no man's sky is a casual game because let's be honest nobody has been able to create a deep and captivating procedurally generated universe. Starbound didn't, Elite: Dangerous didn't, and No Man's Sky didn't either.

It's a great game for casually exploring, but not a great game for pretty much anything else.

Star Citizen is pretty different. All of the planets will be procedurally generated, but any installations or locations you'll visit planetside will be hand-crafted. Plus, there is already a bit of more gameplay in the current alpha version of Star Citizen than there is in NMS (save for exploration, but the foundation is there) and they've been working on plenty more. However they are entirely different games-- No Man's Sky is designed for galactic exploration, but Star Citizen has a collection of human-inhabited star systems that most people will stay in. You'll be able to go out and chart out space, but that won't be what everyone is doing.

Also, Star Citizen is an MMO, and No Man's Sky is singleplayer.

you know what, yeah. what i said was dumb. the games are very similar, but the player base for them would be very different, imo. one's for hardcore, one for casual.
Right. I just think it's what people consider a comparison. I don't think the goals of the game are apples to oranges, but I think the way they go about doing it isn't really an eye-to-eye discussion.
Star Citizen is pretty different. All of the planets will be procedurally generated, but any installations or locations you'll visit planetside will be hand-crafted. Plus, there is already a bit of more gameplay in the current alpha version of Star Citizen than there is in NMS (save for exploration, but the foundation is there) and they've been working on plenty more. However they are entirely different games-- No Man's Sky is designed for galactic exploration, but Star Citizen has a collection of human-inhabited star systems that most people will stay in. You'll be able to go out and chart out space, but that won't be what everyone is doing.

Also, Star Citizen is an MMO, and No Man's Sky is singleplayer.
Sounds about right.

I don't like it when people call E:D depthless. That is ridiculous--I've spent hours ingame building ultra-powerful ships for various purposes, and the combat is extremely well done with extreme feats of weapon and power maintenance taking place mid-battle.

Elite: Dangerous is not at it's heart, an exploration game. The universe is a backdrop for the real game, which is about the space combat and trading possibilities for young pilots as the dozen factions erupt into war.

E:D is a game that takes lengths to feel real. The planets are boring because barren rocks are the best they can do to feel gritty and real without having it get ridiculous, which is okay in a less serious game like NMS.

noedit cause mobile: That's not to say exploration isn't possible in the game, I'm just saying that it's another career opportunity resulting in monetary and reputory gain. It's Stellar Cartography, not the exploration of crazy alien worlds.

I don't like it when people call E:D depthless. That is ridiculous--I've spent hours ingame building ultra-powerful ships for various purposes, and the combat is extremely well done with extreme feats of weapon and power maintenance taking place mid-battle.

Elite: Dangerous is not at it's heart, an exploration game. The universe is a backdrop for the real game, which is about the space combat and trading possibilities for young pilots as the dozen factions erupt into war.
don't get me wrong, i love Elite for what it is currently, but i was spoiled by EVE Online for most of my high school and middle school experience :p it was amazing in the player interaction department, allowing players to band together, create a corporation, stake their claim, and fight over trade routes and minerals. Elite feels a lot more of a social game, and powerplay kind of dabbles into rewarding PVP gameplay, but it's not that ultimately satisfying to really do anything-- except for the fact you get some pretty badass new ships but other than that, what is there to gain?

E:D is a game that takes lengths to feel real. The planets are boring because barren rocks are the best they can do to feel gritty and real without having it get ridiculous, which is okay in a less serious game like NMS.
noedit cause mobile: That's not to say exploration isn't possible in the game, I'm just saying that it's another career opportunity resulting in monetary and reputory gain. It's Stellar Cartography, not the exploration of crazy alien worlds.

i like how barren the planets are in Elite, though. there are little spots and points of interest that you can find but they're quite rare (which is good), while in NMS you find these outposts and dungeons literally buttforget everywhere. Elite doesn't mind waiting to surprise you, while you've already seen all of the cookie cutter bases and stuff in NMS within the first few hours. however in Elite, the exploration aspect does need a lot of work. it's extremely underwhelming and while you get to see some pretty cool sights, the pay is stuff. Braben said himself that he wants every activity to pay sort of equally so the player can choose how to make their fortune, but months of exploration pays VASTLY worse than months of bounty hunting or piracy to the point where it doesn't even make sense to go and do it.

i will commend the game for it's community event things though. i've been keeping up on those mass expeditions people are doing and stuff across the galaxy, or the hunt for those things in the Pleiades, but i've yet to experience anything like that for myself

i like Elite more than NMS-- i just wish we had more stuff to do besides fighting each other for no real goal but to fill our wallets so we can get better ships to kill each other with, or trading cargo so we can get bigger cargo holds. if we had something in place that allowed us to have more of a more permanent reward like constructing our own station or planetside base, then perhaps my opinion would change.. but right now it kinda feels like a stepping stone to something greater for me :\

The penultimate (not ultimate) Horizons update will be Co-op piloting, so you're in luck if you want more social interaction. I've always found Wings to be pretty fun, if a little impersonal. Most of my friends fly Anacondas while I've never really been involved making money so I've mostly been flying a Vulture even at 400 hours. It'll be a lot of fun to climb into their ships and help pilot a beast of ship.

Shaun Murray dodging questions:
https://gfycat.com/YawningVigorousGangesdolphin