[Math Lesson] Free School Meals in the UK.

Author Topic: [Math Lesson] Free School Meals in the UK.  (Read 3124 times)

Edit: Look guys I'm sorry for not making it clearer. I was pointing at the ones who exploit the system for free meals who don't actually need it and could easily live off their own money.

Of course I don't think people who genuinely need free meals or food stamps should be refused and left to starve.

They are the ones that need them most, I just hate it when people claim this stuff who could just pay out of their own money.

I hope this makes things clearer.

I know this is old but I still think the issue needs to be addressed.

So you're telling me people need Free School Meals because they can't afford a lunch for their child?

Let's do some quick math!

Capri Sun:

£1.99 for a box of 5 from Tesco http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=287041143

White Bread:

£0.85 for 800g from Tesco http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=256174499

Thin Ham Slices:

£1.60 from Tesco http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=292420459

Butter Spread:

£1.50 for 250g from Tesco http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=254263374&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5Ie8BRCJ9fHlr_bH24cBEiQAkoDQcbyiHjpDBjPMWQ4TfFXDQxHqAR0zKzjnTQaB1g_UfSYaAsUU8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Children's Crisps:

£1.00 for a pack of 7 from Tesco http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=291986672&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwYK8BRC0ta6LhOPC0v0BEiQApv6jYZeX1AnDQzvCsazcmzo4CVgZp4u7vzt4L1YhtohK-NYaAiaF8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

These will last for at least a week.

Now let's add this up.

£1.99 + £0.85 + £1.60 + £1.50 + £1.00 = £6.64

Now tell me you can't afford £6.64?

And they can even all be bought at the same shop.

Edit: Formatting
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:50:20 AM by National Rail »

A lot of families, especially immigrants, may not make more than a few hundred dollars a month. They also tend to have far too many kids. And gram crackers with bread isn't going to give a child the proper nutrition they need to eat. I don't know how you can come out against something so fundamental as free meals for poor children. It's not like it's costly the US comparatively anything, especially compared to things like the military.

I mean, I think the targeted purpose is to fight food insecurity. Basically everyone in the United States has technically enough income to feed themselves consistently, but when you're really poor, a car repair or some other unforeseen accident can make it so your bank account is dry until your next paycheck. The idea of making programs like these is so that kids don't have to occasionally go to school without anything to eat for the day.

free school lunches help families that live paycheck to paycheck

instead of buying all this crap (white bread lmaoo) why don't you buy some fruit and meat from the butcher? it will go a lot farther than that crap

"issue"? how is it an issue? are you gonna complain about how the government is taking "£6.64" from the entire nation in taxes? grow the forget up already

"people can't afford stuff? why don't they just buy it?"

I know this is old but I still think the issue needs to be addressed.

So you're telling me people need Free School Meals because they can't afford a lunch for their child?

Now tell me you can't afford £6.64?
and here we can see a ravenous UKIP supporter in the wild

oh my loving god, this has to be a gigantic troll because there is so much wrong with this.

Firstly, families who have free school meals for their children obviously still pay tax, as well as need to pay for themselves. For some money is a necessity beyond their grasp. A chunk of their income will pay for themselves as I said, and so it's needed for students to be able to have meals for free without their parents spending anything. You seem to be a model of a UKIP supporting Daily Mail reader whose family probably opted for free school meals because of their working class selves.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:03:14 AM by ChappersTeddy »

As a person who used to live off food stamps (I'm still in poverty, but I my parents make enough money to where we don't get food stamps anymore) I can tell you extremely reliably it isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

Take for example my last high-school year. I got free lunches. I didn't complain about that because almost all the money my dad and mom were making, combined, was going to our hotel room, our taxes, our cleaning products, using the washing machine stations our hotel has, etc. I mean almost none of their paychecks were going to food (we weren't going hungry), but I'll tell you right now eating crackers every day like you're basically suggesting we do, which I have done, is a stuffty thing (both for your body and for your tastebuds), so no, this isn't an "issue", and if you think it's a bigger issue than the other money problems this nation has, I don't think I have many words to describe my confusion.

I am very thankful I got free lunches at school because the stuff I was able to buy last year didn't really cut it all that well and if you think this needs to be taken away from us, well, I disagree.

i don't think feeding a kid potato chips, a ham sandwich, and a capri-sun every day for weeks until they're out of school is healthy in any way

bonus screenshot:

are you 12 op?

I wonder if the little stuff pays for his own meals. Do you have a job? Do you take out loans or live on the dole? Do you have any loving clue what it's like spending money on a regular basis?

nah we should just let em starve that'll make them think twice about being poor

I wonder if the little stuff pays for his own meals. Do you have a job? Do you take out loans or live on the dole? Do you have any loving clue what it's like spending money on a regular basis?
No, he spends most of his money on stuffty newspapers and beauty magazines because he's a beta male virgin who has to jack off to pictures of women on paper.

what
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:18:38 AM by ChappersTeddy »