[Math Lesson] Free School Meals in the UK.

Author Topic: [Math Lesson] Free School Meals in the UK.  (Read 3127 times)

A job in the UK doesn't pay £6.64 per hour, it's £6.64 (£6.70 to be more exact) per day.
what the forget
that is incredibly low

A job in the UK doesn't pay £6.64 per hour, it's £6.64 (£6.70 to be more exact) per day.
Aside from the fact you didn't see my sarcasm...

Are you a complete twat?

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Your own Government confirms it's an hourly rate.

what the forget
that is incredibly low

those figures are wrong, in fact the minimum wage is now 6.70 per hour.

those figures are wrong, in fact the minimum wage is now 6.70 per hour.

I'm not sure whether to cackle maniacally or hold a memorial service for your last brain cell that just jumped ship.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:06:26 AM by SWAT One »

I'm not sure whether to cackle maniacally or hold a memorial service for your last brain cell that just jumped ship.
To be fair, the rates haven't changed as yet:

Guess this topic should have been made in October.

Either way, it's just a diversion.  I highly doubt OP has actually done any budgeting work.  Budgeting is the real topic of this discussion.

Aside from the fact you didn't see my sarcasm...
when did i bring up your sarcasm

My school is american, but we do free lunches with little to no consequence.

A McJob in the UK pays an average of £6.64 per hour so I don't see how anybody could not afford lunch.
Not everyone who has children has a job. Many are unable to work due to disability or lack of available employment.
Further, many who do have children and a job, are single parents and as such can only work part-time in order to care for their kids. This drastically decreases your income.

Then you have to consider that people pay council tax, potentially national insurance, electric bills, gas bills, rent/mortgage (yes, even people in social housing pay rent).
Then there's the regular cost of feeding their family for the rest of the day, as well as clothing.

Many also require a car and therefore have to pay both road tax, car insurance, petrol costs, annual MOT costs, plus repairs.

Consider too that there are already significant amounts of people who have to live off of food banks, and can't afford much food, if any at all.

If you have a child in school, particularly if you have multiple children in school, then it can be difficult to afford to give them lunch every day. Free school meals take that burden off the parents and ensure that a child gets a proper meal. The cost on the taxpayers is less than a penny.

op needs to shut the forget up because he doesn't realize how diverse some people's environments can be

Let's say I'm Jill Poorbrit. I work 40 hours a week at minimum wage (£7.20) to feed my two children and pay my bills. I should be getting about £1152 with every paycheck, right? That should be more than enough to feed my family for five weeks!

However, then I have to pay £300 monthly on rent, £250 on electricity and running water, and £100 on heat so I don't freeze.

After that is out of the way, then comes about £20 of inedible household products (hygiene, entertainment for children, etc.)

This leaves £482 for meals. Assuming that a meal costs £6.94 as Maxwell calculated, and I am a single mother, so my children would optimally eat £166.56 worth of food weekly. This adds up to the total food cost being £666.24 between paychecks.

Having free lunch at schools would remove £69.40 from the weekly food expense, adding up to £277.60 between paychecks.

With free lunch at schools, I would have £93.36 remaining to spend on food for myself. Without it, I would be going into debt by nearly £150 and would need to cut back on my children's meals at home.

By the way, the meal cost in the OP is wrong on more than one level. Not only is your addition off, you aren't calculating price by individual serving. You're calculating it by the price for purchasing an item, artificially inflating your meal cost. I'd doubt an average school lunch to go above £5 before a la cart items.

EDIT: I'd completely forgotten about taxes, but it's too late to factor those in at this point.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:16:11 AM by WaterOre »

This is a Lord Tony level post. I've never seen this dude before--it's gotta be a troll.

Reading OP has seriously pissed me off. Though I'm happy some users have given good example of how money actually works because it will save me from losing my stuff and going on a massive rant. OP clearly has no idea how every penny counts for many families and how much free lunches can really help those who are struggling. Zack on the first page posted a very real example of what it is like to live in poverty and I strongly suggest you read it before deciding whether or not you should make a topic like this in the future.

Reading OP has seriously pissed me off. Though I'm happy some users have given good example of how money actually works because it will save me from losing my stuff and going on a massive rant. OP clearly has no idea how every penny counts for many families and how much free lunches can really help those who are struggling. Zack on the first page posted a very real example of what it is like to live in poverty and I strongly suggest you read it before deciding whether or not you should make a topic like this in the future.

In families such as Zack's circumstances I do agree with it and would never want to see food stamps/free meals be taken away.

However what I will say is in the U.K you get a lot of stories of "Single Mum uses free meals benefit to save money for cigarettes and alcohol"

It is true some people genuinely need it but you hear that some people take it just because it's there, not because they need it. And this irritates me.