RTB - Why shut it down vs. defer leadership?

Author Topic: RTB - Why shut it down vs. defer leadership?  (Read 5137 times)

badspot owed ephi lots of money. things got ugly.

I see people use that one more to express lightheartedness in a post that may not come off that way.

I see people use it for the inverse: to intentionally make a post that seems lighthearted come off as being more of a jackass.

For the record the comment was 'Took long enough' after my add-on had sat waiting review for over a month.

I'd be pretty irked about getting a person who acts as snarky as you did.

I think I was within my bounds to be slightly annoyed that it took three weeks to get a very simple update approved. His reply was a massive escalation from a tiny comment venting my annoyance. It was his own fault there was a backlog, he used to have community members help maintain it but he never ended up adding anyone else to it after the old moderators left which obviously left himself with all the work.

You didn't have to be snarky and instigate anymore frustration out of him. Like really, the guy was obviously a hornets nest and you just had to kick him.

I'd be pretty irked about getting a person who acts as snarky as you did.

You didn't have to be snarky and instigate anymore frustration out of him. Like really, the guy was obviously a hornets nest and you just had to kick him.
Well, first of all it's good to note that the comment wasn't intentionally directed at him. I posted it in the RTB listings thread for my add-on, I don't think anyone would automatically assume that the thread would be read by Ephi. You could potentially make this same argument against any of the dozens of people here who constantly stuff on Badspot's work to a much greater extent just because he's lazy and/or done with the game. I'd say it's a moot point.

In addition, it wasn't actually obvious yet that Ephi was a "hornet's nest", RTB was still running and he was still a moderator.

In addition, it wasn't actually obvious yet that Ephi was a "hornet's nest", RTB was still running and he was still a moderator.
I think maybe you weren't too familiar with Ephi. He was always highly strung over his work, whether it was hosting RTB or moderating.
Yours wasn't the first time he got angry at someone criticising/bemoaning his work, whether to his face or not.

I don't envy the position he was in, or the abuse he got, even if he didn't always hold his tongue when he should have.

Really? Even after the "stuff list" incident and several outbursts? Man, you really don't lurk much.

RTB wasn't originally his but he took control of it later on. So he could have given it to someone else instead of shutting it down.
So the question is... why?

So the question is... why?

Probably because he didn't feel like giving his project away to someone else because he didn't feel was going to do it justice or he just felt that it was his and his alone. I would say he would take the selfish route, after all he has a generally stuffty attitude to pretty much everyone in blockland and in general he's quite the douche canoe. His bullstuff "stuff list" was just there to shake his saber and the only good/notable thing he contributed overall was RTB. Overall, while he did ban the stuffheads from the forum, he still picked fights with a lot of people here. A cynical attitude to everyone you meet would certainly make you distrustful of anyone.

Tl;dr, he has some major attitude issues that prevented him from handing off ownership.

I was only disappointed to see it go because of the Add-On hosting honestly.

Almost everybody used it, it was full of simple and organized categories. It made it so much easier to find Add-Ons having them all in one place.

I mean yeah, there's Blockland Glass, but not everyone uses its add-on hosting, and there are very few categories. Most people post their stuff on the forums anyways, but there's no tag system in place to make finding Add-Ons easier, and the "Sort by" function is completely broken.

As far as I know, the only real way to find Add-Ons is checking out servers that might have some and hoping the host will let you know what it's called and where to get it, general word of mouth, or constantly checking the Add-Ons board and seeing something good at the right time.

I'm amazed that after these couple of years Blockland has been on Steam there still is no workshop support.

I'm amazed that after these couple of years Blockland has been on Steam there still is no workshop support.

hmm sounds like you're onto something here

B-but don't you need internet for any downloaded workshop stuff to work? With Blockland you can keep the add-ons in offline mode and still use them. (although it will think you're in demo mode and disable some types)

I don't think so. I haven't used it in a long time, but I remember before the workshop was even a thing L4D2 had a similar Add-On system to Blockland's. After the workshop integration it still worked the same, downloading stuff into L4D2's Add-On folder. It's not like they were only available on the Steam Cloud or some bullstuff.