Author Topic: This is the Police - that game where you juggle between corruption & justice  (Read 3076 times)

Dive into a deep story of corruption, crime and intrigue. Take the role of gritty Police Chief Jack Boyd, and come face to face with the ugly underbelly of Freeburg, a city spiraling the drain. Will Jack reach his retirement with a nice stack of bills, or will he end up broken ... or worse?

Manage your staff, respond to emergencies, and investigate crimes in a city on the brink of chaos. The mafia underworld maneuvers behind the scenes, sinking their claws ever deeper into the city, even as the mayor is ready to exploit every situation to his political advantage.

Choose your approach to each situation as it unfolds. Sometimes you’ll be responding to a developing crCIA at a crime scene, or negotiating with Freeburg’s crime bosses. Sometimes you’ll find yourself dodging questions in the press room, or even the occasional cross-examination in the witness box. Can you keep this pressure cooker from exploding, at least for long enough to stash away a nice retirement nest egg?

this is the police is a very film noir with corruption everywhere and being a good cop is objectively harder. it's a cliche drama-cop story type of game, with good voice acting & dialogue going hand-in-hand with the better storytelling. the gameplay may feel slow waiting for a crime to occur, but it makes up for it with plenty of random events, and sometimes you can choose yourself what to do/say in them. there can also be a lot of humorous (depending on your view of humor) moments such as deciding whether or not to use police brutality at feminist/LGB protests, and the ability to conduct investigations yourselves after your detectives have spent days gathering the pieces of a crime (which you will also have to arrange in chronological order), but i've heard that the core gameplay is pretty addictive.

there are even certain moments where you may be hard pressed to fire/act against certain cops or target a type of police officers (such as by race or gender & more) or reject to maintain justice & righteousness and face the repercussions

the game has received mostly positive reviews (very positive on steam!), but a couple of reviewing sites are giving it a 3 or 4 out of 10 due to the options it gives you against a few minority events

the game devs, weappy studio, is also from minsk, belarus, a country that's rather known for having harsh corruption problems & dictatorship-esque conditions

screenshots!

bonus

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:53:34 PM by Decepticon »

Looks fun but stressful as forget, I gotta pick this up soon.

Sort of the opposite of Liberal Crime Squad.
kinda if you want, but it's more of a noir police simulator if anything, it's your choice if you want to react harshly to modern day liberalism or not ingame
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 03:28:49 PM by Decepticon »

is there a link to the game or

Feminism/activism/police brutality seem to be like 1% of this game's actual content.

Having read the Destructoid review and watched the trailer, it seems like this game just has a very surface level exploration of those kinds of topics, without really going deep or requiring some kind of hard moral choice. It seems those themes were only included to bait controversy.

Haven't played it though idk

playing it right now and havent seen any of it
this topic title was pretty clickbaity lmao

playing it right now and havent seen any of it
this topic title was pretty clickbaity lmao
to be honest i made the topic before i actually played the game, it was installing at 75% at the time i made it and forgot to change it because i was playing the game, sorry about that

the game is still pretty fun, and does have some themes of the feminist/SJW controversy, though definitely not as much as what i thought it did. it's a good sim/time management
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:52:33 PM by Decepticon »

Got to one of the story ends today, gonna try to get the other ending now. But first, story time!!!

Get call about a wheelchair bound man throwing molotovs at his lawyers house.
I send three mid-professional officers to the scene. They approach the man slowly. The man throws another molotov, and I have to shoot:

The wheelchair dude
The molotov
The sky

I shoot the molotov.

All three officers dead.

god bless the men in blue

to be honest i made the topic before i actually played the game, it was installing at 75% at the time i made it and forgot to change it because i was playing the game, sorry about that

the game is still pretty fun, and does have some themes of the feminist/SJW controversy, though definitely not as much as what i thought it did. it's a good sim/time management
maybe its reflecting on just how insignificant/pointless sjws and gay protests are. just because its in the media everywhere doesn't mean it's everywhere in real life.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:33:59 PM by c »