My Windows 10 Desktop is completely screwed up

Author Topic: My Windows 10 Desktop is completely screwed up  (Read 1107 times)

While playing team fortress 2 I accidently tabbed out, so I went back into the game and after getting bored of playing I exit out to find this on my desktop

The strange thing about this is the fact all of the buttons and files open correctly despite their icons looking corrupted.
The right side of my desktop is suppose to be full of files, but they all disappeared and are still able to be double clicked and openned. Windows Explorer also does not open or respond.
This fixes with a restart, but I don't want to restart my pc all the time.

/discuss

Are those red lines over the file names part of it?

Check to see if your TF2 game resolution is the exact same as your monitor's resolution

Are those red lines over the file names part of it?
No, they are private files

Check to see if your TF2 game resolution is the exact same as your monitor's resolution
It's the same as my resolution, and I don't use a monitor. I use a HDMI cord to my 1360x760 TV

Does TF2 even support that weird resolution? Thats literally the first time I've ever heard it

Does TF2 even support that weird resolution? Thats literally the first time I've ever heard it
Yes it does.
16:9

As far as I can determine, certain games don't play nice with Windows Explorer, especially in fullscreen mode. The end result is that Explorer freaks out and gets stuck in an unrecoverable state. It seems to behave weirder with non-standard resolutions and weaker GPUs, such as yours.

If Explorer ever crashes on you, either keep clicking on it until you get a prompt to close it (the "Poke-it-to-check-it's-dead" Approach) or Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then kill the Explorer process (the "I'm-not-taking-your-stuff" Approach). To restart explorer, open up the Task Manager and then either click the File>Run new task, enter "Explorer" without quotes and then press enter, or failing that, right-click on the "Task Manager" entry under Apps, select "Open File Location" and then double-click on Explorer.exe.

As for preventing this kind of situation, you may wish to try borderless windowed mode that is available in all Source games. To enable borderless windows, in Steam, right-click on the Source game of choice (in this case TF2), select Properties>Set Launch Options... and then enter the following:

-windowed -noborder

Select Ok>Close. From now on, your game will run in a fullscreened window without a border, which will allow you to seamlessly switch between the game and your desktop without Explorer dying off. This is also very handy for crash-prone games, like the Source games, as it makes shutting them down a cinch.