Author Topic: Give me advice if you take these AP classes pls  (Read 2924 times)

holy hell, fix your schedule. I could barely do three APs with all of the HW and exams. I would say English is a good one though since it lets you skip an English in college. But you will be lucky to get a three and tons of writing. I've heard a lot of people say good things about AP Psychology and how AP Human Geography is easy but this was from my own school perspective.

this. Seriously no more than 4 ap classes. otherwise its Self Delete. unless you plan to stay up till 3am every night and get no sleep and have no life.

Haven't taken the Any of these APs, i did calc AB but youre in bc, which is what im going into.

However, i took english 3 honors (taking e4 ap this year) so i did take the english AP TEST to see what it would be like this year. I didnt study for it at all. Got a 5. Its easy, just takes a while to write essays.

Took an AP class for one week the beginning of freshman year in high school and realized on the first day that it wasnt for me at all.

was this because you werent a very good...Planr?

ap us history is a ton of work, it might not be a good idea to do it alongside other AP classes

what do you plan on majoring and minoring in

What's an AP class?
advanced placement
basically harder classes for more college credit that may or may not be worth it and could potentially hurt more if you don't do well than if you just took a regular class and did good

APUSH isn't that bad, so long as you do your reading and pay attention in class.

I wouldn't recommend taking this many AP courses in a single year, maybe try splitting it between this year and next year.

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I didn't introduce myself. I've actually achieved all A's throughout middle school to high school, and I do rather well listening, reading, writing, etc... but I will probably drop AP human geography for Spanish or whatever, I'm still thinking about it.
Oh forget. I have to take the SAT/ACT too.

Drop AP Human Geography. The class is easy, but it's chalk full of busywork and has virtually no use as college credit unless you want to be a geographer. You'll be stressed out in no time with it.

AP Calculus B,C
AP Human Geography
AP English
AP US History
AP Psychology

Wha- You're crazy. Are you trying to die of frustration and stress? Sure it's college points, but CALM DOWN!!

idk i took an AP world class and it was a breeze, probably because the teacher was lenient, and passed the test with a 3. didn't even take AP english comp but the school let me take the test anyways and i passed with a 4 (highest anyone from my school has ever gotten). i'm taking AP english lit and APUSH this year

you should be fine if you've got good work ethic and have already know you do well with difficult work.

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I didn't introduce myself. I've actually achieved all A's throughout middle school to high school, and I do rather well listening, reading, writing, etc... but I will probably drop AP human geography for Spanish or whatever, I'm still thinking about it.
Oh forget. I have to take the SAT/ACT too.
The SAT/ACT are more about cognitive ability rather than actual fact learning.  If you're relatively capable in terms of cognitive function and critical thinking, as well as used to standardized testing like it's nobody's business, you should be fine.  Take practice ones, if you're really concerned get some practice books as well.  Human Geog is pretty easy though so you may want to consider your options but of course do what your gut says.

Drop AP Human Geography. The class is easy, but it's chalk full of busywork and has virtually no use as college credit unless you want to be a geographer. You'll be stressed out in no time with it.
Not true, it can count as a gened in some cases.  I'm taking Intro to Human Geography right now and it's a gened credit.

hope you do well on your armor piercing classes

the workload for ap's at different schools are different, so i can't say for sure but that's a pretty heavy schedule.
i advise dropping AP's you dont care for and aren't on topics that are really useful (human geo comes to mind). it sounds like you can take the rest though; just fill up the extra class with something easy you can relax with.

you can get into good colleges with half that workload; the important part is keeping up your grades, and spending your free time doing things that you really like and matter (eg community service, hobbies that aren't vidya games, sports, any kind of club, etc). You will need something to write about in your college application that proves to admission readers that you are someone worth accepting into college, someone who's dedicated to the things they care about and will work towards improving it as a field, or it as a skill. Vidya games count as a hobby worth talking about if you're into developing them as a result of enjoying playing them; being a pro gamer isn't something that impresses a lot of people despite how hard it can be.

Optionally, (get your parents to) pay for one of those expensive tutoring/college admission assisting things, and do half of what I said above. That's what I ended up doing and I'm now in a prestigious university (though how much I deserve to be here is something i question time to time).

Literally the only ones that require effort are bio and calc.  Even then, it's not the end of the world if you don't get the AP credit for college (I'm assuming you're pursuing something STEM related).  English may or may not require effort depending on your teacher.  As far as psych, I took it and it was piss easy just pay attention and practice.  My friends told me US history and human geog was also piss easy.

I should also note you can consider maybe taking some of them next year instead.  Space out your hard APs with easy ones per year.
Uh, APUSH doesn't take no effort. When I took APUSH, we had a 900 page textbook, and we read the entire thing that year. That was like 30-60 pages (textbook pages, not regular book pages) of information a week. I didn't really study super efficiently (I would read the chapters at night when I was tired and forget a lot of it) so I got a B second semester.

I took Calc BC and got a 5, and a 5 on the AB subscore. I think if you get a prepbook and just keep up with the material through the year by reading through it, you should be okay. Calc is all about foundational knowledge, make sure not to fall behind or you might not understand the next unit. Please try and understand all the concepts as fully as you can. Try looking in weird places. I remember seeing a gif of how graphed taylor series approximated functions helped me make sense of them.
Also, if you feel like you're doing garbage on the AP test, don't fret. It's super curved. I felt like I couldn't do half of the FRQ section and I ended up with a 5.

I know you might feel a pressure to do this many classes to appease colleges, but it's not worth it IMO. I think colleges would much rather see a well-rounded individual who does interesting things in their spare time. That being said, I definitely know people who can handle a schedule like this. I have a friend who took like 14 APs probably and he got into Carnegie Mellon's CS program, which is super prestigious. He was valedictorian though, and he had lots of extracurriculars to balance his life out.

Just to lend some perspective, I ended up doing like 5 AP classes total (sounds low right?) and one self-studied AP. (computer science) It was okay though, because I took a college CS course, a college-level calculus course at my school, and a forgetton of CS electives. My final GPA was a 5.03 or something. I ended up enrolling in the University of Michigan engineering program, which is one of the most prestigious engineering programs in the world. In hindsight, I think I should have done AP Lang or AP Psych just to round out my classes a bit more, as most of my APs/electives/extracurriculars were super STEM based.

So you'd be doing more APs in junior year than I did in my high school career. Sounds like overkill. I think you should drop 2 or 3 AP classes and focus on trying to better yourself. Think about doing an internship or doing a cool service project. (A friend of mine had an idea to host a Smash Bros tournament series for charity. That would have looked hella good on a college app.) Just do something that would catch an admission officer's eye. Differentiate yourself from the leagues of 4.0 UW GPA, 12 AP classes, tennis state champions that inevitably apply to all the schools you're applying to.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 02:09:11 PM by ultimamax »