Author Topic: Should I get a Nikon p900?  (Read 329 times)

I'm really interested in the Nikon p900 because of the really far zoom that it has and the ability to zoom in on the moon with it. But I'm curious if there's something else out there that has more bang for the $$$. And is the p900 really worth getting or not?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:58:15 PM by sorrel »

Well I have the Nikon d7100. It's in the same price range of the one you're looking at and takes some pretty great photos.

What really matters the most though is the lens you decide to use and they can get pretty expensive, especially if you're trying to maintain quality when zooming in. You can have a junky $300 entry level camera and still take phenomenal photos if you have a good lens attached.

I'll have to agree that the lens definitely will make or break image quality. However, the main problem with older/cheaper models is the ISO sensitivity. The newer/more expensive models will get you far better image quality/less grain at higher ISO's, which a lot of times is useful for the dark, obviously, but also times where you want a specific shutter speed/aperature and don't want to sacrifice those by raising the ISO for worse image quality. I think it's worth finding the middle ground and getting a good kit bundle, that way you can upgrade your lens later, but not have to worry about high ISO grain.