R.I.P BlockNet Hosting Service

Author Topic: R.I.P BlockNet Hosting Service  (Read 3294 times)

digitalocean.

Only if you want the $5 tier - otherwise linode servers are almost twice as fast as digitalocean ones and have twice as much memory.

Kinda like RTB, have a good control panel to use online. I loved how RTB had a place to view chat online and even talk to your players online. You could enable addons and even admin/deadmin people.
To add on to what I said:

With Steam, people have no key to use for a hosting service. Hosting services literally have handicaps. You have to provide rental keys to host under. Free rental keys after some time on the service might attract more buyers, because it probably feels like you're getting ripped off when you have to pay an extra dollar for something Steam players can't control like BlockNet did.

Edit: Also, I'd love to have another hosting service. I've bought over 1.5 years of hosting service from HammerHost and BlockNet.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:40:53 PM by rggbnnnnn »

This does not affect me much because i dont host and when i do its a listen server but its kinda sad that it closed.

My alternative is just to get an old computer and use it to host the dedicated server.

Only if you want the $5 tier - otherwise linode servers are almost twice as fast as digitalocean ones and have twice as much memory.
This all the way. Having used Digitalocean and Linode, Linode is far superior. Also for smaller plans I'd actually recommend Vultr over digitalocean as well. Been using them for a while.

This all the way. Having used Digitalocean and Linode, Linode is far superior. Also for smaller plans I'd actually recommend Vultr over digitalocean as well. Been using them for a while.

never actually heard of linode but i'll be sure to check them out, at the moment i still have some credit left with DO though.

I've never used a vps, and I would want to, but I don't want to pay for one and not know what to do, is there some sort of guide I could read, or use?

I've never used a vps, and I would want to, but I don't want to pay for one and not know what to do, is there some sort of guide I could read, or use?
If you're new to it the easiest thing to do is to use a Windows server. It's really easy because it's basically the same as just having a remote desktop.

None of the services we're discussing offer Windows servers out of the box. You would have to buy a copy of Windows server and install it on your VPS. Or find a service that offers windows servers.
There are other downsides too though, windows requires a lot of memory and tends to be slower than most Linux distros.

Awwww. I wanted to use Blocknet at one point.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:09:41 PM by .Kong123. »

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:09:51 PM by .Kong123. »

you mean vps
yea, android autocorrects to vpn unless I press that dumb checkmark next to suggested words before hitting space. I am not trying to hide my ip lol.

I was thinking of letting someone host from my laptop for free, if they wanted to.

Not sure how it would work out, though.

I was thinking of letting someone host from my laptop for free, if they wanted to.

Not sure how it would work out, though.
That wouldn't work out. Get a vps.

no one mentioned NFO yet?
at least they won't threaten to cancel your service over a 5 minute DoS attack, stuff.

EDIT:
i might write one up tomorrow, may also look into creating a dedicated server interface as well
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:06:53 AM by TheBlackParrot »

no one mentioned NFO yet?
at least they won't threaten to cancel your service over a 5 minute DoS attack, stuff.

EDIT:i might write one up tomorrow, may also look into creating a dedicated server interface as well

That'd be cool if you did man