holy forget Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is getting trashed

Author Topic: holy forget Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is getting trashed  (Read 5655 times)

Who the forget thought it was a good idea to have microtransactions for singleplayer?

I think modding it to give access to the store items for free would fall under fair use
first of all fair use is a copyright thing
second you agree when you install the software to not reverse-engineer it, and for that very reason

I guess you could say opinions are divided.
holy stuff you aren't dead?
where you been at tho

Basically what McJob said. Costs of development are rising, revenue needs to rise in order to stay in business.
This means either:
- Charge more per game
- Make smaller games at the same price
- Find other things to charge for

Take your pick.
It's stuffty, but it's how it is

in my honest opinion i'm more of a person who is in between making good content for people and making more revenue at it.

i know little of how it is to be one of those big companies that make AAA+ games and the business behind said company and i cannot imagine how it feels to be on their shoes, but if i ever made a AAA+ i would at least have a good reason behind DLCs/microtransactions/etc

basically money is good and we need more revenue and stuff but at the same time at least think of some good and reasonable content that barely or doesn't affect gameplay at all before throwing the microtransactions and DLC in there

a good example is in total war shogun 2 there is a gore mod you can buy, you don't exactly need it but it's there in case if you want a gorey experience

i'm neutral on DLCs and microtransactions but i'm against any DLCs or microtransactions that ruin any elements on the game
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:07:52 PM by Timestamp »

first of all fair use is a copyright thing
second you agree when you install the software to not reverse-engineer it, and for that very reason
here's the thing: there's absolutely no legal precedent that prevents you from modifying an executable file you legally buy, and any company that actually pursues that legal precedent would be absolutely destroyed by the pure hate of the internet crushing down upon them

Maybe this game can take some heat off NMS.

Now this game is truly sleazy. Microtransactions for weapons in a singleplayer game that are hard saved.

here's the thing: there's absolutely no legal precedent that prevents you from modifying an executable file you legally buy, and any company that actually pursues that legal precedent would be absolutely destroyed by the pure hate of the internet crushing down upon them
I think there are some, which went in favor of modding
not entirely sure about executables, but there were some cases for old hardware with cartridges
a company reverse engineered how it worked to make their own games for the platform, was sued, and then won

I'm pretty sure it's only the music industry that manages to shut down the right of fair use
if you try to crack their encryption on legally obtained music for use on other devices, then they get pissy about it

but overall, I can only justify a company stopping any form of modding for multiplayer games, if it's negatively affecting other players (ie an aimbot/wall hack/other cheats)
but for single player games, I can't really see a company having a good argument in court

It's their game if the developers don't want you loving up their game that's their business.

What's with self entitled gamers these days that get pissy when told they can't modify a game.

Maybe this game can take some heat off NMS.

Now this game is truly sleazy. Microtransactions for weapons in a singleplayer game that are hard saved.
It's their game if the developers don't want you loving up their game that's their business.

What's with self entitled gamers these days that get pissy when told they can't modify a game.
whose side are you on jeez

whose side are you on jeez

The second quote isn't even related to the first quote's discussion.

Sometimes I don't know how to even respond to you. It's almost like everything you post is either stupid or irrelevant.

if you think microtransactions on singleplayer games are sleazy but think modders who mod games are self entitled despite the fact the whole idea is to unlock the microtransactions, that seems kinda self-conflicting.

yes, you can state that "both shouldn't happen" but we're talking about a response to something that already exists, not the hypothetical best scenario where everything is perfect.