Badspot is going to take over the world with a battle robot

Author Topic: Badspot is going to take over the world with a battle robot  (Read 24057 times)

I made a radio transmitter

where did you learn how to do this stuff? are there any specific websites that you used to figure this out?

Badspot

• Administrator
where did you learn how to do this stuff? are there any specific websites that you used to figure this out?

Google searching and trial and error.  I follow various electronics youtube channels so I knew what stuff existed but this was my first foray into arduino.  There's tons of source code and libraries available and sites like sparkfun and adafruit put effort into making sure people can use their products, so there's some info there.  Really though I had no idea how I was going to do it when I started.  I thought I had heard that a teensy micro controller could act as usb host, but that turns out to not be true?  I searched around for alternatives and bought an arduino uno and a usb host shield.  Got hello world working on that then searched around for radio stuff.  Tried a bunch of different libraries and two different kinds of transmitters.  Got them working to the point where I could send a message across my desk.  At this point I'm browsing amazon all the time just looking at random stuff and I see you can get a tiny 0.96" oled screen for $10.  Well stuff that looks cool, so I bought it.  Then I searched around for how to make it work.  Later I found a larger 2.45" version on ebay, which makes it a lot more usable.  I got everything prototyped on a breadboard with relatively cheap parts from amazon prime before trying to cram everything inside the the controller.  

Basically I just broke the problem down into parts and researched them individually.  I want xbox->robot control, so first is xbox->arduino, then arduino->radio, then radio->2nd radio/arduino, then arduino->servo.  

Badspot does a lot of interesting things, lol

you should add some bushings in between the axles and the chassis

also paint a mean face on it

Badspot

• Administrator
you should add some bushings in between the axles and the chassis

The final aluminum version will have this, but you can't really press bearings into acrylic.