Author Topic: Virtual Reality brainstorm  (Read 1597 times)

Yes, I know this has been posted before, but I have had some ideas on how to fix some of the problems and the other topics were too old.
I must say, they are pretty hacky.

One of the problems was the tilting.
Tilting the camera can be done in vehicles like planes.
So what if there was some sort of "vr vehicle" in which the player sits that tilts the way the headset tilts?
A sort of invisible ball rolling in place with seats.

An other problem was the ability to have 2 cameras, which is unsupported by the engine.
But what if we run a second client, which acts as the second eye?
Since it is allowed to run 2 clients from the same IP, it shouldn't be an issue.
And most VR games already demands a beefy PC, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

And to make it work with my first idea, the ball can have 2 seats.
One for each eye.
Then they will always stick together, if the second players aim gets reset if moved.
The movement can be done by warping to not get motion sick.

We also have to disable cam shake in some way, to not get eye raped by the other people.

I am throwing it out here because this board has more of the technical minds than the other ones.
I hope we can figure this out, because I'd love to actually be inside the game I've been playing for over 8 years.

So any other problems on why VR wouldn't work?

I must say, they are pretty hacky.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you literally have to hack the game and inject VR output code to even get it to work with a VR headset.

this would work pretty much only as a freecam thing though if done like this. its probably better off to write some sort of build-to-model converter and using an engine like unreal or unity to see the model in vr

its probably better off to write some sort of build-to-model converter and using an engine like unreal or unity to see the model in vr

or making blockland 2 in unreal that supports vr

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you literally have to hack the game and inject VR output code to even get it to work with a VR headset.
3D VR videos are nothing more than 2 screens of the same scene next to each other at slightly different angles.
You can play them in VLC like a normal video but without the 3D.
Although with Blockland, it might need a third party program to enable the headset and send the data.

this would work pretty much only as a freecam thing though if done like this. its probably better off to write some sort of build-to-model converter and using an engine like unreal or unity to see the model in vr
Doing it in Blockland would mean more than just seeing your builds.
You would also see other players interacting with the world, events would work, shooting guns and exploding builds, ...

If my idea doesn't work, I am willing to settle for it though.

Slightly different positions, not just angles. Blockland in it's current state is not capable of rendering from two different positions. Running a second client for this sounds like an awful idea.

Running a second client for this sounds like an awful idea.
sure that might sound like a awful idea
but if that is one way to do it
then why not do it

Wait so according to this thread you can't make the camera move 360 or walk anywhere?

sure that might sound like a awful idea
but if that is one way to do it
then why not do it

except it's not
there'd be too much latency

then there's the problem of, you know, actually interacting with stuff

except it's not
there'd be too much latency

then there's the problem of, you know, actually interacting with stuff
You probably won't be able to do quick movement, but slow should be possible without too much lag.
As long as you are also the one hosting the server of course.

Interacting would be done by controlling one of the clients.
You'd be able to shoot and build without too much trouble.
The second client would only be used for your second eye.

Wait so according to this thread you can't make the camera move 360 or walk anywhere?
I heard it wasn't possible on a bot to tilt the camera sideways because of engine limitations.
Which would be weird to not be able to do in VR.
I could be wrong about this.

I heard it wasn't possible on a bot to tilt the camera sideways because of engine limitations.
Which would be weird to not be able to do in VR.
I could be wrong about this.
The camera tilts with the vehicle in first person.