Poll

Should I turn this into a RPG discussion thread?

Yes
7 (70%)
No
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Rpg Discussion - Discuss RPGs!  (Read 4993 times)

paper mario series is dead as an rpg yeah

haven't played M&L past the second game, but I really prefer the good ol pixel art style instead of the last 2 3d model ones

I heard the latest installments in the M&L series were hand-holding tutorialfests, but that could be wrong

dream team has too many tutorials but the game itself is still really good (and not easy)
paper jam has mostly skippable tutorials and is the hardest mario & luigi game imo

1 thing i can appreciate about M&L is that it's still a difficult game. paper mario boss battles nowadays are "choose the correct sticker and 1 hit the boss, or you get instakilled"

I wonder if M&L's battle scenes and platforming are patented...

Because I'd really like to see another game (or myself ) expand upon it

I'd like to see a RPG a lot like M&L

superstar saga appealed to me where final fantasy didn't, paper mario too

I LOVE action commands in rpgs, gives another depth of skill aside from turn management and just using your most powerful attack with a single button. :P
which final fantasy(ies) are you talking about? 1-3 used a turn based combat system, 4-9 used atb which made combat real time (in a sense), 10 has ctb which is basically a more strategic turnbase system, and 12 is an evolution of vagrant story's combat but more fluid, and 13 is... an action rpg with atb elements.

Chrono trigger had it's own ATB system where it was set in the overworld and the efficiency of techs depended on enemy placement.

which final fantasy(ies) are you talking about? 1-3 used a turn based combat system, 4-9 used atb which made combat real time (in a sense), 10 has ctb which is basically a more strategic turnbase system, and 12 is an evolution of vagrant story's combat but more fluid, and 13 is... an action rpg with atb elements.

Chrono trigger had it's own ATB system where it was set in the overworld and the efficiency of techs depended on enemy placement.

The early ones I guess, I've only ever played 3 :x

I wonder if M&L's battle scenes and platforming are patented...

Because I'd really like to see another game (or myself ) expand upon it
patenting a game design is thankfully, as far as i know, unprecedented. i wanted to make a M&L-style RPG, but i feel like i'd enjoy working on a game that takes on a slightly different formula instead. i definitely admire the series a lot tho and i think it has a p big impact on how i personally would make an RPG game

haven't played M&L past the second game, but I really prefer the good ol pixel art style instead of the last 2 3d model ones
i actually prefer the 3D environments with 2D actors thing they've done. i think they pulled it off p well, at least in dream team

Favorite TTRPGs: D&D, Pathfinder and Shadowrun.

Paper mario and Deus ex are my 2 favorite. Mostly paper mario tho

patenting a game design is thankfully, as far as i know, unprecedented.

Ah, I mean, I was reading tvtropes and apparently katamari has an aspect of its gameplay patented https://www.google.com/patents/US7402104

Ah, I mean, I was reading tvtropes and apparently katamari has an aspect of its gameplay patented https://www.google.com/patents/US7402104
What to forget

Has anyone played Vargrant Story?

Skyrim is high in the list for me too, but i must say i love the Divinity series, including the recent Divinity Original Sin (and upcoming Original Sin 2 probably will be even better).
I highly recommend them unless you do not like turn based stuff, because the combat is turn based.
But it really works well for the game.