Poll

Should I turn this into a RPG discussion thread?

Yes
7 (70%)
No
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Rpg Discussion - Discuss RPGs!  (Read 4926 times)

There's no "no true scotsman" argument here because it is, by definition, an RPG. It's listed everywhere as an RPG. Wikipedia lists it as an RPG. Countless forum threads full of people call it an RPG. The official website itself lists the genre for every main series game as RPG. There's no top-down world view, no units to control. If it quacks like a duck...

Saying it's a strategy game just because it has type advantages that make you pick the best attack for the job is the same as saying Golden Sun or Final Fantasy aren't RPGs because certain magic deals more damage against specific monsters.
It's an rpg on training wheels with an indepth combat system then.

final fantasy 6-9
elder scrolls games

Mario & Luigi
Pokemon
Final Fantasy
Dark Cloud
Breath of Fire (V in particular is pretty underrated)
Legend of Legaia
Phantasy Star

List would be bigger but there's a lot of games I just haven't played it yet.

i think i like battlefield 3's rpgs the most

is that game good? I want to try it out.
I haven't got a chance to properly try all the originals, but out of all the ones I've played...
The only two I didn't like were PSO Episode 3, and PSO2.

mechwarrior
pokemon isn't really a roleplaying game tho
final fantasy isnt a roleplaying game either

i think i like battlefield 3's rpgs the most
Nah brother battlefield 4 rpgs are better

Call of duty 4 had some dope rpgs

nothing in specific comes to mind, apart from runescape which i haven't played in ages, as with world of warcraft

Ok, this is now rpg discussion thread.

daily rpg tip no.1

Never EVER fire an rpg inside a car

see that flaming hot gas coming from the back? yeah your buddies on the car are at best given a third degree burn from it.

rpgs are a very broad genre of games that look messy on a flowchart.

rpgs deviate into eastern and western styles.
_____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ _______________________

eastern rpgs focus on existing characters, story, have turnbased / hybrid combat, linear / semi linear, and tend to look straight out of an anime

action rpgs are a newer genre of eastern rpgs that focus on real time combat and take elements of western rpgs. dark souls would be an example of an action rpg, and a damn good one

tactical rpgs focus on grid-like combat, and tend to sport an isometric camera angle. the games play similar to any sort of strategy title. final fantasy tactics comes to mind as one of these games.

_____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ _______________________

western rpgs focus on player customization, real time combat, open world exploration, freedom of choice, and tend to look realistic

sand box rpgs fall under "western rpgs" and focus on exploration, customization, and interactivity. games like the elder scrolls would be considered a sandbox rpg

dungeon crawlers fall under "western rpgs" and focus on loot mechanics, combat, and grinding. a sub genre of dungeon crawlers would be roguelikes.
azure dreams, pokemon mystery dungeon, or any chunsoft game would fall under this category.

narrative rpgs fall under "western rpgs" and emphasize story, characters, and ambience above all. games like the witcher and mass effect fall under this category.

mmorpgs fit into their own category. they draw from both eastern and western rpg characteristics and mesh it into their own design. these types of games are designed to support anywhere from the hundreds to millions of players at any given time.

most mmorpgs incorporate a team / party system, crafting, numerous quests, dungeons, and pvp.

anyone that has ever played an mmorpg or any rpg before should be familiar with these terms:

xp
raid
grind
noob, n00b, fr00b, ch00b, nob, newb, n3wb, nub, nEWBZ, n3BWZ
level up
main
nerf
ninja loot
wtb
wts
lfg

if you played a bunch of rpgs in your life time career, see if you can recognize these quotes

"i fought mud crabs fiercer than you"

"i like swords"

"welcome to corneria"

"come and stay a while"

"you spoony bard"

xp
raid
grind
noob, n00b, fr00b, ch00b, nob, newb, n3wb, nub, nEWBZ, n3BWZ
level up
main
nerf
ninja loot
wtb
wts
lfg
i recognize every term on here except for lfg but i'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say it means looking for girlfriend

i recognize every term on here except for lfg but i'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say it means looking for girlfriend
yeah you nailed it dont worry
who needs a group anyways