Author Topic: PC issue: Stuck at loading windows screen after new graphics card  (Read 739 times)

I installed a new graphics card on my computer, yes I removed the old one and it's drivers with the DDU program, then I went to safe mode to install my new graphics card driver, but after that when I boot up to normal mode the loading windows screen gets stuck and won't load after that, I tried cleaning up the video drivers again and it does the same thing.

I was using a cheap Nvidia geforce 8300 gs as a temporary replacement and I installed a new GTX 750 Ti

Humour me. Install the original card and check that the OS still loads. If everything works smoothly, then the new GPU is likely bad or you'll installed it incorrectly. If the old GPU doesn't work, then the system is in a sad state.

Are you using Windows 10? Literally the exact same loving thing has happened to me just yesterday. I did a clean install of Windows 7 and updating my video drivers loops it back to that state. I had to do a system restore and it restored to the point where I didn't have my video drivers installed.

Are you using Windows 10? Literally the exact same loving thing has happened to me just yesterday. I did a clean install of Windows 7 and updating my video drivers loops it back to that state. I had to do a system restore and it restored to the point where I didn't have my video drivers installed.
No I use windows 7

Humour me. Install the original card and check that the OS still loads. If everything works smoothly, then the new GPU is likely bad or you'll installed it incorrectly. If the old GPU doesn't work, then the system is in a sad state.
I want to keep this option for later I want to know if there is anything else that I can do first, any options in the BIOS for example?

I'm going to go ahead and suggest a power cycle/CMOS clear even though I know I'll probably get yelled at because the problem "has nothing to with the CMOS, you're a loving idiot."

To do this, turn off your PC and unplug it then press the power button a couple times to clear any residual power stored in capacitors. Wait about 2 minutes and then plug your PC back in and start it up again.

Doing this will either fix your problem without really doing anything to your computer or do absolutely nothing without really doing anything to your computer, either way you have nothing to lose and it's a quick chance at a possible fix to pretty much any computer problem, no matter what the people on these forums might yell at me when I suggest it.

I'm going to go ahead and suggest a power cycle/CMOS clear even though I know I'll probably get yelled at because the problem "has nothing to with the CMOS, you're a loving idiot."
Nothing to lose, could fix the issue. Doubtful, though. He said that the problem is occurring in the Windows boot-screen, which means it's clearing both POST and BIOS just fine.

I want to keep this option for later I want to know if there is anything else that I can do first, any options in the BIOS for example?
Aside from the CMOS clearing as listed above...no, not particularly. I understand it's a pain to keep switching the cards, but we need to determine quickly where the problem lies. It's very possibly that you're not correctly installing the card (such as not supplying it the right amount of power or putting it in the wrong PCIe slot).

The BIOS lets us toggle basic configuration settings, but there's honestly not much settings relating to AGP/PCI/PCIe cards, and not much that would outright cause a crash. Besides, if anything is wrong with the BIOS, it'd be more likely that your BIOS isn't updated to support UEFI (required by the GTX 750Ti if what I'm reading is correct), at which point we'd need to be able to log in to the computer to update it.

Nothing to lose, could fix the issue. Doubtful, though. He said that the problem is occurring in the Windows boot-screen, which means it's clearing both POST and BIOS just fine.

Not starting a fight, but AFAIK the CMOS battery actually powers other components on the motherboard. Perhaps most notably the storage of the master boot record amongst other things potentially related to hardware and drivers and stuff like that. I will always suggest a CMOS clear as the first step in troubleshooting a problem that prevents a computer from booting or new hardware from working correctly, the same way I'll always suggest a restart as the first step in troubleshooting a problem in the OS environment.

I would say try that first, you never know if the GPU is broke and that's a good way of determining it before hopelessly trying to fix it

If I were to order the steps in solving a hardware issue then it'd probably look like:

1. CMOS clear
2. Remove component, check and re-seat it
3. Check with older/spare component(s)
4. Double-check component
5. RMA/Reinstall Windows
6. Cry/Wait
7. Rinse & repeat

I added the old graphics card back and it booted up normally..  I believe I do have to update the BIOS then, any tips?

I added the old graphics card back and it booted up normally..  I believe I do have to update the BIOS then, any tips?
Just remember that updating your BIOS can screw around with some other things as well. I'd suggest using a BIOS backup utility before you proceed.
Also, what motherboard and BIOS version do you have?

Just remember that updating your BIOS can screw around with some other things as well. I'd suggest using a BIOS backup utility before you proceed.
Also, what motherboard and BIOS version do you have?
It's an intel, the code of it is KGIBX10J.86A.3206.2009.0805.1 855

Thanks for the support guys, I did everything again (installing the old driver back and removing it's driver, then adding the new one in) and it worked! locking