Forest

Author Topic: Forest  (Read 4973 times)

A fortwars server located in a deep forest, where players need to use the resources around them to build up a base.

BETA-TESTING
^ Back to the top of this post. ^

Beta testing for the Forest game-mode will initiate very soon, once core functions of the game-mode are finished in a way I'm content with. Once I decide that beta-testing is appropriate, a download link will be given for the client add-on, as well as a cache file that you may replace with your own in order to skip download times. You may expect a fair amount of features listed below to be included within the beta, but please be warned that it's highly likely you're going to run into an issue. Since I'm, well, new to coding and all, of course.
There will be no limits to the beta-test period, so anybody is allowed to join in.
The only features that are left to finish off before I may start beta-testing are the money printers, the ability to teleport to friends, and store bricks.
tl;dr
Beta-testing is expected to start soon, within the next couple of days. A download will be given for the client file and a cache file, anybody is allowed in. Expect bugs.

FEATURES

The Forest game-mode strives to be similar to game-modes such as fortwars. One of the core features of this game-mode is the fact that the player has to build bases in order to keep themselves safe from other players, if the others they encounter happen to be hostile.
Current features for this game-mode include:

RESOURCES
    • Cut down trees with an axe item.
    • Building costs resources, which can be gained by cutting down trees.
      • Bigger bricks cost more resources.
      • You'll get resources back if you decide to undo a brick or hammer it.
    • Cutting down a tree fully adds to your score.

MONEY
    • You can spend money on items, or money printers.
    • There are multiple money printers; the more expensive, the better they are.
    • Weapons vary in price. Price balancing is planned to happen over the beta-test period.

WEAPONS
    • You're only allowed to spawn weapons on two select weapon spawns. One works for walls, and one for floors.
    • When you spawn a weapon, the only way to grab it is to click it. From there, it'll open up a window asking if you'd like to purchase it.
    • The weapon-pack is modified from HK. Neat icons have been added and multiple weapons have been added that were previously commented out.

THE MAP
    • The map is a gigantic forest, surrounded by invisible static shapes. This is generated by PTG.
    • The map saves chunks, so you'll see your build even if the server resets.
    • Every single tree is able to be cut down. Every. Single. Tree. Level the whole forest!
    • If you have the client add-on, you'll hear the appropriate ambience. Being underwater will play some special soundeffects to you as well, seen in the video.
    I'm pretty sure I went into detail with the wrong features, or didn't include some, so keep that in mind.

MEDIA
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:37:21 PM by Arekan »

this is a server
    a gamemod
    a show off??
    otherwize, sound nice!

wow this is a really proper fort wars
    awesome

HOST PLEASE
    Looks fun affffff

Arekan always seems to make some cool stuff, i really cant wait to play this

this looks really fun! hopefully I'll get the chance to play it sometime.

why is paint a resource

Another?
    Uh?

why is paint a resource
    It's not. Resources are just a number, this was before I completely coded it in.

It's not. Resources are just a number, this was before I completely coded it in.
    no he means that in the screenshot it looks like its a resource because the paint icon is under the resource gui text thing
    and its funny xdddd

A fundamental issue I had with the server is the fact that money is hard to get. You can only get it by killing players.
    I had a lack of motivation to create money printers, however, I've gotten the framework done, as well as a basic money printer.

All I need to do now is make a store room and the server'll be set for beta-testing.

Double-post to get this back to the front page.
    Topic has been overhauled.
    I'm staying in Gallery until the game-mode exits beta. Or unless Badspot'll move the topic for me.