Author Topic: My parents think letting me stay home alone for 3 days is illegal.  (Read 1252 times)

So I'm  about 17 and 1/2 right now, my parents are going away on some vacation for their anniversary  and they're forcing me to stay with my grandparents instead of letting me stay home on my own, their only reasoning is because they're saying its illegal, which is complete bullstuff as I've seen multiple instances of parents asking if its okay to let their 16-17 year old stay home on their own and not ONE person said "no its illegal" (in fact one of them apparently had their divorced mother try calling some kind of child protection service about it but they said they couldn't do anything about them staying home)

So how should I approach telling them this even, the trip is exactly a week away so I don't really have much time, I've saved a couple of links as proof but I don't really know how I should convince them that I should stay home by myself.

my parents went on vacation for a week on my 13th birthday, you can stay home for three days by yourself

jesus what kind of life do you have if you parents are that tight

My parents were insecure letting me stay by myself overnight when I was 18

Some parents leave their much younger kids home alone for longer times than that.

It's not at all illegal, and if you at least know how to serve yourself cereal or microwave something, then you're set.

my guess is that your parents actually don't want you home alone for a reason and they don't want to tell you why.

No offensive, but your parents must be pretty dumb to think that's illegal.

Christ, your parents sound really restrictive. Straight up tell your them you're an adult and can handle being home alone for a few days. Don't be sheepish when you tell them either.

my guess is that your parents actually don't want you home alone for a reason and they don't want to tell you why.
If this is the case, then you're probably forgeted. You won't convince them otherwise.

well, why don't you wanna go to your grandparents'?

because old people do old people things and it's boring as heck

because old people do old people things and it's boring as heck
my dad's mom just watches TV and gives me food, and that's about it. pretty much exactly like my actual parents

for an example my parents love to go to my grandads house because it's almost like a vacation house because it's got a pool out back and the atmosphere is great. don't get me wrong, i love it too. but there's absolutely nothing to do other than watch cable, go swimming (which isn't fun alone) or just sit around

Sounds like maybe they don't trust you.

dude that sucks, my parents let me stay home alone just fine, AND IM 15

because theres basically nothing to do there and it's really inconvenient trying to get to school from there, normally I could just walk/take a bus.

anyways I talked to them about it a bit more and they said they were willing to let me stay home alone at some other point but not during this whole trip because its "too long" for me to stay home to them.