Author Topic: Steam Greenlight to be replaced by "Steam Direct" in Spring 2017  (Read 2347 times)

i predict a lot more crowd sourced games to pay dem fees.

fee should be, like, $500. no one's going to pay $500 to post a joke.

fee should be, like, $500. no one's going to pay $500 to post a joke.
yeah have you seen what gets onto steam though? it's not jokes, it's just bad or broken games that people want to sell. Then those games sell and earn the creators more than $500. Everyone hates it.

yeah have you seen what gets onto steam though? it's not jokes, it's just bad or broken games that people want to sell. Then those games sell and earn the creators more than $500. Everyone hates it.
The ability to slap money on a table isn't going to fix that issue.
There's stuffty devs with money to toss around. There's good devs that are broke.

on one hand, i'm a fan of anything that makes it easier for developers of all sizes to sell and distribute new games. on the other, i defo understand the concerns for both consumers and devs if storefronts are flooded with broken shovelware titles. steam offers refunds now, which helps consumers a lot in that regard, and the review system on the store has improved by a fair amount, but devs obvs are still going to be competing for space. that being said, i don't know of many people these days who buy games they've never heard of for anything other than a laugh, so i'm not sure how much more valve could do in that regard. the need for things like tax documents will stop jimmy in 4th grade from using his dad's credit card to upload his 30 minute game maker game, but there are obvs lots of people willing to actually spend the money to make stuffty titles and sell them for a quick buck, as we've already seen on mobile stores
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:04:35 PM by otto-san »

maybe if steam mods just reviewed everything themselves so stuff wouldn't get in

Well I hope this will be better managed than Steam Greenlight, honestly I think the steam moderators allowed a bunch of stuffty games to be sold on the store on purpose as a joke.

maybe if steam mods just reviewed everything themselves so stuff wouldn't get in
it might get a bit difficult and expensive for valve to thoroughly QA test every application

it might get a bit difficult and expensive for valve to thoroughly QA test every application
valve probably makes at least 1 billion per year so cost is not a significant problem
if extensive QA testing for each game is too much which it probably is maybe valve should just hire like 10-20 people to look over submitted games each day who can then play them and make sure that they aren't absolute loving trash

but everyone should consider this: gabe newell seemed to suggest he believes there are no bad games on steam in his ama, just games that people don't like via subjective opinion. if he really does believe this then it is logical to assume that he wants as many games on the steam store as possible to appeal to everyone. so if you want game x or game y you can find it on steam. it is also in valve's best interests to let everything on the store because it will make them money regardless of its public reception

but honestly i do not understand why people are so fired up about junk getting onto steam. you don't have to buy any of it, you don't have to look at any of it (the front page of steam is filtered so that you never see it on the front page). you don't have to care about these games ever
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:33:04 AM by Gytyyhgfffff »

yeah a cursory look at the very least is defo appropriate. it would probably mean there'd be a potentially lengthy wait line, but it still means devs that make genuine efforts are able to at least eventually get in

yeah a cursory look at the very least is defo appropriate. it would probably mean there'd be a potentially lengthy wait line, but it still means devs that make genuine efforts are able to at least eventually get in
according to jim sterling right now at the very most 100 games get greenlit per day. if you hire like 10-20 people to play greenlit games for an hour each day steam will be able to look through all the games and make sure that they're actually working and not horribly forgetin broken

according to jim sterling right now at the very most 100 games get greenlit per day. if you hire like 10-20 people to play greenlit games for an hour each day steam will be able to look through all the games and make sure that they're actually working and not horribly forgetin broken
steam can hire me to do that as long as i get to keep the games

blockland slipped in while it could :D

what does it take to get on to Origin?