Author Topic: Miniature Flying Space Cathedral (30 pics)  (Read 2478 times)

So I was reading this thread, and I saw this image:

And I was quite taken with the overall design, so I slowly decided to slowly replicate it in in miniature, just working off the image and its proportions. It took about 26 iterations (half for matching the source, half for the interior), but I'm pretty happy with the final result. Here it is, 5246 bricks measuring 97 by 51 bricks by 81 plates. Below are some samples; full Imgur album link: http://imgur.com/a/jMhtW.

I took some artistic liberties with some details, but overall I tried to be as faithful as possible to the source within the constraints of SmallBricks. One major area of abridgement is in the window panels, but after experimenting with several possible designs I think the final one best reflects the original proportions. I also chose a roof that peaked more and bevelled the edges on the rear 'box'. And of course the entire interior was my own improvisation.

Validate me herr forum.

it's actually really cool that you managed to create such a detailed build in miniature with just a single picture

you do realize that these are uh capital ships
imperial capital ships
from warhammer 40k

the source material for the original build is much much more ornate and detailed than the build you replicated. nevertheless, impressive job.

That's more impressive and detailed than the original build, honestly. Particularly since I never finished the interior.

oh my god this is beautiful

you do realize that these are uh capital ships
imperial capital ships
from warhammer 40k

the source material for the original build is much much more ornate and detailed than the build you replicated. nevertheless, impressive job.

I didn't, though in retrospect that's obvious. I mean, who else makes gothic-themed spaceships?

Now that I see the source I agree there's a lot more detail than what I could make out from the source picture, and if I'd worked off the copious images for these I'd change a few facets of how I built the replica, but I think the original build maintained the overall profile of the ship quite well.

That's more impressive and detailed than the original build, honestly. Particularly since I never finished the interior.
Speaking of, thanks! I didn't notice your name on the thread at the time, but I know I wasn't the only to like that image in particular. The interior isn't that great, and I'm only really happy with the midsection and the roof molding.

As far as detail goes, even with Smallbricks there are limits to what can be done on this kind of scale, especially with curved features like the prow (took me like 3 iterations to get one that looked even remotely sensible), but for replicating blockland-to-blockland builds they're remarkably capable. Once someone's already put it into a grid-based system (and done the creative work) it's a lot easier than working from scratch.