Author Topic: Help dealing with adware/viruses on PC  (Read 1145 times)

So uh, I hate to admit it but I managed to somehow get some adware stuff on my pc.

started off with this one virus that'd make a new tab to this other site sometimes when I clicked on a page, so I quickly installed malwarebytes and it got 6 things (2 were listed as hijackers so I'm a bit worried about that, though I dont think I had logged into anything "important" between when I probably got them and now)

anyways, I restarted my pc after that, started up chrome only to be greeted with "webstarts.biz"

...greatttt.

anyways, I reset my browser on chrome and that seemed to remove webstarts from showing up on chrome, though now I have two more issues:

-I can't set my default browser for whatever reason, whenever I try to it just stays stuck as either microsoft edge or nothing.
-attempting to open microsoft edge causes it to open for a second and then close down right afterwards, not sure if thats a virus/adware doing that or if its malwarebytes forcing it to close since it probably still has that webstarts stuff loaded onto it and no form of adblocking.

I've left for school now but I started a full scan using both windows defender and bitdefender just incase, though I have no idea if those will fix whatever is causing this.

does anyone have any suggestions/experience with how to remove whatever is doing this?

Just scan using malware bytes and a good antivirus that isnt windows defender

Just scan using malware bytes and a good antivirus that isnt windows defender
tried a second malwarebytes scan and it didnt pick it up

also thats why I scanned with bitdefender too, I just did defender just in case one picks it up and the other doesnt.

adwcleaner/hitman pro will get everything as a last resort

adwcleaner/hitman pro will get everything as a last resort
I completely forgot those existed even though I've heard good things about them.

I'll try those if I get home and the scans dont pick up anything.

after looking around those two things could just be windows 10 issues, as I had never opened up edge except for just to install chrome when I first got it a few months ago, and I set it as default back then.

so that whole anniversary update thing could have just forgeted up both those things and I just never noticed until now, I dunno.

after looking around those two things could just be windows 10 issues
one golden lesson in the web : do not trust any ads.
i got BSOD'ed 3 times i guess in my computer

bitdefender is a trash antivirus that bogs down a large amount of your CPU and barely works
use something better and lighter please

windows defender is good but not on its own

bitdefender is a trash antivirus that bogs down a large amount of your CPU and barely works
use something better and lighter please

windows defender is good but not on its own
I always saw people say bitdefender was good, huh.

anything free that you could suggest that is better?

Avast is alright
I think I used avast before but it was being really annoyingly intrusive all the time

I'll try it again though

ive had issues setting default browser on win10 - it just wouldn't register the selection. im virus free too.

as for edge crashin: edge works for me fine so you may want to delve a little deeper

I suggest looking up RKill on BleepingComputer, it'll look for any malicious processes and kill them.

Don't use Norton Anti-virus.  it's bloatware.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:08:59 PM by cooolguy32 »