Author Topic: Evolution Simulator (Program release, see reply)  (Read 3249 times)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77mOTpppZwg

So I've been working on this little program for the past few days. It's supposed to simulate evolution of behavior in cells. The program has its own little scripting language and each of the cells has a script telling it what to do each frame. As the cell reproduces it gives a copy of that script to its child cells and occasionally the script gets mutated a bit. Most of the settings are still hardcoded in the program and I've only recently added an interface that still needs more buttons. The program comes with a "startinggene.bin" file and if you use the 'export' button on a cell you get a bin file which you can use to replace the startinggene.bin file if you want to keep a cell you particularly like. Also it will output a human readable version of the script to lastgene.txt. There's also a prefs.txt file with the option to disable multithreading since it causes crashes sometimes.

Here's a map viewed from afar. The lowest zoom levels just show a green on blue landscape. Maps are generated with perlin noise:

The starting cells are all the same:

Here we see roaming families of cells and the ground they have eaten:

After just a few minutes one will notice color changes, but these aren't really significant:

This is a behavioral evolution simulator and it's hard to convey behavior through images.

I was considering making a video of this and posting the program itself for download, but it might need more work before it's entertaining enough.

edit: I uploaded the actual program itself here:  if you want to try it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:29:38 PM by DrenDran »

This looks pretty cool, I've always been fond of evolution based games, and this is no exception. This looks like something with tons of potential, even though it's still cool now.

You should keep working on it to make it even better dude!  :cookieMonster:

neato, i love stuff like this

this is spore on the commodore 64
it even rhymes

Is it a realistic representation or just a fun thing to watch?

Is it a realistic representation or just a fun thing to watch?
When I get back home I'll explain how the evolution works. I might upload a video or something.

also, how big are the cells
because it looks like a colony of green fungus ravaging an entire continent in the picture

Awesome, haven't seen you post in a long time as well. I'd love to see how it works as well.

i think someone made a muscle movement based evolution game where the computer comes up with a few random modifications of one setup (the muscles act like pistons hooked to blocks. if you've ever messed with hydraulics in gmod - it's something like that)

the comp'd run a test with them all, and whichever could move forward the best was chosen

the modification stage would then repeat

one could argue that this is both a step forward in evolution simulation, and a step forward towards

i think someone made a muscle movement based evolution game where the computer comes up with a few random modifications of one setup (the muscles act like pistons hooked to blocks. if you've ever messed with hydraulics in gmod - it's something like that)

the comp'd run a test with them all, and whichever could move forward the best was chosen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgaEE27nsQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgaEE27nsQw

nah, that one's really cool but i've seen it before

it's got an AI working to improve utilization of preconfigured body shape. the program i remembered was 2D and the focus was around the change in the muscle/body setup/shape too
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:23:07 PM by Juncoph »

you might be thinking of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFws_hhZs8