Author Topic: Converting to Buddhism.  (Read 3423 times)

not objectively. many buddhists are non-theists/atheists since buddhism does not outline that there is a god.

http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell03.htm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicholas-liusuwan/is-buddhism-a-philosophy-_b_10176992.html
http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha/blog/2010/may/6/buddhism-religion-gary-gach/
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2013/oct/07/is-buddhism-a-religion

it's up for debate, definitely, but it's not a completely "out there" belief
Quote from: religion definition
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects:
the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices:
a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.:
to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience:

All Buddhists follow the teachings and principles of Buddha. Religion doesn't always encompass a uniform God. In Buddhism, you and the cosmos are your own deity and you dedicate your entire essence into finding out what your purpose is in the universe and helping others along the way.

I'm both Buddhist and Muslim at the same time, since muslims don't really criminalize following Buddhism and the Dalai lama says it's ok to believe In what you want sinc you're human

Win win halal and rice

Also Buddhism is fun to read about because they're so chill and stuff talking about how all people want happiness. The only thing I don't like about it is the Buddhism in myanmar, which says it's okay to murder communists and muslims.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:55:40 PM by Perry »

I was brought up in a household that followed buddhist teachings but didn't frequent a temple or anything. However my dad always practiced meditation with my brother and I and taught us to believe in the core principles of buddhism. I've definitely adopted a lot that I learned into my own life and while I don't consider myself a buddhist I do utilize a lot of the primary teachings in the way I live. Taking care of yourself, taking time to sit and think, breathing, moderation, etc. are all very important and I have always felt an extreme oneness with the earth and the universe, particularly when I do visit the temple/meditation and self reflection gardens that are near me!

^ my favorite place to meditate if/when I do get the chance
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:10:22 PM by neonfallout »

Is this the religion where you can reincarnation.

Taoism is better Nice. What variants of buddhism are there? Like what are the main ones?

I'm both Buddhist and Muslim at the same time, since muslims don't really criminalize following Buddhism and the Dalai lama says it's ok to believe In what you want sinc you're human

Win win halal and rice

Also Buddhism is fun to read about because they're so chill and stuff talking about how all people want happiness. The only thing I don't like about it is the Buddhism in myanmar, which says it's okay to murder communists and muslims.
Do you follow the "trap brothers money money BLM lord tony drank" religion, too?

Do you follow the "trap brothers money money BLM lord tony drank" religion, too?
deadass facts g

Who need to power of jesus when you can get the power of a .44 revolver?

I'm going to be a Buddhist too. I wanna reach Nirvana.

Is this the religion where you can reincarnation.
yes, as well as hinduism and jainism and a handful of other eastern religions

Win win halal and rice

interesting.. Care to explain your religious pursuit as a Muslim? I don't really agree with Islam ideologies because of the fact that it denounces a lot of personalities and groups (same can be said with many other religions as well) I do apologize though if I come off ass denouncing your religion, I just don't agree with the views. religious beliefs are always 100% fine as long as they aren't using those to cause harm to others

There are many different groups of buddhism but the majority of them don't really care what you do or who you are as long as you show faith in bettering yourself and the world because that's all that really matters. The two main groups of buddhism are mahayana and theravada but I would consider myself secular theravadin buddhist; secular because i don't believe that there is a god watching over us, only that there is the infinite existing universe. theravadin because i personally identify with the beliefs and ideologies on a greater level than with mahayana.

The two main groups of buddhism are mahayana and theravada

Pretty sure Vajrayana is bigger than Mahayana. Plus Mahayana is mostly secluded to Vietnam, which by now is a majority atheist if I remember correctly..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:30:19 AM by beachbum111111 »

Pretty sure Vajrayana is bigger than Mahayana. Plus Mahayana is mostly secluded to Vietnam, which by now is a majority atheist if I remember correctly..
Really depends on who you're talking to. Some view it as an extension of the Mahayana tradition, and some view it as completely distinct. If you're an atheist interested in Buddhism it's definitely the one to avoid.

interesting.. Care to explain your religious pursuit as a Muslim? I don't really agree with Islam ideologies because of the fact that it denounces a lot of personalities and groups (same can be said with many other religions as well) I do apologize though if I come off ass denouncing your religion, I just don't agree with the views. religious beliefs are always 100% fine as long as they aren't using those to cause harm to others

There are many different groups of buddhism but the majority of them don't really care what you do or who you are as long as you show faith in bettering yourself and the world because that's all that really matters. The two main groups of buddhism are mahayana and theravada but I would consider myself secular theravadin buddhist; secular because i don't believe that there is a god watching over us, only that there is the infinite existing universe. theravadin because i personally identify with the beliefs and ideologies on a greater level than with mahayana.
I'm muslim because my family really makes me do it, but I do enjoy being faithful to god in the end. I don't follow it like most people do (im not on halal diet, I eat whatever the forget I want) but I still fast during the year and do zakat. I don't actually pray five times a day because I'm not as devout as I should be. The mosques that I go to normally say that it's alright to believe in whatever I want but there will be a final judgement and I have to make the decision to be a servant of allah in the end. They dont like hold me at gunpoint and call me an infidel.

I dont have any religious goals in life; i simply choose my beliefs as it better suits me as an individual.

As for buddhism, they really don't care about whatever you believe in. You could be a buddhist monk and believe in christianity and they would still treat you like one of them (except in extremist countries). I kinda merge the two beliefs and I think that whatever good things I do in real life will reflect how my next life goes.