Let's play: TA Spring

Author Topic: Let's play: TA Spring  (Read 15960 times)

most of the content on this page is stoled from letsplaymag, but oh well.

What is TA Spring?

Spring (formerly known as TA Spring or Total Annihilation: Spring), is a full 3D free/open source RTS game engine originally created by the Swedish Yankspankers, intended to bring the gameplay experience of Total Annihilation into three dimensions. The core game engine is licensed under the GNU GPL.

Games are played using one of a number of mods. There is an official release which uses fully free content, and there are also a number of mods available for download which may be used free of charge without owning a copy of TA.

Spring is being developed by the Swedish Yankspankers and the Spring community. The initial goal was to have the game run the mods and 3rd-party units from Total Annihilation. This goal is now mostly complete, and the project has moved on to including additional features. The game is mainly focused around multiplayer games over the Internet or a LAN connection. There are currently a few single player missions, built on the basic support for this through Lua scripting. There are also many skirmish AIs under development, allowing for offline play or extra players in an online game. Two skirmish AIs ship in the game package, as well as three maps and the XTA mod.

Some of the defining features of this game are:

* Large battles, with support for up to 10000 units per player. (How playable this is depends on the CPU power of the computers that are running the game. Everything is synchronized with all player's CPUs, the slowest CPU is the hard limit of gamespeed.)
* Allows the user to control select units in an FPS style.
* Ability to handle large maps.
* Fully 3D camera view, allowing for complete freedom of movement.
* Easily interchangeable AI and mods.
* Realistic 3D trajectories for projectile and missile weapons
* Fully 3D air combat.
* Detailed terrain. Some maps are directly exported from terrain rendering tools such as L3DT and Terragen.
* Deformable terrain.
* Compatible with unit files from Total Annihilation, allowing 3rd party units to easily be moved into Spring.
* Up to max 16 players online (32 players are possible with the use of third-party lobby clients).

How do I play?

First, install TA Spring. Make sure you select ALL possible options to download (this may take a while). This'll give you the latest and greatest game mods and modes.

The controls are fairly Starcraft-esque. However, the gameplay is unlike any RTS in the biz. I'll let Wikipedia explain.

Quote:
An aspect of Total Annihilation's units (and thus the game’s quickly ensuing initial popularity), which no other real-time strategy game of its time was capable of realizing (and even most RTSs today), is its hierarchical proportionality. In most RTSs, one unit is quickly prone to destruction from multiple other types, such as, for example in the Command & Conquer series, a general rocket trooper’s utter uselessness against other infantry. This is because Command & Conquer uses, like most other RTS games, the so-called rock-paper-scissor principle. All units in TA are scaled proportionally; a higher-technology unit which requires more resources to produce, with some exceptions, is generally able to successfully destroy any type of lesser unit beneath it in ranking if pitted together in combat. Players do not need to use any specific "destroyer" unit to quickly defeat a particular type of enemy; lower-technology units are almost absolutely weaker than and can be proportionally destroyed by anything of higher technological ranking.

So, you may have three of the same unit (builder), but at three different technology levels. I'll give you a hint, Level 3 is better than Level 1.

What are the system requirements?

Detailed requirements are located here, however, if you have a 2.0GHz CPU and better-than-onboard video, you should be able to play with most of the details on. If not, then just scale 'em back.

Screenshots, please!

WHAR IS DOWNLOD?!

Harrrrrr

http://spring.clan-sy.com/

Enjoy, and maybe we can play some time, my ingame name is Nige111, if you had never of guessed. >_>

HERE'S A TECH TREE FOR YOU.

Here is a basic tech tree for ya guys.

Commander->lvl 1 Kbot lab, Vehicle plant, Aircraft plant, shipyard
Lvl 1->Kbot lab->Construction kbot->Lvl2 Kbot lab->Lvl 2 Construction kbot->Lvl 3 Mech gantry(builds most powerful units in the game(details bellow)
Core: Krogoth(MASSIVE firepower, can crush small units+tanks but walking over them, 133700 health),Juggernaut(has 400000 HP, very hard to stop, low firepower), karganiths(low firepower+health, all terrain),Rocket mech(fires huge volley of high power missiles, extremely low health, takes long time to build).

Arm: Bantha(1/2 health and firepower of krogoth,1/2 cost/build speed),Razorback(arm equivalent of karganith, not all terain, low firepower, good against infantry and lvl1 vehicles), Vanguard(all terrain heavy artillery, excellent for assaulting bases from long range).

Both arm and core have amphibious siege mechs(can travel underwater but are vulnerable to submarines, good for sneak attacks on maps with water)

Lvl 1->Vehicle plant->lvl 1 Construction V.->Lvl 2 Vehicle plant->Lvl 2 Construction V.->Advanced Fusion reactor(3x power of normal fusion reactor)

Lvl 1->Aircraft plant->lvl 1 Construction Aircraft->Lvl 2 Aircraft plant->Lvl 2 Construction aircraft->Seaplane platform(can only be built at sea, planes can land on water, more powerful then standard planes)

Lvl 1->Shipyard->Construction ship->Lvl 2 Shipyard->Lvl 2 Construction submarine->Seaplane platform (can only be built at sea, planes can land on water, more powerful then standard planes)

This is just for factories that can only be built by certain units. All lvl2 builder units can build the standard lvl 2 structures(exception of lvl 2 construction submarine which builds the underwater/surface equivalent of most lvl 2 ground buildings)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 01:02:29 AM by stevey1000 »

epic, I've been sat in the ingame irc for half an hour talking about stuff I have no clue on. :F

epic, I've been sat in the ingame irc for half an hour talking about stuff I have no clue on. :F
lol

Im downloading too.

Maybe we can all fight? :D

nowai we should do 3v3 us 3 against 3 bots

it would be epic fun, since none of us will knowhow to play properly, all I know how to do is build stuff and upgrade my command0r.

Downloading. The terrain looks great, but the vehicles and such don't...

It looks fun, anyways.

considering how many there are its probably to reduce lag

nowai we should do 3v3 us 3 against 3 bots

it would be epic fun, since none of us will knowhow to play properly, all I know how to do is build stuff and upgrade my command0r.
I can host :3
Pass is Blockland?

shure.

ninja edit: make server name and pass Blockland

im still downloading shiz in installer

k i tryed to join but i no has right mod or something

*downloads

Downloading. The terrain looks great, but the vehicles and such don't...

It looks fun, anyways.
it's an RTS intended to have thousands of units onscreen at once.