Nintendo Switch Revealed

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Revealed  (Read 22218 times)

The switch should be more powerful than the Wii U, as far as I know.
its being made with NVidia parts, apparently. no reason it wouldnt be in that case.

The Mario game at 2:11 might be a sort of sequel to Super Mario 64, Jacksfilms pointed this out but now i can't find his comment, but the game shown on screen has Mario doing a triple jump, and the planet isn't rounded, so it can't be a Galaxy title, and i think he mentioned something about a spinning heart like the ones from Super Mario 64

with the nvidia stuff its like a shield 2

here are some things that will be 99% guaranteed:

the battery life will be anywhere from 3-5 hours while gaming, this is using nvidias older tegra hardware as a comparison where it has an impressive 10 hours of battery life but immediately plummets to 3-5 hours when you utilize the added power. this battery life isnt terrible tbh especially if you can charge it off of a USB power supply.

as for power: depends on what this tegra chip actually is, if it's a customized version of the X1 (extremely unlikely) then it will be only slightly more powerful then the wii u.
but the other 2 chips nvidia has announced are marketed as automotive chips and xavier is slated for release in late 2017.
the x2 however is also marketed for cars. but so was the x1 and we know where that went.
and the x2 is said to be almost as powerful as the ps4 and xb1 in power. i honestly believe it after seeing the X1 and what that was capable of, but even if it equals our current ps4 and xb1s in power this means it will be behind the ps4 pro and xbox one scorpio. but nintendo would also have an excuse because they have the portability advantage now.

as for developer adoption: nintendo is really letting up on these backwards restrictions now? good, it will help them in the long run. and the ARM architecture is so incredibly easy to develop for (even easier to port) and sees massive adoption in development for smartphones and all that will also help nintendo see increased third party developer support.

as for what is not nearly as lovey: the fact that it's still a portable unit. to be more precise: the lack of a dvd/blu ray drive.
yes the switch is using cartridges because a blu ray drive even if they could fit it in would not work out when it comes to actual battery life, this is more of an issue with developers then with us but this could make publishers stuff their pants unless they managed to keep costs extremely low for the publisher on producing said cartridges.

imo this is all a fantastic idea and i can't wait to see more details.

aw cool
i feel like this is what the wii u gamepad dreams of being

I'm actually pretty underwhelmed because this just feels like the WiiU with a couple extra gimmicks attached; like is anyone honestly ever going to play split screen with those tiny controller-halves? guaranteed your hands are gonna hurt after 20 minutes like trying to play smash with a sideways wiimote

all I want to know is if this is completely replacing their handheld consoles, which I would hope is unlikely considering the size of the main unit, but nintendo is infamously clueless

But skyrim on a loving plane tho

The design of the thing is neat, but I worry that many moving parts may just reduce the lifespan of the console. Just more parts to break or lose.

I hadn't thought about the Switch potentially replacing the 3DS. Ill hold onto hope that this is just their way of making the Wii U gamepad more long-range and NOT a replacement.

I wonder if you'll be able to use the normal controller instead of the smaller ones while portable

This is the first Nintendo product I'm interested in.

this is pretty much all i want in life, though if you lose one of the smaller controllers your screwed.

I wonder if you'll be able to use the normal controller instead of the smaller ones while portable
Yup.

2:45, they're playing Splatoon with the controllers.

what the forget from software?
excitement

The switch should be more powerful than the Wii U, as far as I know.

That's not very hard though

I'm actually pretty underwhelmed because this just feels like the WiiU with a couple extra gimmicks attached; like is anyone honestly ever going to play split screen with those tiny controller-halves? guaranteed your hands are gonna hurt after 20 minutes like trying to play smash with a sideways wiimote

all I want to know is if this is completely replacing their handheld consoles, which I would hope is unlikely considering the size of the main unit, but nintendo is infamously clueless
You can always bring the pro controllers to play I believe.

this is pretty much all i want in life, though if you lose one of the smaller controllers your screwed.
I'm sure they will sell these separately as well, unlike the wii u controller, the smaller side controllers can be manufactured more so it's very likely to be able to sell in a package

By the way, Nvidia posted a blog about the perfomance of the Switch.
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/
It seems to be very promissing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:37:25 PM by Filipe »