Paladins - its overwatch but free

Poll

which is better

overwatch
34 (82.9%)
paladins
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Paladins - its overwatch but free  (Read 4148 times)

thank you charlesspeaking for taking a forgetton of time out to edit my various mistakes in this

i've recently started playing paladins and its good so i figured it deserves a thread here because its different enough from overwatch that i can't post my paladins accomplishments in the overwatch thread

What is it?
Its Overwatch but free. You chose a character out of 18 and kill people. I'm not sure if there's a backstory but even if there is who cares its probably not as good as Overwatch's lore anyways.

There's three different gamemodes:
1. Casual capture the point. In this gamemode you capture a point and then push a payload to the enemy's base if you successfuly capture the point. This is the Overwatch gamemode. Class selection is different from Overwatch though, because you can't have more than 1 of the same character on a team, and there's only 5 players per team. This means you can't pick 6 Winstons like you can in Overwatch.

2. Casual Payload. In this gamemode there is only the payload -- no capture point -- and you have to push it along like TF2. You have a certain time frame to push it, and there's no payload checkpoints that increase this time limit.

3. Competitive. Its just like casual capture the point but only good players are allowed in. To play competitive, you need to level up 12 of your characters to at least level 4 (note: this takes a long ass time. it took me about 24 hours to rank up 12 characters to level 4). There is a class selection gimmick though: Only 1 or 2 players can select their class at a time, which gives your team time to plan what characters they want to pick (theoretically anyways, none of the teams i played on actually talked strategy). In addition to this, you can see the characters your enemy picks and you can't pick characters they already chose.

There's also a custom server gamemode where you can host your own servers but nobody cares about that.

This is different to Overwatch because some of the characters are different (although most are very similar to preexisting Overwatch heros), but moreso because of its card system. Cards provide various buffs for your character and can be swapped out for others. For instance, you could build a card deck for a character that makes themselves dash faster and makes their various abilites recharge quicker. These cards can amplify efficient playstyles and allow players to play as good as they possibly can. If you want a more in-depth brown townysis, watch this.

You can also buy perks for your character while in the match. You can make your character regen health for every kill, or make them move faster, or make them do more damage to shields, etc. To purchase a perk you need credits, and credits are gained in the match based on the amount of things you do. If you do a good amount of shielding as a Reinhardt-like character, you'll get credits. If you do a forgetton of damage, you'll get credits. You'll get credits while you heal teammates. Credits are really easy to earn if you're decent at playing any character.

Champions/Heros
There's 18 different characters to chose from, sorted into 4 different classes: Frontline, damage, support, and flank. Note: I've never played Overwatch but I have tried to include the Overwatch equivalents of these characters in my list.

Frontline Champions:

Name: Barik
Overwatch Equivalent: Torbjörn
Description: Has a shotgun that deals 600 damage per hit.
Meant to push forward using his turrets and shields.
Abilities: Can place turrets and a stationary Reinhardt-esque shield. Also has a dash ability to run away like a bitch.
Ultimate: His ultimate places a spherical shield with a flamethrower turret inside.

Name: Fernando
Overwatch Equivalent: Reinhardt
Description: Has a flamethrower that deals 300 damage per second and has a bigass shield exactly like Reinhardt's.
Meant to push forward due to his high hp and his shield that protects teammates from damage.
Abilities: Has a fireball attack that launches a 450 damage fireball at others and a charge that isn't like Reinhardt's but is more of a dash.
Ultimate: His ultimate makes it so that nearby teammates and himself cannot be brought below 1500 hp.

Name: Makoa
Overwatch Equivalent: Roadhog
Description: Has a cannon that shoots non-explosive cannonballs that deal 600 damage per second, and a right-click grapple hook that brings enemies to like like Roadhog.
Meant to head an assault/stay on the objective due to his huge amount of hp.
Abilities: Has a spherical  shield that protects himself and teammates from damage. Also has a shell spin dash that damages enemies on hit and launches him forwards.
Ultimate: His ultimate gives him +5000 hp and a melee weapon that does 600 damage on hit. Note: he can still use his grappling hook during his ult.

Name: Ruckus
Overwatch Equivalent: D.Va
Description: Has miniguns that deals 1325 damage per second and has a forgetton of hp.
Meant to head an assault and die because he doesn't actually have that much hp.
Abilities: Has a shield that protects him from damage and a buff that boosts the defenses of nearby teammates. Also has a dash that allows him to move in any direction quickly.
Ultimate: His ultimate gives him rockets and basically allows him to kill the entire enemy team.

Damage Champions:

Name: Viktor
Overwatch Equivalent: Soldier 76
Description: Has a machine gun with right-click iron sights that improves accuracy.
Meant to deal a stuffton of damage.
Abilities: Can sprint forever, but can't shoot, and also has a grenade that does up to 750.
Ultimate: His ultimate gives him a pair of binoculars that you use to mark targets for an airstrike.

Name: Kinessa
Overwatch Equivalent: Widowmaker
Description: Has a sniper rifle that deals up to 1000 damage and doubles as a carbine while not scoped in.
Scoping in charges your sniper rifle up like TF2 but a lot quicker and deals a forgetton of damage on hit.
Meant to kill stuff.
Abilities: Mines that slow people down and a tiny throwable spaceship that teleports her to a specific location.
Ultimate: Her ultimate allows her to charge up her scope shot twice as fast and deal 50% more damage on headshots.

Name: Drogoz
Overwatch Equivalent: Pharah
Description: Has a rocket launcher that deals 950 damage per hit. Has a jetpack that allows him to boost up into the air by holding the jump button.
Also has a spit ability on right-click that deals 150 damage and makes enemies take an additional 30% damage for 4 seconds.
Meant to kill stuff.
Abilities: His abilities include a jetpack booster which shoots him upwards.
Also has an attack that loads up all your rockets at once and fires them beggars bazooka style, but deals less damage.
Ultimate: His ultimate makes him rocket forward demoknight/reinhardt style and instantly kills enemies on hit.

Name: Cassie
Overwatch Equivalent: Hanzo
Description: Has a bow and arrow that deals 700 damage on hit and fires every 0.75 seconds so yeah she's op.
Meant to kill stuff.
Abilities: Has a shot that knocks an enemy backwards on direct hit and a low-damage explosive shot that reduces enemy healing by 50% for 3 seconds.
Also has a dash to get away from close scrapes.
Ultimate: Her ultimate gives everybody on her team wallhacks for 8 seconds.

Name: Bomb King
Overwatch Equivalent: Junkrat
Description: Has sticky bombs that deal up to 900 damage that he can throw every half second and remotely detonate.
Meant to deny the enemy area using his stun bombs and knockback bombs.
Abilities: Has a big bomb that stuns enemies nearby on explosion and a knock back bomb that sends enemies and you flying across the map.
Ultimate: His ultimate turns him into a bigass bomb that he can roll around with and explode to stun/damage enemies.

Support Champions:

Name: Mal'damba
Overwatch Equivalent: ???
Description: Has a cobra that spits stuff that deals up to 900 damage per second.
Reloading the cobra makes the hero throw it at others which deals up to 550 damage and stuns enemies for 1 second what the forget is that even.
Has a right-click ability that makes him dash forward, making him unhittable for half a second during the dash.
Meant to heal the team.
Abilities: Can heal players individually for 280 health per second for a total of 5 seconds.
Also can throw down a puddle of venom that heals allies for 280 health per second and damages enemies for 200 per second.
Ultimate: His ultimate throws a jar that fears enemies which removes control from their character and forces them to run away.
Also makes them take an additional 20% damage.

Name: Grohk
Description: Has a laser beam that deals up to 850 damage per second.
Meant to heal the team and provide damage.
Abilities: Has a totem pole that he can place that will heal teammates for 340 hp every second for 6 seconds.
Also has an ability that makes him faster and undamageable for 1.5 seconds.
Ultimate: His ultimate damages nearby enemies for 200, and heals nearby teammates for 1000 hp per second and speeds them up as well. It lasts 3 seconds.

Name: Grover
Description: Has an axe that deals up to 1200 damage depending on distance, and has a right-click ability that throws an axe that slows down players.
Also heals nearby teammates for about 50 health per second.
Meant to heal the team and provide damage.
Abilities: Has a heal ability that heals him and nearby teammates for 1000 hp instantly, and has a grappling vine that pulls him to where ever he aims.
Ultimate: His ultimate heals nearby teammates for 2500 health per second for 5 seconds.

Name: Pip
Description: Has a cannon that fires every second and deals up to 600 damage in an area on hit, and has a right-click ability that deals 150 damage and slows enemies.
Meant to heal the team.
Abilities: Has a heal flask that heals nearby teammates for 1000 hp when it explodes. Also has an ability that makes him jump higher for 3 seconds and removes all debuffs.
Ultimate: His ultimate is a flask that turns nearby enemies into chickens on explosion. You're not going to see that in Overwatch for forgetin sure.

Name: Ying
Description: Has a laser beam that fires in short bursts that deals up to 950 damage per second.
Also has a right-click ability that makes all her illusions chase down enemies and Self Delete bomb them.
Meant to heal the team.
Abilities: Can create multiple illusions of herself that heal a nearby ally for 400 hp per second. Also can swap places with the illusion placed the furthest away.
Ultimate: Her ultimate makes all allies heal for 400 health per second for who knows long the developers certainly don't thanks wiki.

Flank Champions:

Name: Skye
Overwatch Equivalent: Tracer
Description: Has a "wrist-mounted energy crossbow" that deals up to 1500 damage per second (bad over long range however), and has a right-click ability that makes an enemy heal for 50% less for 3 seconds and deals a good amount of damage.
Meant to flank the enemy and be a distraction.
Abilities: Has a smoke screen that hides teammates and yourself from enemies if they're in it.
Also can enter a cloaked state for 3.5 seconds, but enemies can see you if they're close to you.
Ultimate: Her ultimate places a bomb that deals 3000 damage to nearby enemies and destroys any shields placed nearby as well.

Name: Evie
Overwatch Equivalent: Mei
Description: Has an ice staff that fires slow moving rockets every second that deal up to 930 damage.
Also has a right-click ability that turns her into an ice cube that heals her and makes her undamageable and marks enemies and slows enemies. If enemies are marked, your ice staff deals 30% more damage to them.
Meant to flank the enemy and be a distraction and be the most annoying character in the game personality-wise.
Abilities: Has an ability that makes her fly around the map, using her ice staff like a witch's broom.
Also has a blink ability that teleports her forward a short distance and increases her damage output by 30% for 4 seconds.
Ultimate: Her ultimate is a blizzard that slows and damages enemies for 4 seconds.

Name: Buck
Overwatch Equivalent: Buck from Rainbow Six Siege
Description: Has a shotgun that fires every 0.9 seconds and deals 520 damage if all bullets hit, and has a right-click ability that slows an enemy and makes Buck deal 30% more damage to them.
Abilities: Has an ability that makes him jump upwards high into the sky, and deals 350 damage to targets hit by it. Also has an ability that heals 1000 of his health over 4 seconds.
Ultimate: His ultimate resets all his abilitys' cooldowns, fills his ammo, and makes him deal double damage for 6 seconds.

Name: Androxus
Overwatch Equivalent: McCree
Description: Has a revolver that deals up to 620 damage based off distance that fires every half second, and has a right-click ability that fires 3 rounds at once dealing 300 damage per shot.
Abilities: Has an ability that makes him dash and can be used 3 times in a row.
Also has a shield that absorbs damage and releases 75% of it as a single explosive shot after 1.4 seconds.
Ultimate: His ultimate makes him fly for 4 seconds and allows him to fire 4 explosive shots that deal up to 1000 damage.

you better appreciate this characters section because it took 4 hours to do which was 4 hours that i could've spent playing paladins
i see why the overwatch thread characters section is incomplete now

Players
If you want to be added here, post your favorite/best character along with your in-game name.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:15:38 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

I played it during the closed beta and enjoyed it, and it's definitely a nice alternative to Overwatch for anyone who can't afford the $40. Though I don't think I would ever play it over OW unless a friend wanted to and didn't own OW.

overwatch seems to be a lot more polished in its everything from balance to visuals, so i can understand why you would play it over paladins

i am the third best sniper of all time

genuinely really loving fun game to play with friends,  my favourites are evie and buck

I still call the characters in this game the names of the characters in overwatch lol

I still call the characters in this game the names of the characters in overwatch lol
everybody does

My friend showed me this. looks ok

note: team composition doesn't matter for stuff and if you get autistic over it then forget you
i've lost 10 matches in a row due to people intentionally afking because someone picked a class that they didn't want in the team

*overwatch for poor people
ftfy

evie has almost the same exact abilities as mei
note: team composition doesn't matter for stuff and if you get autistic over it then forget you
i hope you dont think this applies to overwatch lol

i hope you dont think this applies to overwatch lol
i heard its worse in overwatch because in overwatch it actually matters

gyt and You are absolutely obsessed with this game