Author Topic: Need A/V Help: Console Audio -> 7.1 Headphones?  (Read 358 times)

I'm pretty good with software and PC Hardware, but I'm useless when it comes to standard A/V stuff, so I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas for this.

I live in a house with other people, and we all work 5 days a week. They have exclusive control over the TVs, while I have my PC with my BenQ RL2455HM Monitor and my Razer Tiamet 7.1 headphones. For most of my gaming through the PC, this is a fantastic setup. Since my PC is right next to the kitchen and in a public space (my room is too small), I need to avoid using speakers or else I piss everybody else off.

I bought Ratchet & Clank 4 and the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection a while back, and I'm soon getting a PS4 for Ratchet while I have my PS3 right here for Metal Gear Solid. My monitor takes a HDMI input, so the visuals are just fine, but audio is an issue. The monitor has a single 3.5mm headphone jack, but I want to use my 7.1 headphones if at all possible (because there's no bass through the standard headphone jack; I might as well just have the audio of a Let's Play running off my PC at the same time and listen to that while I play).

Is there some kind of splitter or workaround I can use, or am I going to have to buy a separate $400 pair of 7.1 headphones for the consoles?

Solved myself:

http://gameidealist.com/gift-guides/best-7-1-surround-sound-ps4-gaming-headsets/
http://n4g.com/news/1891326/custom-ratchet-and-clank-audio-profile-added-to-playstation-gold-and-silver-7-1-vss-headsets

tl;dr: Out of the box, the PS4 doesn't offer 7.1 audio support, but if you buy their specific headset (any of their PS4 Wired/Wireless "Stereo" Headsets, Silver, Gold or the upcoming Platinum), you can download special profiles for selected games (via the Headset Companion App). Guess I'll need to pick it up as part of my purchase.

Locking.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the headsets are backwards compatible with the PS3, which supported up to 7.1 audio playback out of the box (IIRC).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:52:45 PM by McJob »