Author Topic: Server failing to authenticate out of the blue  (Read 992 times)

Yet another problem with my server.
So here's the deal:

I own an external server in a datacenter. I use mstsc to connect to it, and it runs Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I have no idea if this is important, but I'll state it anyways. I am not local to the router, which means that it is impossible for me to port forward(if that's the issue).

On this server, I run multiple blockland servers, many under different Users'.
I run these various servers, by using a .bat file that will more easily allow blockland to run on different ports. This .bat file contains the following:
Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Blockland\BlocklandLauncher.exe" -dedicated -profilePath "C:\Users\tbd1579\Desktop\TBDServer" -port 28200This .bat file is for the user tbd1579, and it is supposed to run on port 28200

The $pref for the port($Pref::Server::Port = "28200";) is also set at 28200, which should eliminate any port problems.

Across any of the blockland users or blockland servers running, I made sure that all of the ports that they are set to run on, are different.

The problem at hand, is that the server fails to authenticate, and fails to Initialize UPnP
Quote from: console.log
--------- Initializing Base: Server ---------------------
Initializing steamAPI...
  SteamAPI initialization failed.
Loading compiled script base/server/mainServer.cs.
Loading compiled script base/server/scripts/game.cs.
Initializing steamAPI...
  SteamAPI initialization failed.

--------- Starting Dedicated Server ---------
Destroying NET Server
Exporting server prefs...

Starting Internet Server
Binding server port to default IP
UDP initialized on port 28200

Initializing UPnP...
--------------------
UPnP Discovery Failed
--------------------
Quote from: console.log
Connect error: 10055
Authentication FAILED: Connection failure.  Retrying in 5 seconds...

Over all of the blockland servers (5 spread over 3 users), all of them fail to authenticate. I double checked to make sure none were running on the same port, and even if they were running on the same port, I tried multiple different ports to see if it would work(and it didn't).
I've also tried re-inputting my key, but the same problem persisted.

console.log
launcher.log

Help??

tl:dr
Server does not authenticate | UPnP fails | I cannot port forward | Problem is occurring on a server in a datacenter(not my computer or a local server) | Problem happened randomly

I think Blockland can only use ports 28000 - 28030
Technically you could give it any port you want, but I think it is hard-coded into the Blockland clients and the authenticator to only allow traffic on these ports.
But I could be completely wrong about this, so correct me if you know more.

Try changing that to see if that helps.

An other thing it might be is that the datacenter has a firewall.
It is usually managed as securely as possible, only opening ports to certain servers if asked to do so.
This is a security issue and UPnP is probably out of the question because of this.

So check if they are open with something like this:
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

The thing about the failing of UPnP is that you will have port forward or it will not work in any way, shape or form.
If you can't port forward or use UPnP, you will not be able to host a reachable server.
Those are the only 2 options you have.
Not even something like Hamachi works.

But it might be fixed if the authentication problem is fixed.
It could be an underlying problem.

blockland can use any port
battlemix was hosted on port 10000 and boss battles is too
i'm hosting servers on ports 40000 and 30000 right now and i can join it

I think Blockland can only use ports 28000 - 28030
An other thing it might be is that the datacenter has a firewall.
It is usually managed as securely as possible, only opening ports to certain servers if asked to do so.
This is a security issue and UPnP is probably out of the question because of this.
I've always had an Inbound rule that allows blockland to run on port 28000, and even hosting on that port doesn't work.

The thing about the failing of UPnP is that you will have port forward or it will not work in any way, shape or form.
If you can't port forward or use UPnP, you will not be able to host a reachable server.
But why would it randomly stop working out of the blue?
Like, I've had port problems a bit similar to this before, but it never failed to authenticate. It just would not allow me to connect, or UPnP would fail, I'd mess with the ports a bit, and it'd start working again.

Ok, so after doing and changing absolutely nothing, everything is working again. Just went from errors right to working properly.

Idfk what happened, it would be nice if I knew how to prevent this / fix this in the future, but it's great that everything is working again.

If anybody knows the source of the problem / how to fix it, that'd still be a huge help.

I am assuming it's caused by port hijacks, I had this issue numerous times about a month or so ago. The best way is killing anything related to Blockland and then try again. Other applications on your computer could be conflicting as well.