Port Forwarding not working on separate modem and router?

Author Topic: Port Forwarding not working on separate modem and router?  (Read 931 times)

I haven't been able to host any games that require port forwarding since we've changed from a modem/router combo to a separate router and modem.

I reentered all of our ports in the router page and I reconfigured my static IP, no dice.
Ideas?

My friend has the same problem. I'd be interested in finding out the answer too

Some routers need to be restarted.

i've always had this setup and never had any trouble. are you behind multiple routers?

i've always had this setup and never had any trouble. are you behind multiple routers?
In the case of multiple routers, wouldn't you have to do some messing around with NAT and routing tables?

In the case of multiple routers, wouldn't you have to do some messing around with NAT and routing tables?
i'm pretty sure it's just as simple as port forwarding to your second router from your main one, and then port forwarding from your second router to your computer

i helped a friend who was behind two routers port forward once and that was the solution

No, just one router and one modem.

See if it has an admin panel, on my old setup I had to forward my ports on both the modem and the router. If there's no panel that should mean all the ports are open.

No, just one router and one modem.
Are you absolutely sure the modem is just a modem? I've seen modems that actually have a router too, but for some reason only have one ethernet port, so people don't realize it.

Log in to the access panel and see what's there, if it actually is just a modem, there will only be a couple tabs for really basic stuff like connection status and signal strength

Ok so I had no idea my modem even had an access panel, so this is progress.
And better yet none of my forwarded ports are in there so I'm sure that's the issue.

edit: So it turns out the modem can actually be a router too and was set to modem+router mode, but if I switch it to be just a modem I lose connection. Ideas?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:38:52 PM by Sitrus »

is the modem a "modem" or a modem/router device.
if you add your own router to it, you need to disable the router half of the modem/router and bridge them.

otherwise you are using two firewalls for the sake of loving yourself.

Set the modem as router and your router as a gateway and use it as a switch.

edit: So it turns out the modem can actually be a router too and was set to modem+router mode, but if I switch it to be just a modem I lose connection. Ideas?
My first guess would be that the two have different IP address classes (ie one uses 10.x.x.x and the other uses 192.168.x.x) and since you set the computer with a static IP, it can't switch between the two.

So start by removing your static IP and seeing what happens. If that's not it, then I don't have any other ideas at the moment

Set the modem as router and your router as a gateway and use it as a switch.
nah, you're better off disabling the router part from the modem. The configuration is much easier that way
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:00:19 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

I hecked something up and the ip of the modem page changed. How do I find the new page? It isn't gonna be routerlogin because that's the router.