Author Topic: In this thread everyone rants about how stuff steam workshop has become  (Read 3142 times)

Oh yea lets not forget the people who modify the Valve, Add This Please! comment and add "And Give Me One Too!" Like jesus christ I did this when I was 12/13

i'm afraid to publish any of my gmod maps because of stuff like this

cancer
so loving true

I hate when people reupload a HL2 swep and all do they just edit the damage the weapon does and it makes like a one hit kill or make a lame retexture
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:17:45 PM by cooolguy32 »

lets not forget the many FNAF addons

not everybody is just doing it for the "uunnhhh muh waifu" factor,

i understand this

some people just don't give a stuff about the already-not-serious atmosphere/world of the games they port random crap into, anime or not...

i never said or implied that you are not allowed to do non-serious things. as an add-on content creator though, just sticking with the same bad, "non-serious" content isn't going to learn you or help you on anything unless if you choose to do it that way on and on, and that isn't a problem, however it's just irritating in my perspective and many other people might agree to it. i don't care what their purpose is and i don't care if it's them being serious or not, a bad add-on is still a bad add-on, and there's no problem with thinking this way.

i dont see the problem with putting your favorite things from one thing into another favorite of yours,

again, never said that it's a problem when you like sharing your add-on to the community regardless if it's bad or not. it's the clear thought and effort put into it.

god forbid it makes sense with the world or things would be a hella lot duller than they already are on the workshop

what is this supposed to mean?

people think that my rant is getting a "stop liking what i don't like!" message and that is not the case whatsoever. i focus on the effort, care and thought more than just the "what-if" concept. that was the point i was supposed to give out, but i guess i seemed to let it out in a too aggressive manner, and that is my mistake. i don't personally care if the person decides to replace the tf2 heavy as pinkie pie, but if that's the case then it shouldn't be in glitching, bland, or straight-up trash levels of bad for the sake of that one "what-if" though. years ago that's what i've seen half the time when i used steam workshop

as for the other add-ons that were addressed by op, i'd simple agree with them and say it's annoying.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:52:54 PM by Timestamp »

as an add-on content creator though, just sticking with the same bad, "non-serious" content isn't going to learn you or help you on anything unless if you choose to do it that way on and on, and that isn't a problem
actually, when you refer to bad, "non-serious", are you referring to the kind of addons that are just glitchy model swaps or such just "because it looks funny" or something? in those cases it's definitely a bit of a problem to do, but i was moreso referring to the more cartoony/anime/joke addons that actually do have a bit of effort put into them to actually make them look right

however it's just irritating in my perspective and many other people might agree to it. i don't care what their purpose is and i don't care if it's them being serious or not, a bad add-on is still a bad add-on, and there's no problem with thinking this way.
i understand that a lot of people may get irritated by the sheer amount of some addons, like the amount of anime mods going around or simple flashlight retextures of some random image that barely doesn't cross over the nsfw border so i really don't blame you there, it can get really out of hand.
there's also always a larger surplus of bad content over good in most of the workshops as well but it can't really be helped as long as people are actually going to learn from their mistakes, though most don't unfortunately

again, never said that it's a problem when you like sharing your add-on to the community regardless if it's bad or not. it's the clear thought and effort put into it.
it's always better to see good, effort-filled addons than sloppy messes; i did think you were just referring to some mods that fit into the joking kind of category, but still have the effort put in to make them function properly so that's my bad

what is this supposed to mean?
this is just my own 2 cents since i'd rather get some oddities into whatever the workshop supports rather than the same theme of the game all the time

i don't personally care if the person decides to replace the tf2 heavy as pinkie pie, but if that's the case then it shouldn't be in glitching, bland, or straight-up trash levels of bad for the sake of that one "what-if" though. years ago that's what i've seen half the time when i used steam workshop
i can respect that & i understand where you're coming from now that it's been cleared up, as i do get quite annoyed myself with the low-effort addons that come out in swarms over content that's been worked well on; it's happened to my own addons before in the left 4 dead 2 workshop as well

the reason there can be so many stuffty mods is because its much less technically difficult to figure out how to draw a texture map compared to modeling and uv mapping a model and creating a texture for it. as long as the difficulty to make a simple edit to the game is easy, you will always get stuff mods. this is why the decals and prints board has historically been filled with subpar addons and barely anyone checks it regularly. less so, but still sorta true for the music category.

actually, when you refer to bad, "non-serious", are you referring to the kind of addons that are just glitchy model swaps or such just "because it looks funny" or something? in those cases it's definitely a bit of a problem to do, but i was moreso referring to the more cartoony/anime/joke addons that actually do have a bit of effort put into them to actually make them look right

yes, and other problems too such as bland modelling (if they choose to do it on their own), bad texture to said model, and etc. other add-ons like sounds and etc are completely different stories.

in those cases it's definitely a bit of a problem to do, but i was moreso referring to the more cartoony/anime/joke addons that actually do have a bit of effort put into them to actually make them look right

those people are alright.

i'm not an add-on maker in steam workshop (i damn sure would love to be one since i'm really interested in coding gamemodes for gmod) and i probably would not understand the difficulty people go through when making these add-ons, making the result turn out flawed in glitchy levels and etc but i think a way around it is that they could simply get people to test the add-on and they will have lesser issues in the add-on.

it's always better to see good, effort-filled addons than sloppy messes; i did think you were just referring to some mods that fit into the joking kind of category, but still have the effort put in to make them function properly so that's my bad

i think it's my fault for not addressing it in the rant in the first place

oh well, stuff happens

Maxx, if you dont want memey people just dont make tornado maps. They attract stuffty youtubers like a tornado attracts newsreporters IRL.
what do you mean
"if you dont want a few handicaps coming on and commenting just defeat yourself and dont even make the maps you like making"
i do it for fun
thats like saying if you dont want people eating your cake just dont even make one

just smack the forget outta the people and tell them to go get their own cake