Author Topic: Asymmetrical Multiplayer game ideas?  (Read 1228 times)

With games like Evolve, Dead by Daylight, and the upcoming Friday the 13th game, I was thinking "what if we could create a game similar to those on Blockland?"

It's not necessarily similar to Boss Battles, I was thinking more on the line, that both teams have an objective to complete, and it's not the same general objective like in other games. Basically, a team has their own objective and another has their very own. I think it would be pretty cool if we could all pitch in and come up with various ideas. Not only would it be pretty sick, it will also be very fun, if executed correctly. What are your thoughts and ideas?

I think that there is a multitude of amazing ideas that haven't been attempted in Blockland yet and would make for great gameplay, but they all would require a dedicated coder.

like me

or some very good eventing

I do like me some good asymmetrical game modes
I tried making something like G-Mod Guess Who, except I didn't really draw inspiration from that because at the time I don't think I'd even seen it. I still haven't played it. It's called Hunter/Hunted for lack of a better name.

Here's how it works, though I made it this way so it would work with existing addons and a really simple one:
-Bots have guns. These are standard bots, spawned from holes. They're neutral, and don't have a skin.
-Hunted have fake guns. They fire, and they do knock others back, but they do zero damage. (I think there's a modification discussion thing where I asked how I would go about this, and eventually figured it out with people's help.) They're forced to have the default skin, so they don't have to worry about not matching the bots.
-Hunters have real guns too. They have to figure out which of the noob-like players running around is really a bot and which is a player before time is up. Sometimes it's hard.

When a hunter hurts a bot and not a player, that bot will attempt to murder them. Hunters have limited lives and time. If they run out of either, the Hunted win. If there are environmental hazards, a hunted player can attempt to use the fake gun to shove a hunter into their death, or in a crCIA, to move them out of the way for an escape.

It works, but I don't host it because of the following two issues:
-The owner of the bots must be in the Slayer minigame, or the bots aren't part of it. This means no dedicated hosting.
-I don't have a map. I tried building one but I suck at building.

Basically, a team has their own objective and another has their very own.

maybe its the job for both teams to figure out what their objective is, then complete the opposing team's objective before the team does theirs