Author Topic: elite dangerous, life is feudal, or the division  (Read 2034 times)

so its right around treat yo self oclock and im torn between which game to get (all are on sale). i want something i can put lots of time into, but not all at once (between work and school i dont have a lot of free time every day). life is feudal seems really fun, butttt ive kinda been turned off to these "early access open world survival" games based on past experiences, so i want to know if this brings anything new to the table.

i like space a lot, so ED is very attractive. i like harsh survival games and medieval games so LIF is attractive. i like squad based, multiplayer shooters (and its open world? dope yo) so the division is attractive. any suggestions from people who already own these games? and anyone who wants to play with me once i buy one just hmu 

Grindfest, minecraft v.2 or grindfest v.2

i also wanna know if the division is worth it. i heard it got WAYY better since patch 1.4 so i think i'm finally ready to hop on

i also wanna know if the division is worth it. i heard it got WAYY better since patch 1.4 so i think i'm finally ready to hop on
see thats what i heard, i was completely against the idea of buying it before, but now it looks promising.

honestly im just looking for any game that has a rich multiplayer experience

i just hit 300 hours in ED, so i guess i could weigh in on my experience with it and you could decide if it's for you or not. if you have questions on anything feel free to ask or hmu on steam here

so starting off in elite is probably the most difficult of things. there are a lot of keybinds and piloting is not easy with a keyboard at first, it feels unnatural (but i've gotten really proficient with it, after binding a few extra utilities.) the tutorials are "okay" now that they redid them but they miss a lot of points and teaching players things for more comfortable flying. if you practice doing missions and combat at nav beacons in solo at the starting area systems you should have a fair grip on how to do things. making money is obviously what you have to do to progress, and a lot of the big grinds for money have been nerfed to stuff recently. that being said, it's still possible to make money and have fun, you dont have to be making profits of 20,000,000 at a time to have fun. i've been playing a lot with a friend who's new and combat in this game really clicked for him, so i've been winging up with him and bounty hunting with him a lot. we pull probably 500k to 700k per run. to put that into perspective, the ship he just recently got after 50 hours of gameplay is considered to be a great bounty hunting ship (the vulture) and cost him about 5 mil to buy and 2 mil to outfit decently.

this game has a lot of niches for what you want to do. there's no "endgame," you simply find something fun to do and you do that. since you said you're looking for a rich multiplayer experience that's a bit of a weakpoint but powerplay is being changed around a bit to be fun again so i'll explain that a bit. theres 10 or so big factions in the game that players can join (or not at all, if you wish) and work for. each faction controls a chunk of human inhabited space and the controlled areas are influenced by player actions in each system. different factions require players to do different things to promote the expansion of their controlled areas. some require you to engage in combat, some require you to trade or finance in other systems. tbh it's a lot of fun to get involved with the people who love powerplay, group up with them and have community efforts to turn the tide in a faction war.

multiplayer in this game is extremely reliant on you finding a community somewhere online to get involved with, because it's rare for you to find people in open play that will interact with you at all. inara has an entire section of their site dedicated to posting wings and getting players hooked up with them to play. they're a lot of fun to get involved with, a lot do combat but there's also community organized "expeditions" to explore certain parts of space which are really awesome. the community for this game as a whole is one of the nicest i've participated in

anyways i wrote a lot and i dont like making walls of text so if you got any questions like i said just ask

i mean that sounds like everything i want in a game tbh, space games are right up my alley. im glad to hear the grinding got nerfed quite a bit because that was what i heard peoples biggest beef with the game was.

ill poke around some more but ED seems like my top choice right now, only worry i have is if itll run well on my laptop

the division is actually a lot of fun
I wouldn't mind playing it with you guys if you get it

i mean that sounds like everything i want in a game tbh, space games are right up my alley. im glad to hear the grinding got nerfed quite a bit because that was what i heard peoples biggest beef with the game was.

ill poke around some more but ED seems like my top choice right now, only worry i have is if itll run well on my laptop

this game actually runs pretty damn nice on the low end. the low settings are optimised well and youll have some decent fps even on integrated graphics.

would you say the dlc is worth it? it seems like a lot of content is included in the horizon expansion, but its just as expensive as the game itself

would you say the dlc is worth it? it seems like a lot of content is included in the horizon expansion, but its just as expensive as the game itself
without the expansion you'll be severely crippled in PVP
it adds a bunch of powerful stuff, so you'll be much weaker against someone with DLC weaponry
i don't know what it adds for the trader aspect of the game

dont buy the dlc til you know you actually enjoy the game. it's definitely worth it if you know you like the game. as auzman said it adds the ability to modify weapons and gives a huge advantage for PVP but tbh it's going to be a really long time before you find yourself doing any substantial pvp (even i don't do much at all)

but yeah, if you find something in the game that you seem to enjoy def get the expansion.

I hear Life is Feudal is really bad when it comes to being updated, but it has some pretty interesting looking rp servers if you're into that sorta thing.

Horizons is ESSENTIAL if you plan to do any sort of PVP, since it introduced custom modules. You'll be destroyed without them, unless you target players far weaker than you (which I'm okay with).

Other than that, it's pretty meh. You can land on planets but there isn't a lot to do down there other than missions and mining--both of which can be done more easily in space. Passengers are basically extremely bitchy cargo that think they own the place. Ship-launched fighters look good, but the only real point I see for them is launching out Eagles to delay pirates while your cargo-ship escapes, and honestly I think it would be more profitable to just trade out the launch-rooms for more cargo racks and occasionally die/lose your cargo. Co-op piloting looks like short-term fun, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to desperately be a part of a 4-man Anaconda team.

tbh it's going to be a really long time before you find yourself doing any substantial pvp (even i don't do much at all)
Nah, Eravate and LHS 1447 (the starting systems) are choke-full of Sidewinders and Eagles you can face off against early on. When I get bored I go down there and pirate Sidewinders. I never kill them (they can't even pierce my Vulture shields) but I do interdict them and terrorize them for a bit. It sounds richardish (and it is) but I think it's fun for everyone involved. Escaping from a pirate is thrilling.

so i bought the division for ps4 because it was 50% off so why not. i think i might wait for steams christmas sale to get ED because ill probably end up getting the dlc as well

might also get this new spacehulk warhammer game, looks p dope